Was lucky enough to buy a used G3 prototype minus esc, battery and remote from George at BajaBoards. Planning to refresh/upgrade as I go along. First of all I’ll be doing a mechanical rebuild and check for any problems.
I’ve ordered two new Optibelt drive (timing) belts, I’ve used these before on various machines and never had a problem. About double the price of the alternatives, I believe the quality is better.
Ordered a complete set of ball bearings Japanese made NSK and Koyo. Although I’m sure the originals are fine I’m not comfortable chancing it on used bearings.
I have stripped one thread out taking the suspension arms apart, so I think I’ll use thread inserts (helicoils) in critical locations.
Some photos of progress so far:
Removed deck and started disassembling suspension.
Removed outdrives, I think ill enlarge the bolts to M5 later.
G3 doesn’t have a retaining groove for the drive shaft boot in the outdrive, so threw them in the lathe and machined one.
This is a 2WD version so I pulled the front axles out and machined off the part to accept a drive shaft, no point keeping that extra rotating mass.
I’ve sanded the deck and repainted it, Ill upload the photos when its dry tomorrow.