Can I buy mountain board without electronics, then add them later?

Hi, I want to start mountain boarding and have a few questions. I want to buy a mountain board, not an electric one just a normal one, and then after learning to ride it for a while add my own electric components to suit my needs. Can I do that and if so what is a relatively easy board to do it to? I was also wondering if having suspension trucks make it harder to add motor mounts or to ride in general. I read the guide on esk8 that’s pinned on the front page of this site, it was very helpful but I was wondering if there was one more specific to mtb. I would also like to see a tutorial on building a mountain board if there are any. I know that this is a lot to ask but if anyone could answer any of the above questions it would be very much appreciated. I look forward to spending more time on this forum.

1 Like

Totally you can!

Tune the trucks right and you won’t have problems with turning radius and stability at speed, it depends on the rider though. Mountainboard parts can be a little pricey.

@BigBrit is making a series detailing his process with building a MTB, 1st episode is out. Check out some of the MTB builds here on the forum too for inspiration and guidance.

3 Likes

thank you so much for the quick response man, appreciate the recommendation

1 Like

Yep this is exactly what I did!

2 Likes

Don’t lie…you still can’t drive @venom121212 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

3 Likes

Absolutely. Clearly. But! Make sure you get trucks that are amenable (arzamenable ftw!) to attaching motor mounts. Boards don’t matter much.

Im a big fan of MBS trucks.

2 Likes

I have seen some MBS trucks and they seem very high quality

Hey @cooc1501 ! Appreciate your thoughts on getting first used to the mtb before adding some external power on it! Definitely not the wrong way to start. You can find a lot of inspiration about mtb builds in here.

One of the most informative threads about mtbs is probably the one from @rich

You can find a lot of useful information and comparisons on that thread, as well as mistakes which happened or parts that failed and how to avoid that.

Either MBS as well as Trampa boards are a good base to build up on.

3 Likes

Guys like Andy87 and many more in here have a wealth of knowledge and experience from trail and error .as we all find out sometimes the hard way…lol Bouncing off ideas,group buys and many more things etc. Research on here will save you alot of time and money…and great ppl here with lots of passion for the mtb/ skateboard world we live in…

Thankz dude

@cooc1501 have a look at this series, whilst I dont have as much experiance as some of the chaps on here I can at least say that I have built one and it works!

You can follow along if you like

2 Likes

Slut

2 Likes

Love you @dareno. #JB

2 Likes

Love you lee #AP

2 Likes