Boss level custom spot welder

did you manage to get the bottom standoffs out? The ones between the aluminum plate and the bottom PCB?

Just spin your stands so they donā€™t touch the pads, and paint a small layer of conformal coating or clear nail polish over the possible offending pad then retighten it all.

1 Like

Iā€™ve metered out the standoffs and offending pads to ensure no conductivity. Iā€™m thinking about fiber washers just to be on the safe side.

1 Like

Noā€¦ not the ones in the bottom

cool. Thanks man!

1 Like

So after disassembly, insulation and reassembly did my first welds. Success! Very happy so far. Now to calibrate.

1 Like

yeah just knocked out 2 builds with thisā€¦ quite happyā€¦ for the .15 strip and the battery i was using aboveā€¦the second build had better welds at 6ms 2x ā€¦ going to 3x at same or less power wasnt as necessaryā€¦ also as the welder got hotter i found quality of weld started to suffer a hairā€¦

also did any one else notice this? I was using autoā€¦ but at a real slow delay like 2.7 sec so i could get the probes laid out right across the splitā€¦ but if i made a touchā€¦and slippedā€¦ but pulled the probes back off before the weld happenedā€¦ then re-applied the probes to the nickel it was as iff my timer didnt reset the count at zeroā€¦ thus making a the spark with what ever time was remainingā€¦ and usually melting some shitā€¦

my main work around for thisā€¦was if i made a false startā€¦to pull backā€¦and turn the welder off and back onā€¦

other wiseā€¦very happy and it just paid for itself

3 Likes

Have you guys had issues where the spot welder just makes the beep but not weld at all? It start happening after a couple of sparks I got on a test welding procedure. BTW Iā€™m only using a 12v power supply instead of the 19v recommended by @rojitor

Btw these the copper teminals came kinda rounded at the tips, is this how you suppose to receive them from the factory? Or I need to sharp the points?

1 Like

Yes the points are round. Eentually they Will become Sharp. The solder iron works fine with 12v but heats faster above 19v i use 24v. So you hear the beep but no weld? What is your current setup? Is the lipo fully charged?

1 Like

If you pull the tips you better turn It off and start again. It Will weld as soon as the tips touch the metal otherwise. That weld would be out of control with a big spark or even a hole.

2 Likes

Iā€™m using auto mode now, much easier and better welds.

Thanks @rojitor Iā€™m really enjoying the welder :slight_smile:

1 Like

I recommend you to set waiting time above 1 second. Tips keep cooler.

1 Like

Thats what Iā€™m saying yo! We/you should put some tech tips in the top post about average settings and other known this-and-thats so everything goes smoothe as possible.

I got lucky the couple times it happened my welding time was low and didnt blow any holes in my cellā€¦ Just a lil soot and appearance of a hot weldā€¦ No damage tho!

2 Likes

The top post canā€™t be edited anymore. At least by me. I am thinking on a video of tips to help people with this kind of things. I Will make It when i have the chance.

4 Likes

Moderators might be able to open it for editing again

On a 12S4P Samsung 3Q how many 0.2x7mm strips does people use sandwiched?

Good idea. Your videos have been helpful so far.

1 Like

I have been working on the battery of my next build.

Sony konion vtc6 8s5p pure copper 0.1 I will bypass a very nice bms tomorrow.

2 Likes

Wow nice @rojitor what settings did you use for spot welding 0.1 copper directly to the li-ions ? And did you use 3 or 4s ?

Copper requires 4s. 3s has no effect at all. When the battery is full i use 8ms X2 and after a bunch of welds i rise to 9ms. If the job is Big i refuel the lipo once or twice. It is important to have it fully charged. I use 3 pens at a time. I swap pen every 20 welds Ā± and i place them close to the fans so while i cool the fets i cool also the tips. I can make the job quite fast (relatively)

4 Likes