Carvon V3 plans, and also what do you think about hub motor reliability in general?

V3, yet another way you’ve found to take my money!

they are similar not because they have the same drive trains, but because they are both very stiff boards with a kicktail, with a similar wheelbase and identical trucks (pretty much).

If i were you, I wouldnt try to change the drive train, but something that actually makes a difference: the board, maybe the trucks, possibly the wheels, eventually the battery.

could have a comfortable long distance tourer with focus on comfort and endurance, a small wheelbase shortrange trick board with focus on lightweight and agility, a stiff highspeed high current downhill board with focus on speed and power and finally a mountainboard for urban and offroad binding fun.

these would actually complement each other - but changing the drive train doesnt change anything imo. it will still be pretty much the same boards from a riding perspective!

no, I havent - Ill try one day and if I do, then most likely with your 90mm flywheel sets! :relaxed:

I just cant see how it will make a substantial difference (at least for me and compared to the difference a board, trucks and wheels make) - my preferred style of riding is: something brings me up to my preferred carving speed in a way I nearly dont care about and then I just want to stay there for as long as possible. the only difference I would expect is: hubs are probably more silent and the comfort & grip of the wheels would probably feel a little worse - hardly noticeable with your sets, a lot more with hummies/jacobs.

in the case of @Photorph with more or less identical boards, I dont really see the point of switching one to hubs and expect them to complement each other in some way. so the hub version would coast better and might be faster … what will happen then is: the hub board will probably become his favourite and the other one will never be ridden anymore, because these 2 boards will simply never complement each other. one or the other will simply be better at everything a stiff kicktailboard can offer. :wink:

1 Like

I’ll do the 116 kV V3s. Need them for a build asap. I’ll have @longhairedboy get started on the deck/enclosure once I know when these are available. Any update on availability?

Also undecided on 90mm vs 97 mm. Wonder if hills will be an issue with 97 mm running dual 116 kV v3s. But anyway from what I am seeing it will be easy to swap out flywheels.

After riding hubs, I don’t think I can go back to a belt drive. The drivetrain just feels much more responsive. I don’t really care much about a high top speed, but they are very quiet and coast better. Like LEVer said, belt’s have drag. I never really noticed it much before, but after riding a hub, I felt the difference.

While I’m waiting for Carvon to get these V3s developed, does anyone know where to find 97mm Abec 11 fly wheels in 75a durometer? I’m planning on using those with the V3, unless @LEVer feels strongly about the 90mm wheels.

also, based on this calculator @makevoid made… Using 12s and the 97mm wheels, this build will have a top speed of 56 mph and ~50 mph weighted. Is this correct??

50mph sounds about right.

Welcome to the ultra speed club when you get your board :slight_smile: Im going to do 2RWD vs. 2FWD comparison when I get my stiffer deck. The flexy bouncer gets too wobbly at 35mph

@LEVer Pedi, I have 1 curious question, since the Carvon are CNC machined by you, how do you get it to be like “fully balanced” or “balanced”? All brushless motors and hub motors needs balancing right? So the motors would not vibrate or ran out of alignment or something Balancing as in like car tires needs alignment and balancing, those kind of balancing. I’m just curious, coz i’m getting myself a homemade hub motor (hobby/interest, not for commercial purposes).

Alright thanks

@LEVer any updates or more info? Patiently waiting for these 116 kV v3s! Also which abec 11 flywheels will you be selling?

Ok thanks for the update. Looks like it isn’t ready yet.

This is so true and a bit counter intuitive. When I was looking at my first board speed and torque on the DIYs scared me because I thought the faster a board goes the more dangerous it is. After riding for several months in an urban environment having extra speed in most situations is a lot safer than not having it.

1 Like

Can you provide some examples?

outrunning dogs that find your motor noise especially irritating or threatening and not being run over by cyclists or cars trying to pass you because no one is going to pass you are two good examples i have experienced.

2 Likes

We’re never going to be as fast as cars, but cyclists are sometimes going 20+mph. It sometimes helps to be able to put a little space between you and others when needed. Convenient if you are going to make a turn and need some space. I generally keep it around 20mph for most of my ride, but I do momentarily push for a little more speed when I need it.