Axle vesc thread

Conformal coatings :smiley:

Got my VESCS. Initial impressions are… unfortunately poor. The shrink looks awful, the wires look like they were recycled from something else. Soldering job is pretty poor as well, and there’s carbon over some of the wires and shrink. There’s also some sort of coating on the entirety of the board, though it’s not consistent. Some of the pins from the hall sensors and other ports have protruding pins which can potentially short if they pierce the wires, though they’re not nearly as long as Enertion’s first batch of VESCs. The PWM pins are also pretty short, so I’m not sure how they’ll hold a servo cable under heavy vibration.

5 Likes

Got mine today as well, Same impression as Jinra. Not happy with the quality

@Jinra @Namasaki really sorry to hear that. You guys can return them and I can send you some new ones if you’d like.

God that looks aweful…how could you even ship that to someone.

I’ll take you up on that. Can you send them with caps and cap board loose and ill wire it up myself?

I can fix some of the issues myself, so I’ll hold onto them for now. Post purchase service says a lot about a company so I appreciate the offer. We’ll see if I encounter any issues down the road.

2 Likes

Jeez that looks so bad. Good luck

You cant really judge a book by its cover, in my opinion it looks pretty low quality, but how is the performance?

Tbh the board looks alright, just need to get the soldering right and ditch the coating (or do it right). The cables look a bit stiff (cheap ass car audio wires)??? More importantly none of the VESC’s I have seen do come in an ESD protective package, not necessary here???

Same here, quality seems pretty poor. Going to resolder the wires until my order of more 12 and 10awg comes in. I don’t like the messy coating to be honest.

Thats a horrible solder job. Did they take a lighter to heat shrink? lol

The wires don’t need to be that heavy. 12g would be heavy enough

I actually think it was exposed to flame given the uneven shrinking and carbon on the outside.

Looks like it, smoky burn marks all over it and uneven shrinkage

I use a lighter all the time for heat shrink, just not for clear as it looks bad.

Need a hot air gun to do shrink wrap correctly. Especially if your going to sell your product to consumers.

2 Likes

I agree, was hoping for a more professional build. I hope it will perform better than it looks.

those dont look like silicone wires, there is a reason for using silicone coated wires, the insulation wont melt under high temperatures. I would change those before riding… Also, to solder those thick wires you need a more powerful soldering iron.

Has someone did a test run so far and could report a first impression?

1 Like