Best ESC on the market for July 2019

Hello to all DIY builders,

Let´s make this clear, the BEST ESC overall on the market to build a e-board 2019 for dual drive set-up.

Please consider:

1. Reliability
  2. Quality of ESC
  3. Customisability
  4. Possibility to replace if broken
  5. Waterproof
  6. Resistance for rough rides

Who is the winner ?

2 Likes

vesc 6 from trampa

5 Likes

vesc 6 plus from Trampa, with the silicone cover, no doubt

5 Likes

Why specifically the silicon cover

And only the 6 plus or also the 6

6 and 6 plus are both just as reliable, also please fully read the post.

^^^^^^^^^^ (helps a bit with water resistance)

Like I am saying I can’t see it helping that much and most the waterproofing is done by the enclosure

you didnt say that :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Ok in my head I said that

1 Like

:laughing::rofl:

What about that one @mmaner tested… arch or somthing?

Freefly Arc200… Bulletproof

2 Likes

Freefly Arc200

Per your criteria…

1. It’s more reliable than any other ESC on the market because the limits are so high and the construction is so elegant, I’ve yet to hear iof anyone killing the retail version in an esk8. A couple of the betas had issues, but that was in 2018 before the retail release.
  2. The aluminum precision milled and powder coated housing is top quality, it’s also a heatt sink.
  3. It’s more configurable than any VESC or R/C ESC. That’s also it’s one major flaw, configuration is in depth.
  4. They are available for shipping on checkout.
  5. The body is water resistant and splash proof, the connectors are water proof.
  6. It’s an enclosed system. As long as you have it secured I doubt vibrations could harm it.

Specs

• Input Voltage: 4S (13.6v) - 12S (50.4v)*

• Max peak phase current: 200A

• Continuous current with little to no heatsinking (hot-side facing upwards and unobstructed): 60A
    • Continuous current when bolted to a typical EV aluminum chassis: 100-150A
    • Continuous current with infinite aluminum heatsink or water cooling, and forced air cooling on phase wires: 200A
  • Control Inputs: PWM, Analog (1x combined throttle/brake or independent throttle and brake), UART/CAN (for advanced users to interface through the Freefly API’s QX protocol)

• DC-Input: XT90

• Phase-Output: 8mm Female Bullet

• High flex, high strand count wiring

• Capable of 50v input voltage and 200A

• Enclosed in a machined aluminum case with excellent thermal transfer

• Supports a variety of inputs including CAN, Analog, PWM, UART

• Multiple mounting points for easy installation

• Weighs just 265 grams

• Sensor support: Fully sensorless, digital hall sensors, PWM

• Operating modes: Torque mode (EV), speed mode (Multirotor, requires advanced user tuning), angle/servo mode (experimental, requires advanced user tuning and high-resolution motor encoder)

• 23.4kHz switching frequency for zero audible PWM noise

• Integrated 5A 5V BEC (Recommended continuous-current draw to be kept less than 3A)

• Water resistant and splash proof - integrate into your application to avoid continuous water exposure

4 Likes

30-18049836

2 Likes

I’m really glad you brought this up. These need to be talked about. I’ve started a discussion over at news if your interested.

https://forum./t/freefly-arc200/2994?u=mmaner

5 Likes

Thank you @mmaner, but the Freefly is not an open source Firmware/hardware. Therefore not really interesting for me.

If we would stay with open source Firmware/hardware, would the first answers be correct with the Trampa VESC 6.0?

So the winnder for a dual motor set-up would be 2 Trampa VESC 6.0 ?

2 Likes

That wasn’t in your criteria. I don’t think OS is as open as you think anymore, but whatever, it’s all good.

I can’t really say which would be the best as performance wise they are all pretty similar until you break out of the base hardware. As of today, probably x2 Cheap FOCer’s would the best performance, reliability and still remain Open Source…its pushing the voltage limits which gives you a lot more speed and gains torque across the voltage spectrum.

1 Like

Water resistance is done by the enclosure. Waterproofing happens on the circuit board.

2 Likes

We have a winner guys. Benjamin Vedder! Who else makes the best ESC…

VESC 6+ the way to go :wink:

If I’m going to build a dual motor board I would need 2 vesc 6’s, right?
$500 just on esc is too much for this guy’s first build