Constructive Criticism and Intellectual Property Ethics

Discourse is open-source, you can submit a code patch anytime and if you convince them it’s a good idea, they will probably merge it into the mainline.

1 Like

I’m completely lost about what’s going on here. I read through the original thread too.

Why is Jason so riled up over this and am I missing something? Where are all these supposed negative hurtful comments? I can’t tell if there was some kinda deletion because the first thread seemed REALLY tame in comparison to some others I’ve read

1 Like

Who likes popcorn as much as this guy when watching something exciting?

5 Likes

Call me Immature but this was my first thought after reading all this

2uc2nl

7 Likes

The reason it upset me is because I’m starting to notice a trend forming.

Have you read/watched Lord of the flies?

Maybe I can provide some more insight into my reaction; The main problem I see is that negativity is slowly becoming dominant in a growing number of people’s commentary, especially when it’s a topic about new or different ideas. This is not a beneficial immediate reaction in an environment that should be trying to nurture innovation.

I’ve seen communities turn toxic & get ruined by this, I don’t want it to happen here.

The reason I believe this negativity is spreading is due to the “Need to Belong” - if new users see it happening frequently, especially if senior members revert to being hostile and negative towards new ideas, these new “impressionable” users see this and adopt it as acceptable & normal behavior.

This need to belong to a group can lead to changes in behaviors, beliefs, and attitudes as people strive to conform to the standards and norms of the group. People often present themselves in a particular way in order to belong to a specific social group.

For example, a new member of the high school football team might adopt the dress and mannerisms of the other members of the team in order to fit in with the rest of the group. Just like junior members on an esk8 forum might think its cool to offer negative or destructive criticisms to other people who are simply trying to create something new or different.

Junior members might also compare themselves to other members of the group in order to determine how well they fit in. This social comparison might also lead an individual to adopt some of the same behaviors and attitudes of the most prominent members of the group in order to gain greater acceptance. “Popular Joe thinks XYZ is shit, Maybe I’ll take a strong stance on the topic so that I’ll be liked too”

This is why it’s so important that leaders in a rapidly growing industry have an ability to provide Constructive Criticism as they are the role models for the group. Anyone who sees themselves as a leader here should take the time to gently tap these people, who have immediate negative commentary, on the shoulder and ask them to be a tad more constructive.

5 Likes

1 Like

What happens if the manager of the football team switches it up – and just tries to use to football team to tackle people and steal their lunch money, instead of actually playing to win games?

Then would the players be at fault for that? Or the leader?

8 Likes

Depends if you are talking about the real football

2 Likes

Are you talking mutiny???

2 Likes

No, just observing that the atmosphere changed around the same time the leader started sending out fake legal documents and blackmailing vendors for participating in this innovation community. Pay, or else :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I don’t know if it’s coincidence or not, but it’s an observation nonetheless.

8 Likes
5 Likes

image https://esk8content.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com/uploads/db2454/original/3X/b/b/bba583c25a2884b5583bef8320c0b99bde8da2fc.gif His mouth is open and in 1985? I was disgusted.

3 Likes

Gently taps

I don’t think anyone needs to consider themselves a leader to speak up when they see wrong. Can’t help but notice you entirely avoided speaking towards my constructive criticism outlined in my last post to you, at your behest.

5 Likes

It’s because he will preach the bullshit without actually acting on it. He wants attention. It’s pretty clear considering his approach.

Example:

Me: Hey fuck you dude!

Jason: Please don’t use the word fuck. It offends me.

Me: Alright dude sorry.

Jason: Thanks. Fuck you!

2 Likes

I have noticed more negativity over the past months do feel we should reduce that when it comes to simple things. Not that it’s without reason every time but it happens.

6 Likes

this guy

6 Likes

Hey shit man thats me to a tee. Damn I just thought I was cool as fxxk

1 Like

There is a big difference between innovation, imitation and direct Infringement.

You are known to be a fierce supporter of “following the rules” and “compliance” & I do agree we shouldn’t tolerate direct Infringement of laws, such as copyright and patents, or general forum rules, etc & you are one of the biggest advocates of this! Society does need some guidelines to keep it on track.

For example, Without your ongoing attacks enertion wouldn’t have known about and been motivated to make changes. Without Frank trademarking VESC, Focbox wouldn’t have existed. Sometimes you need to bang people on the head repeatedly to get compliance, Ideally you do it in a constructive way.

But we do you need to be consistent, no?! It seems like you are now saying you don’t care about cases of Infringement related to design? Or any legal matters?

What if a new brand popped up in the forum and started using someone else’s brand names and logos? And selling the identical merchandise, Would that be acceptable? Would you actually Support that or speak out against it? - or do you just flip sides when it’s suitable?

Do you think that the businesses that operate inside this community should simply be quite and not try to defend themselves when a competitor initiaties an attack or agressive marketing or smear campaign? I would hope that they would defend themselves, especially if they feel they have a legal right to?

So here’s my personal opinion, if copy cats, like Dexter who don’t actually innovate or strive to bring new ideas into the industry, roll into this arena and then directly try to compete for sales directly against other business (carvon is probably on its last legs thanks to Dexters copy cap business model) , then that’s a totally different ball game with different rules and they certainly should expect some healthy competition and if they infringe or fail to comply they should also expect to be banged on the head about it.

… NOW Please just stop for one moment! Let’s get back on topic;

Constructive Criticism for new ideas.

I am talking purely about new ideas and innovation! Remember I started this forum and invited my competitors onto the platform and allowed them to freely grow their businesses from here in the hope that it would allow new ideas to flourish. Amazingly it worked! Plenty of awesome “first ever” stuff has come from creators and members who hand out here.

Why did I do this? I did this because i am pro innovation, when people tear down new ideas it’s bad for the community.

So stop being fuckwits about this, if you want to have an argument get your facts straight, leave the ego at the door, have a healthy debate with your peers, and be ready to deliver and take some constructive criticism.

4 Likes

Thanks for the constructive feedback, maybe your not a Total arse hat.

1 Like

If thats not a backhanded compliment lol…

Lets praise him but then knock him right back down…

3 Likes