BMS question! Noob alert

My next question is antispark. I like the LED push button switch that eskating.eu does but it’s an additional product to fit in. The BMS would need to be switched on all the time. Is this okay? Would leaving the BMS on cause issues?

If it were you, would you have an antispark switch inbetween the BMS and FOCBOX or would you just have the normal switch on the BMS as your on/off method?

The BMS should always be on, that is correct. It’s in charge of the battery… except of course the connection you make to the VESC around it (in a “bypassed” system, which I recommend)

What the BMS actually does is connect a dummy load (a resistor) to any cell (or P-group) that’s over 4.20V to bring it down to 4.20V

Thus if you charge a whole 10S pack to 42V and keep it there, it will bring all the cells up to 4.2V by bleeding the higher ones so the lower ones get more charge and eventually you have ten times 4.20 and not, say, nine at 4.21V and one at 4.11V for example

Okay perfect, thank you. I think I’ve got it all now. Thanks so much for the help!

1 Like