Constructive Criticism and Intellectual Property Ethics

@onloop we really need an option to like our own post… I will keep hitting the heart in hopes for One Day :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

It’s also been a way for you to keep a close eye on the market, your competitors, and the community. I’m sure you have all amounts of data you use to help buisness. Not to mention the ad space is invaluable.

I see your point though about this thread and in general. Though I don’t think board is really that big of a deal. Just another weird design with probably eh quality parts. Nothing more nothing less.

4 Likes

I agree 100% - I learned so much from feedback.

The problem is some people like to offer “destructive” criticism, often this snowballs with others jumping on the bandwagon. It can get really nasty and often has no benefit to anyone.

I saw this happen at the electric skateboard sub-Reddit, now that place is a joke and people won’t go there to Converse. If it continues to happen here it will be a a disappointment.

Like most Open forums this will continue and will need correction from time to time. It’s just as necessary in the growth of anything and brings the need to shut that shit down. We all walk a thin line and try to stay on the Path, but have some fun doing it… The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Bless it is he who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness for he is truly his brother’s keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the lord when I lay my vengeance upon you!

3 Likes

You have a habit of bringing this up lately. Isn’t this so called “advantage” available to everyone? Some folks “can’t see forest for the trees”

1 Like

It is for any vendor on the forum who looks for it. I do

Exactly, anyone can sit and read the forum all day to see what their competitors are doing, see what cool ideas people are exploring…

But that will get you only so far, eventually you do need to take risks, experiment, and have the ability to execute and deliver and that isn’t available from reading this forum.

3 Likes

Agreed, That is why I’m excited that the majority of VETS on the forum are innovators and risk takers. just in the past year I have learned so much and elevated the products we resale or make in house, diversification will drive the DIY industry. I promote Quality products, serious customer service and support only rivaled by a few. I love the ability to source products from the small guy ( I’m a small guy) and find ways to help those that help other with free test products and discounts you can’t get anywhere else. Everyone will criticize for whatever reason, it’s tolerable. We see who does what and why and try to aline or team up with those serious about the industry. We sell enertion products and are the Central Texas RA for Raptors seeing the same drive for quality and service. From a business standpoint, a forum is a tool that benefits all in the right scenario. From Us as vendors to the individual that gets guidance through a build thread or a discussion about a part he/she wants to use. Having both on a Forum has made the connection easier and help & support more available.

3 Likes

Is this construction criticism?

4 Likes

Don’t you have a recent hub motor thread and PM to attend to? Lol I’m still waiting for you to contact me :tumbler_glass:

Well what about getting flagged for one word like “nuts”. Isnt that rediculous? Not being critisized? It shouldnt matter the critisism we all give or get if people dont like it might as well stop posting? This is why i rather speak to people and not type at least in america we have the freedom to say whatever we like even if people r offended and get their panties in a bunch

I’m gonna stop you right there little guy.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

14 Likes

Okay @onloop , fair enough. We could all do with a bit more constructiveness in our conversations and debate. I can assure you that my intent was not to crawl entirely up inside your butthole on this topic, but your method of debate in this very thread involved passive aggressive wiki links and strawman style deflections.

You’ve chosen every word you’ve wrote on a public facing forum. You have often been hot-headed and overly aggressive at times to other vendors that you invited here. You can’t pull the victim card when people react to your words and actions.

So, constructive criticism:

I am impressed with what you, and Enertion (all the folks there that have put in many hard hours to bring us some awesome gear), have done in the short time that this industry has even existed. Namely, you managed to counter the entire VESC situation pretty gracefully and in turn landed a large chunk of the market with the FOCBOX- and it’s something you should absolutely be proud of as it’s a great piece of tech. Enertion’s efforts have made sure that that even more people out there get to have fun on their boards. That is really why we do this yeah?

The fact that you brought this forum up and helped build the foundation of this community is also to be commended. I have considerable amounts of respect for your contributions here, I don’t want that to be lost in the noise.

However, part of what you offered was an open forum for other vendors to advertise their own products & engage the community. All the name of nurturing innovation, right?

This is really where my criticism stems from. Your actions towards @torqueboards come across as petty and anti-innovation. I won’t comment on what I think about the investment of resources towards patents at this level, but the end result is that you have singled out a smaller company and placed conditions upon them that you are not enforcing on any other vendors, for reasons I’m sure only you truly know the extent of.

To me, it feels like you set the stage and then changed the rules the moment you felt threatened by legitimate competition. That doesn’t align with your own words as to your intentions on what this forum would be. We need good competition, it absolutely spurs innovation. At this stage of tech, everything is iterative in a generational as well as derivative sense. Encourage it.

You know what would’ve impressed me? Had you taken the high road and congratulated TB on their DirectDrive release announcements, and truly meant it. More high quality drive offerings is a good sign for the DIY ‘industry’ as a whole, why not just welcome it? In 3 years we’ll be 2-3 more iterations/generations beyond and none of these designs will matter anyway.

If you truly care about fostering a healthy DIY community, then support the industry as a whole. Genuine comradery will build good will for all. Torqueboards is here to help people have fun, just like you guys are.

I agree entirely, but sometimes there’s an easy path out of said forest.

Hope you have a good weekend man, thanks for reading this if you took the time to. Cheers.

24 Likes

Thats right i said that on a joke thread im not denying it trying to play around but what about when i do respond seriously and with a decent opinion it gets flaggged and removed. As now im being watched. What are my pm’s getting watched as well? Ive lately been dressing up my posts still just for posting the word “nuts” my entire post is deleted that’s bull

And @onloop im still waiting for u to respond to this

there are no good people, spend time with anyone and you’ll see there flaws.

1 Like

Not everyone can be as nice as I am. Or as good looking. Or as creative, or as smart. People complaining about godless unwashed heathens on this forum should remember that. I’m also very humble, so don’t try to compete with that either. I’m competitively humble.

35 Likes

That’s the worst Punk band name ever, pretty good good for an Amish Rap group though :slight_smile:.

15 Likes

humperdoo-gif-1

3 Likes

@onloop I propose a ban to anyone who posts the pop corn Michael-Jackson GIF I haven’t seen that be used in a nice way here, I had planned on adding lols and emojis here but to be honest in most cases that GIF is the most annoying and arrogant thing someone can post.

So I’ll leave this as an actual request.

1 Like