Hello everyone. I’m Roman, 26 and I’m Russian. I have lived in Ukraine, Portugal, Brazil and currently UK. My skate experience is using a penny board for 1 year daily.
I was introduced to esk8 through a YouTube video and fell in love with it. But when I saw the price, I gave up. But then I discovered this forum and thought that it’s possible to build one cheaper. So I literally saw every diy video on YT to learn and get inspired. All started in April 2017. I gathered info until October and started buying the parts.
My initial option was to build the cheapest but reliable board available, around 300£. But I was buying parts separately so I spent a little more and got a little better quality parts.
First was the deck, Loaded Dervish. I bought it used on ebay, it came with Adam Colton Paris Trucks and Otang Durian wheels. But it was in bad shape so I sanded it, applied varnish and put a custom griptape. I put 3 coats of varnish and sanded between each cote. Had to wait 2h between each cote to dry. Then I sprayed a 4th cote just on the bottom. I took @lox897 idea and printed a Dervish deck template with hexagons that I made in Photoshop. It took me 6h to cut and apply the tape.
Then I bought the trucks, Caliber II 50º. Got them cheaper because of a fellow forum member tip @shawnyp
But when I saw that @Brakeboard was selling longboard kit again, I immediately bought them. And why you might ask? Because I don’t trust electronic brakes. I prefer having a manual option. But why don’t I learn to slide? Because there is no one to teach me. I know how to foot brake but I don’t think it’s enough.
Before Brakeboard, I bought 1 caliber mount from taobao but it doesn’t work. Then I bought a HobbyKing mount but wasn’t happy with it. So I decided to ask @marcmt88 if he could make a custom mount for me and he delivered. I still had to file the clamp a little but it was easy.
After that, I bought a @dickyho ESC and a little heatsink as another member recommended. It works ok. But suddenly @Yecrtz was selling a TB VESC and it was cheap, so I got it. He was patient and answered all my questions.
The 2x 5s 3Ah batteries that I bought for ESC, worked with VESC, obviously. I had some issues with the vesc but after using “search button” on the forum, somethings were fixed. I still need someone to approve my configurations.
Anti-spark XT90 loop key. Even though ebay esc doesn’t need a antispark loop, when connecting the lipos, there is a spark.
After buying everything, I realized that what takes a big chunk of money, is little things like bolts, bearings, wires, connectors, solder, sandpaper, etc.
The motor is KEDA 6364. It came with stiff wires so I made a silicone wire mod and added 5.5mm bullet connectors. I also grinded two flat spots for pulley grub screws. Tip: before soldering and after striping the wires, heat them so that the coating melts. After that, use flux, tin them and solder.
Wheel pulley is cheap from ebay but it doesn’t fit caliber hanger by 2mm in diameter. But my brakeboard truck fits ok. It’s sturdy but ugly. Motor pulley is useless. So I bought another cheap pulley but this one is great.
Wheels are ABEC11 clones and they are not 78A like advertized. Probably they are harder than 86A. But the pulley and bolts work fine with them.
Enclosure is just cheap plastic box. I fixed it with gopro adhesive pads like @lowGuido did. If they brake, I’ll drill the deck.
Paraffin inside pivot cups and between bushings
I also had to buy Antex 100W soldering iron, forum member tip @mrjonnyjones, and it works very good.
I still have to tweak minor adjustments and loctite everything. So for now i don’t have ride stats. In total i spent around 750£ but if i hadn’t bought double parts and brakeboard brakes, it would be around 450£.
I’ll try and list all the links with what I bought. All prices include shipping and tax.
- CNC mount - 52£ - https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/custom-made-cnc-motor-mounts-available-for-sale/32342/196
- Bolts M4x12mm allen 5pcs - 1£ - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M4-M5-M6-M8-12-9-GRADE-ZINC-SOCKET-CAP-SCREWS-ALLEN-KEY-BOLTS-HEX-HEAD-DIN-912/111925190247?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=410877326304&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
- ANTI-VIBRATION WASHER NORD-LOCK M4x5 - 3,3£ - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nord-Lock-Washers-Genuine-Wedge-lock-Washers-Sizes-M3-to-M20-Steel-Delta-Protekt/282279866237?_trkparms=aid%3D555019%26algo%3DPL.BANDIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20151005190540%26meid%3Db98684073a3240b485ab5ed56e99d5e2%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226
- Belt 350mm htd5m, 15wide - 5,25£ - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Challenge-HTD-Curved-Tooth-Timing-Belts-5mm-Pitch-5M-Series-15mm-Width/371751860383?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=640729412147&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
- Brakeboard 190mm V3.1 – 220£+50£ - https://www.brakeboard.com/collections/all
- Pulleys 36T&11T 8mm + HTD5M 265&255mm, 15W - 12,3£ - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15mm-Wide-Belts-DIY-Electric-Skateboard-ABEC-Flywheel-Pulley-Kit-265-mm-255-mm/132340524149?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
- Pulley HTD 5M 20T 16mm - 4£ - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HTD-5M-20T-20-Teeth-5mm-Pitch-16mm-Width-Timing-Belt-Drive-Pulley-Choose-Bore/262632208084?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=561532099883&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
- Grub screws M5x5mm 10pcs knurled tip - 1,52£ - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/METRIC-GRUB-KNURLED-CUP-POINT-S-C-SOCKET-SET-SCREWS-Packs-of-10/400585573359?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=670147936631&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
- Wheels 90*52MM >86A -20£ - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Big-80mm-87mm-83mm-90mm-97mm-Longboard-wheel-SHR78A-Red-color-PU-wheels-High-level-soft/32829853751.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.RlqrDN
- Abec9 bearings + T tool + oil + washers + spacers - 10,36£ - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FULL-SKATEBOARD-KIT-8-ABEC-9-BEARINGS-HARDWARE-MULTI-TOOL-SPACERS-LUBE-STICKER/381526475065?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=650632947811&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
- KEDA 63-64 190KV 10S 2000W - 38£ - https://hobbyking.com/en_us/kd-53-30-high-voltage-brushless-outrunner-190kv.html
- 3m GoPro adhesive - 3,23£ - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12pcs-Flat-Curved-Mounts-3M-Adhesive-Sticky-Pads-Set-for-Gopro-Hero-4-3-2-OS85/131781409594?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
- 3m dual lock fastener - 6,59£ - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1M-x-25-4mm-3M-Dual-Lock-Fastener-SJ3551-With-Self-Adhesive-stick-tape/201473714896?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
- 10pc 10cm F to F servo lead - 2,24£ - https://hobbyking.com/en_us/10cm-female-to-female-servo-lead-jr-26awg-10pcs-set.html
- 2.4Ghz mini remote + receiver - 12,69£ - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Skateboard-2-4GHz-Remote-Controller-Transmitter-Receiver-Binding-Plug/272733085845?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
- 2x ZIPPY Flightmax 3000mAh 5S1P 20C - 34,30£ - https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-flightmax-3000mah-5s1p-20c.html
- Heat shrink - 2,88£ - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOLOOP-127Pcs-Car-Electrical-Cable-Heat-Shrink-Tube-Tubing-Wrap-Sleeve-7-Sizes/152238839138?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
- Cable sleeve - 1,72£ - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5M-10M-Braided-Cable-Sleeving-Sheathing-Auto-Wire-Harnessing-Marine-Electrics/282289887365?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=581358254367&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
- Grip tape 11x44’ - 5,95£ - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jessup-Longboard-Griptape-11-x-44-Free-Sticker/282704972512?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
- Parallel charging board - 5,66£ - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-HotRc-High-Quality-2S-6S-XT60-Plug-Parallel-Charging-Board-Para-Board-XT60-Plug-4/32817342241.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.RlqrDN
- iMAX B6AC V2 6A - 33£ - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-SKYRC-iMAX-B6AC-V2-6A-Lipo-Battery-Balance-Charger-LCD-Display-Discharger-For-RC-Model/32762090342.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.RlqrDN
- Antex soldering iron 100w - 16£ - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antex-SR8W270-HP100-100W-Mains-Soldering-Iron/131219265053?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
- XT-60 series harness - 2,06£ - https://hobbyking.com/en_us/xt60-harness-for-2-packs-in-series-1pc.html
- XT-90 anti-spark - 4,57£ - https://hobbyking.com/en_us/xt90-s-anti-spark-connector-2pairs-bag.html
- 5,5mm bullet - 5,51£ - https://hobbyking.com/en_us/polymax-5-5mm-gold-connectors-10-pairs-20pc.html
- 12AWG wires 1m - 3,28£ - https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-high-quality-12awg-silicone-wire-1m-red.html
- Loctite 243 3ml - 2,6£ - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Loctite-Lock-Acting-Thread-Sealant/dp/B003ZUXQIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513873544&sr=8-1&keywords=loctite+243
Sorry for long post, here is a potato
Edit: i don’t know why but the pics don’t show in correct order.