Best vesc for my build

hey, I have a DIY board that I made last year and I want a new vesc. here are the parts I am currently running. Dual 190 KV flypsky motors,

M-boards 12s lithium ion battery,

I have a flypsky remote

Thanks for you recommendations!

I’d stay away from the Flipsky vescs if I were you, they have some shaky reputation. MakerX has some great value options that have been proven to be good so far.

Spintend has a still new kind of untested one right now. The StormCore series from LaCroix is still very untested and expensive.

Basically I’d pick one of the MakerX ones, probably the DV6. If you want single ESC’s get the Torqueboards Vesc6’s

1 Like

If you need a dual motor esc and don’t want to blow your budget you need to consider the focbox unity.

It’s the same motor controller used in brands such as enertion, lacroix, kaly, bioboards and flux. And many others too.

1000’s of these things in boards alll over the world.

1 Like

Yeah, I have heard of them before but I thought they were out of business. Is this a reputable website to buy one? Also with these work well with a 12s battery? THANKS

1 Like

thanks for your recommendations ill check them out

1 Like

They do work sometimes, some people have received them from that website, others have not.

I’d still recommend the DV6 though because it’s based on Vesc6 whereas the Unity is only Vesc4 hardware

What a load of nonsense! Stop spreading fake news…

1 Like

Enertion, my former company closed down! - making electric skateboards is extremely difficult & not profitable.

the product we developed for enertion, the Focbox Unity, still exists & is sold by my new company Massive Stator Pty Ltd. It’s in stock.

We are selling & delivering hundreds each week.

Last ten days

1 Like

yeah, this site is owned run and regulated by the guy who’s runs massivestator.com. you can think of them as the same company. Several of the accounts on this site are him. Enertion went out of business deafulting on it’s debts. but because china can still make a unity, massive stator and the original enertion owner stills sells them.

It’s not fake news, there have been several sites that don’t deliver good unities and we have had people that received faulty ones. You can’t ignore the facts, plenty of other escs (see flipsky) break too.

I personally have not ordered from the massivestator source, but I know for a fact of a certain other one that did not provide well quality controlled products.

Maybe if it was based on V6 hardware I’d be more likely to recommend it but it’s getting old now

2 Likes

When recommending/comparing products for folks you should ask more questions about their requirements, and then you should also tell the entire story about what is involved, otherwise, you might become known for giving out misinformation. You don’t want people coming back to you asking you why you didn’t tell the entire story…

For example,

You should mention these other facts which might inadvertently cost the end-users a substantial amount of money over & above their budget and ultimately put their project on the shelf indefinitely!

1. The Maker X product Doesn’t have an on/off switch, so you CAN’T turn the board on or off.
  2. The Maker X product doesn’t have an Automatic Shut Down feature, a parasitic drain can cause your battery to be depleted down to zero, permanently damaging your expensive battery beyond repair.
  3. The Maker X product Doesn’t have a Bluetooth module built-in, so you CAN’T connect to this device and conveniently program the settings from your phone.
  4. The Maker X doesn’t include any anti-spark protection. So you can easily damage the sensitive on boards components every time to power up.
  5. The Maker X product has an 8% higher price tag compared with the Focbox Unity. The missing parts, such has on/off antispark switch & Bluetooth module adds another $100 more to the price. Which is about 58% higher altogether not including the shipping costs of the accessories.

What he is talking about is 3shunts vs 2shunts for measuring current.

If possible, I recommend you try both products side-by-side, if YOU can notice any difference whatsoever in performance between the different PCB design architecture, you should then consider spending more. Otherwise, probably not worthwhile. Most people cannot tell the difference!

There are some folks who believe they can feel a difference, they talk about “it” in terms of the acceleration/throttle curves logarithmic vs linear after you have reached high speeds with certain motors, However, There is currently no video evidence to support this.

Note, the Focbox Unity has a phone app that allows you to customize the throttle curves whilst you’re in the field, thanks to the Bluetooth module & phone app.

Here is what the original VESC developer, Ben Vedder, says about shunts:

It is not easy to explain though, as you have to understand how modulation works under all conditions. It depends on many things and behaves differently on different motors and voltages. The current simply becomes noisy and gets AlayZing at certain motor phase angles at high speed when using two shunts. With three shunts you can always find two phases that are far away from a switching edge when taking a sample if the sampling point is fixed, but with two shunts that cannot be done regardless of which sample time you pick.

Here is what the engineer behind the FOCBOX UNITY, says about shunts:

A three shunt design will see some advantages in robotics/automation applications where precise and fine control over fractions of an amp can yield real-world benefits. Not really the case for eskate, no one will be the wiser if there motor is getting 30 amps or 30.1 amps. That is the reason why for the eskate application a well designed two shunt design can do everything a three shunt design can. Once a larger current is flowing through the motor the system becomes extremely observable and more measurement inputs won’t offer much extra information on system Dynamics.

2 Likes

“several”? now you change the topic?

I am not talking about any other website other than this one.

If other sites have done something wrong? I agree that’s not good, please provide the evidence to support your claims so it can be investigated.

Great, So you objectively compared the two side by side & have documented the difference? Please share the findings…

You can also buy the Focbox Unity from these reputable online stores. They have the stock and they support the products they sell.

Look I literally didn’t come here for an argument. I simply suggested several options for OP to look into. This is a skate forum, not a political court.

Since I have taken the trouble of being here I will let you have this and cordially respond as I am seriously not looking for a fight, just trying to help.

Yep this is true. I still believe that using an external anti-spark (flipsky 280A or Maytech 150a) is better because it splits up the electronics a bit more. Even better, on my boards, I use the standard XT-90S loop key, which is pretty much foolproof.

Yeah there is no bluetooth module, but nowadays, the HM-10 doesn’t work very well anymore, so you have to buy an NRF anyway. While it is nice to have an app built in like the Unity, I personally prefer to use the Metr pro for tracking. There are actually a few other apps out there now too that do a good job being developed by forum members. As for the antispark, see above.

Yeah the price difference is shown here, where the Vesc6 hardware is more expensive. Obviously it’s not even beginning to touch official Trampa Vesc Six numbers though.

Kind of hard to get, sure I don’t have personal experience but I do spend a lot of time on the forum and can attest to many people’s opinions on Vesc 6 versus Vesc 4

This is convenient, can can also be achieved in the Metr app - this is a fair point to make though.

The spintend ESC does have integrated bluetooth though and you could use the official Vesc app for configuration as well.

Fair. I don’t really have brand loyalty to any specific vesc manufacturer. The site I was talking about is no longer available but it was called Raptor Parts Store and they did not deliver product consistently.

In my own hands no but we’ve had discussions about it in the past and I’ve hard from community members.

2 Likes

I disagree…

It’s easy…

Just ride two boards side-by-side with a camera filming… a real-world difference should be detectable, no?

The problem is, the difference, if there is one, is SO TINY that it has proven difficult to document…

We have been doing this for years… we shelved the 3 shunt design because it cost more for consumers, was harder to manufacture and offered no real-world advantages.