Battery size and weight comparison

HI, I was ready for my build but then I looked closely at upgrading the batteries, from 6s to maybe 8s or 10s ( Zippy 5000mah ) I was afraid of it being much bigger and heavier but now I looked in to it and size wise its not so much difference. So if I go 8s 5000mah with a sk3 245kv motor that would work but if I go 10s it will blow my vesc? but is I want more power can I go 8000mah instead still use the same bms and rest of the electronics or what does the mah if I increase ?

and increase in MAH gives you range, an increase in voltage gives you speed. If you never ridden a powered board before, you will be surprised how much power there is in a 245kv on 6s setup. One of mine is and it will 22mph and tackle most hills.

Increasing the mAh will give you a bigger range, not more power. What ESC do you have? If it’s a VESC it should support 10S normally.

245kv and 6s seems to be a sweet combo especially with the Tacon Big foot

I don’t know about the bigfoot, I dont own one, but I have 1 board with a 260 and 1 board with a 245, I like the 245 better. Its as fast as the 260 and has measurably more torque.

But will A 8s and 245 kv work Well or is 6s better? @Namasaki @mmaner

8s should work, just be sure ti limit your ERPMs, 6s is easier and cheaper, to run and charge.

Okej Thanks

no worries

8s and 245kv is well below the 60k erpm limit 8 x 4.2=33.6v 33.6 x 245=8232 rpm 8232 x 7= 57624 erpm

Really usefull, but What would you go with 6s or 8s?

8s would be better for performance and range More top speed, more torque and more range. Voltage x amp hours = range so you get about the same range with 6s/10000mah as you would with 12s/5000mah

Why do you multiply by 7? Is that a conversion factor?

That factor is for the number of pole pairs in the motor. So if your motor has 14 magnets the factor is 7 14 is standard for 63mm motors

1 Like

14 poles is standard for outrunner motors in general in the sizes used for eskate.

To better answer your question @wmj259, to get electrical rpm which is the what the ESC cares about, you need to take into account the number of magnetic poles in a motor. This number can vary from 2 poles as is in small inrunner motors to 30something or higher in really large outrunner motors.

The equation to get this is: Motor RPM * Number of Poles/2 The reason you divide by 2 is because you really care about pole pairs since you need a north and south pole to align with.

I’d like to point out that increasing your capacity will also increase the power your battery is able to put out as long as the C rating is the same. For example a 5Ah 20C can output 100A, while a 10Ah 20C can output 200A.

8S and 10S both work well with a 245kv motor. Your battery is never going to be at 4.2V realistically while under load so I usually go by 4.0V to get my max eRPM. An 8s setup gives you around 55k erpm while a 10S setup gives you 68k eRPM. Going with the 8S is safer on your ESC so that’s what I recommend but I think some people do have their ESCs up to 70k eRPM without issues. The advantage of the 10S would be a higher top speed and if you’re using the same capacity battery then more power and range.

3 Likes