Cheapo Evo | Landyachtz Evo 41" | SK3 5055 280kV | MasterCho GT2B Mod

Yet another Evo build for the forum! I gave the deck some loving since the paint was worn and I wanted to show off the wood underneath.

Snapchat-1658223302

Stripping the original paint, I started with a heat gun and scraper but switched to a palm sander. The trucks were also black, but i painted them white.

Snapchat-906266474

I stained the deck and coated with urethane, then masked the top and bottom and painted the sides white

Snapchat-1987073752

Finished deck, really happy with how it came out. I replaced the original black hardware with stainless both for New England reasons and for aesthetic reasons.

Now for the real fun part: electrification!

First, a little exposition: I go to a vo-tech high school and we need to choose a senior project relating to our shops. Being in mechanical design, one of my main goals was to design and 3d print as many parts as I could so I could modify them if needed. I also wanted it to be cheeeaaaaaap because I’m a broke-ass teenager. (That’s why I went with an airplane ESC instead of a VESC like I should have.)

So, the BOM:

• 41" Landyachtz Evo, I think it’s from the 2009 run based on the original paint.
  • Bear 852(?) trucks, they’re whatever came with the board
  • Monster Hawgs 76mm 80a wheels with Reds
  • Turnigy SK3 5055-280kV motor
  • YEP 60A ESC
  • 2 Zippy 5000mah 20c 3s batteries wired in series
  • HK-GT2B which I promptly transplanted into @MasterCho’s lovely case
  • 12mm HTD5 belt, 255mm
  • Misc. hardware and connectors
  • Everything else was 3d printed and at least partly designed by yours truly.

The Build

I printed my enclosure on my school’s Stratasys 1200 printer, since it wouldn’t fit on my Select Mini and the Stratasys ABS is hella strong, perfect for an enclosure.

Capture

20190327_175630

It was really really cramped in there, but I got all my components in. The batteries are velcro’d to the bottom of the enclosure and the rest just kind of sits in place. I printed a case for my loopkey based on @mmaner’s design.

20190326_170107

This thing is gorgeous, and it’s one hell of a lot better than the regular GT2B to boot. I had to split it to fit on my printbed but it was well worth it compared to the surface finish on the Stratasys machine. Side note, don’t be stupid like me and put some hot glue on the connection between the antenna and the board because soldering those back with a soldering gun (all I have atm) is miserable.

20190326_154912

fuck that.

Anyways, I designed my motor mount for the Bear trucks specifically, and had 2 break on me before I got a design that seems to work. It’s thick as hell because I decided to use the collet mount that comes with the SK3, but it’s strong and does its job. There’s also 3d printed pulleys, both motor (16t) and wheel (36t), and a motor shield/fan thing that still needs to be tested. Yes those screws thread directly into the truck.

20190421_150157

It gets to around 24mph max, 20 usually, and has about a 5-6 mile range, more than enough for me to go short ranges without wasting gas in my car (Honda Pilots are surprisingly bad on gas!)

Big thanks to everyone in the esk8 community (I’ve read too many posts from too many people to be able to name them all) for info and inspiration on how to make an esk8. If anyone is interested in potentially dangerous and questionably modelled 3d printed parts, I’d be happy to share my Solidworks files.

20190412_190320

20190412_190346

9 Likes

its a good looking build, but if i were you i would be worried about the 3d printed enclosure.

if you have any sort of layer bonding issues your enclosure will just fall off some day. i would put several bolts through the bottom of the enclosure and into the deck and dodge the components inside. no need to reprint the part. just add 2 or more bolts all the way through.

1 Like

That is a good looking bild. I love it when people boy scout a build, being prepared and making it work and all that, shows ingenuity and and real sense of “engineer’s prowess”.

2 Likes

This is glorious.

your little enclosure is great. It would be cool fully enclosed with a way to clamp it to a base on the deck. It could be fully removable and self contained that way and you could have a spare in your backpack.

3 Likes

What a great simple build. Love it to bits. One thing as a rider of the evo you might want to grip the drops. Especially the back. My rear foot is all over that when at speed. It locks you in. Anyway great take on the evo platform and well done.

1 Like

I’ll definitely look into that, I could even possibly make parts that fit over the original mounting holes and clamp down on the bottom of the enclosure to hold the entire thing from the bottom instead of halfway up.

fully enclosed with a way to clamp it to a base on the deck

Hell, I can even do that with my current configuration, but mine is just a bit less practical. Just take out the 4 mounting screws and replace. I was actually looking into buying another 2 lipos and making a hotswap enclosure for them similar to your idea, but as a range extender.