Compact Orange | Penny Board | 3" Penny Trucks | Motor TBD | Custom 3d Printed CF reinforced motor mount | Battery TBD | FSESC 4.12?

image image image image

Here is the update on the motor mount with my 5055 sk3 motor. I’ve added coverings around the motor to stiffen the print, for the final design I will also be epoxying carbon fibre sheet over the motor as a skid plate just in case. I have some 14 layer 0.155” thick carbon fibre.

I also got the 2 batteries, which looks like there’ll plenty of room for the FSESC and to be able to keep some flexibility.

3 Likes

20170708_173927

3 Likes

What width belts are you going to use? There does not seem to be an awful lot of space for it.

Also this part of the mount seems way too thin, even if you’ll add carbon fiber sheet to it it might bend: image

Have you considered making it a bit thicker, as there is nothing on the other side of the motor that restricts moving it to the left.

2 Likes

haha didnt think anyone would notice, theres .450" so barely enough room for a 12 mm belt but its really tight. i will probably thin down the carbon fibre to for more clearance

Also that thin part is 0.100", but in the other picture you can see i reinforced by the cover for the motor and the thin part will be replaced with 155 thou carbon fiber sheet. both sides will be carbon fiber to sandwich the printed mount with an epoxied skid plate for the motor.

I cant just move the mount over as its actually clamping the penny truck to stay together.

i may 3d print or buy some spacers for a tiny bit of extra room for the belt.

Going with a 9mm belt might help save so room also.

1 Like

Any update?

1 Like

hey, ill probably switching to a 9mm belt like you said. ill definitely need the extra room to fit some flanges on the pulleys.

Ive been working on the remote and waiting for all the parts from china. Once im done the remote i will finish designing the motor mount and make a carbon fibre mount and i have to design the enclosure which will be 3D printed with a carbon fibre skidplate for now.

I did get to test out the motor, ill add pictures soon.

1 Like

Hey! Did you ever complete this project? I’m thinking about building something similar for my penny board. I like your matching orange print!

2 Likes

I am looking at building one similar for getting around campus. I am assuming that you are still running 6s with the 5055 motor? What is the top speed with that motor/voltage? Also, do you mind sharing the 3d file for the motor mount? Looks great!

Two years late, but just be aware that the motor will easily get hot enough to soften and deform PLA, so you’d have to print it in ABS or another heat-resistant plastic.

1 Like

I’m trying to do the same as you with my penny board and a 6354 motor. It is amazing how you were to fit that motor on there. The space is tight due to the trucks being so small. How is the mount working out for you?

Hey, I honestly haven’t worked on this in quite a while and I lost some files. However the mount did work fine other than how weak it was and I never loctited the bolts and it shook itself apart. I also never finished a battery and esc box under the board. I may return to the project now that I can attempt to 3D scan the Trucks for more accurate model and clamp.

1 Like

I’ll try and find what files I have left. I lost some of them on my old computer. :frowning:

Penny was a good choice for me when I first decided to start learning to skate. Suitable for walking on the street or walking in the schoolyard. And when you are fluent, you can switch to skateboards. But do you craft an electric penny board to improve its speed or just your favorite fun? I just feel you are really good, I like the paint color of it.