Hi esk8 builders!
I got a little Chinese penny board to mess around on* and it’s been a blast these past few weeks, but now it’s got this completely random issue that I’m wondering if anyone’s ever encountered before.
Here’s the issue: the board shuts off 3 minutes after I power it on, every time, regardless of what I’m doing with it for the duration of those 3 minutes.
I’ve noticed that the auto-shutoff for when the board is idle is also exactly 3 minutes, so something must be not communicating to the ESC that the board is actually being used.
Things I have tested:
- Thought it was something to do with the power button, so I unplugged it while the board was on and running. Still turned off.
- Unplugging the hall sensor while running just causes the motor to seize, so I left that plugged in.
- The board has two speed modes, and neither have an effect on the issue.
- Tried known-good batteries in the remote, still no effect on issue. The board beeps constantly when the remote connection is lost, anyway.
- The board’s battery charge level has no effect on the issue.
- Double-checked every connection to the ESC and made sure nothing conductive is shorting or touching the PCB.
It’s almost like the board thinks it’s idle the entire time and auto-shuts off, even if I’m riding it or not. The board is, from what I can tell, a “Haitral”-brand board. Pic of ESC attached to bottom of post.
Figured I’d throw this out there in the off-chance that someone has actually had this same issue and/or had a fix.
* = Yeah, I know, false economy, etc…I impulse-bought the thing for $65 on craigslist, so I’m not too beat up over the fact that it’s acting up now. After a bit of research, I was most likely going to end up picking up a Meepo Penny Dual soon anyway, or building my own small cruiser based off a Landyachtz Dinghy deck, but figured I’d see if any ESC gurus were lurking here and could troubleshoot this odd (and kinda funny) issue.