Battery not Charging!

Hey guys! It’s me again. I’m having an issue with my battery only charging to 70-80%. I just changed the BMS (Supower 10s 60a) because I thought that the one prior was going bad. But it seems to be doing the same thing. I noticed my charger (Enertion fast charger) started turning off and on when it’s gets to 70-80%. Is this part of the BMS working and it’s trying to balance the cells or something? I’m at a loss and really hope I don’t need to replace the battery. Too expensive of a fix for me right now. I have a 10s4p Samsung 22r (green ones) from Chiboards. Anyone have a clue?

Here’s a video of what happens with the charger now.

My guess are some cells got disconnected or died. Check individual group voltages.

1 Like

Thanks @Jinra. I’m a total dummy when it comes to batteries. I just bought a multi-meter but I’m not really sure where to to poke them to. Can you maybe help me with that. Here’s a pick of my battery.

negative to positive for each group of 4 cells. You should be getting 3-4v~ per group. See if you can find one or two not like the others. I can’t edit pictures right now so hard to explain.

1 Like

I really wish I knew where the positive and negative for each cell groups were. Lol. I also wish I knew more about these batteries. FML. Thanks for the input though dude. I really appreciate it!

prod one probe on the bottom left cell group of that picture and the other one to the corresponding terminals of the cell group (in between the cells), start there. Hopefully you can get it. Just try to get that 3-4~v reading. Make sure your multimeter is setup correctly for reading voltage.

EDIT: it looks like the cell groups are numbered on the cells, that should help as well

1 Like

You want to get on Skype quick? It would be a lot easier to explain over video. PM me your Skype username if you want.

2 Likes

I wish I could right now. I actually wrapped up the battery and packed it up in my enclosure (It’s a bitch to take apart) already. I have some family from out of town here at the house until tomorrow morning too. Would you be able to Skype with me tomorrow? I will have the board taken apart in the morning. Thanks a lot dude!!!

I really love this board and hope to get it working like it used to.

1 Like

Yeah no problem, I will be getting lunch or dinner for fathers day tomorrow but before/aftee that is cool with me. I actually have a battery taken apart to use as an example

1 Like

Sweet!!! Thanks a lot dude. I’ll PM you here tomorrow to see if you’re around.

Thanks! That helps me get the picture. I’m going to look at some diagrama of 10s4p batteries just to try and get the hang of how these are setup. And @JLabs is going to help through skype (which will be nice to actually see).

This sounds like it could be a problem with your charger not your BMS or LiPo’s. I feel like the BMS would have, and should have, prevented any cells from being over or under charged and balanced them out appropriately. I do recommend doing what @Jinra said as it should be kinda common practice to make sure there balanced properly but after that if the problem persists maybe try a different power supply.

1 Like

Do you have any recommendations for a power supply @JdogAwesome?

take your volt meter turn the bms and put the negative end of your volt meter on b1 and let it stay there. Put the positive wire on b2 then b3 b4 b5 to get the voltage of each cell groups.

easy peasy

1 Like

Thanks dude. You mean like this right? The voltages differ from each other a bit between a couple series.

@JLabs I got way too busy yesterday to get a hold of you and today is fathers day and didn’t want to bother you. :slight_smile:

Yes that’s exactly what you want to do! I would he worried about the 3.56v group, it varies a lot from the 3.84v. maybe you could consult @barajabali. My guess it that the BMS is trying to protect the pack, thus not charging it (not my complete expertise).

1 Like

Nice. I knew I was trying to over complicate how to check voltages in my head. I for some reason thought I was going to have to take a part the battery (which I can’t do) in order to check the individual series groups. Do you have any clue as to why this would happen? Is it possible to just charge one group at a time that you know of?

Hey sorry for the late reply, been on a road trip and haven’t had service for a while. It really depends on how the charging system works, if the Enertion fast charger is just a 42V power block then really any 42V PSU will work. I personally use a generic 24V PSU to charge my 6S LiPo pack and I adjust the internal pot up a bit to get 25.2V and you could just turn yours down to 42V.

Yeah definitely, just find the cells that you want to charge and connect either a CC/CV PSU to it and just slowly charge it to the same voltage as the other cells or use a LiPo charger like Imax B6 in 1S mode and charge it that way.

1 Like

The voltage should increase lets say battery is charged to 36 volt ist should be looking like this

b1 = 3.6 v b2 = 7.2 v b3 = 10.8 v b4 = 14.4 v

thats how it should look like

1 Like

Thanks @Tobi. That’s about the voltages I got when I did that.