Best 3d printer for ~400$

Has anyone used the Markforged 3d printers? These are capable of printing in carbon fiber and metals!

Yeh but you know that it’s not 100% carbon fiber or metal. Those are small particles that are fused inside PLA usually or ABS to give additional strength. To me it’s more for advertisement. If you want strengh than either PETG, ABS or Nylon is the way to go.

They claim it is as strong as aircraft grade aluminium and 40% lighter. If that’s true then you can even print mounts, pulleys and other motor accessory parts. The downside might be cost per part which could be more expensive vs CNC’ed aluminum. From the website it looks like their target market is Aerospace and Biomedical, so the cost for filaments might be prohibitive for esk8 applications.

27 hours into this print… Should be done in 3 more hours. Going flawless. And can print the entire booster board battery case on the plate in one piece…

4 Likes

Then my bad. Never looked inside such high tech filaments. I though it was part of the common ones

A friend of mine has one. 800gr black onyx filament for ~290€ so about 35ct per gramm. So use your slicer and think about if it is worth. I think they even have a printing service where you can get your parts made. At least my friend had some parts tested before actually buying it. It is really nice for small parts. Seen some jet impellers and bearing mounts. Things you usually mill from aluminium. So far they hold up nice.

But this is a little bit of topic since the printer it self is about 16000€, 800gr filament is within the price range of the topic :joy: