Custom Ram Air for cooling

single drives? heavy rider? or both?

I ride 4wd, but hills, I weight around 205 these days + a 20 pound backpack (textbooks, laptop, ect.), I ride aggressively… Did I mention hills? lol. I also like to stay above 25 mph as much as possible, which with GG park, that could be a few miles at a time. And we saw recently how wind resistance really is a huge factor at high speeds.

It’s also cause these motors are just too damn small, as much as I like the fact that I have a motor fully enclosed in an 80mm wheel that to most people who ask, have no idea my board is electric. They mostly ask why my boards so thick, lol.

1 Like

what size are your motors? 50’s or 63’s? What voltage are you running?

Just curious because no matter how fast i go, i can still hold my hand on my motors, they’re never too hot to keep my hand on. Even in 101 degree weather. To be clear i do not try to hold them while travelling at 25+ mph. I usually wait until i stop to grab them.

7 Likes

50mm. They are hummies small motors. New one’s will have a stator twice as long, and heat shouldn’t be as much of an issue. But they won’t have as simple of a look IMO.

ahhhhhhh now it makes sense. I was wondering why your motors were working so hard.

hubs man. That mechanical disadvantage generates a fuckload of heat. But they do look clean on a board.

I think the 24 tooth stator might be the real solution. Need to do more testing, but it might be why enertions and jacobs hubs ran much cooler, at least at slower speeds.

I know your still on belt and pulleys, but I think one day soon, they’ll be real solutions to the problems hubs have today, some of which I’m sure the raptor 2 hubs have already fixed.

1 Like

true. But untill i can change ratios on a hub, i’m not doing it.

When i come up with my hubs, swapping KV will be a feature. Hopefully i can have modular hubs that let me swap stators. That’s the real dream right there.

I deal with people who write me and say “i’m 220 pounds and i want to climb hills in virginia.” that guy doesn’t need hubs unless i can drop them down to maybe 60kv and have a stator as long as my dick or steal somebody’s raptor two hubs. Belts? no problem. 14/36 or 15/37 will get him up a damn hill all day long on 6355s and all i have to do is swap a pulley.

Its hard sitting here waiting for what i need. Building customs is a challenge because of shit like this.

4 Likes

It’s true. Theres less convenience on hubs. I think 4wd with hubs is really a great option. Expensive, but VESC prices are dropping ,and will continue to drop. And considering I can get a motor little motor for less than $100, I could in theory build an a small 4wd hub board for around $1000 USD, without labor and the other BS involved like taxes.

With 80 kv and 4wd, I climb 20% grade hills at 20 mph. Tons of torque, and I can still get up to almost 30 mph.

listen to me talk smack about hubs when i just sent a home wrecking sized wire transfer to Slovenia for an NGV system for a customer’s build.

Unless you’re skidding, a front brake is not twice as effective as rear brakes. Under very hard braking you may skid though, making a front brake a tad more effective.

2 Likes

for a simple test you can try at home hope on a motorcycle or push bike and measure your stopping distance using either brake…

I see you quoted the first reference from google on the topic, funny how the second reference states that: " The front brake assumes around 75-90% of the braking power"

It is simple physics you just can not get your weight behind the rear wheel to optimize traction.

1 Like

I didn’t quote anything. This is based off real world experience

Front brakes on motorcycles are physically much larger…

1 Like

Yep, agree, I also read about this and it seems like even regular bicycles with disk brakes incorporate this feature - the front wheel brake disc is just physically larger too… I heard it somehow takes up more heat also = more braking force/power.

Yep. And you need more braking power up front on a motorcycle where you don’t have as much weight on the rear and the tire can lock easily. But I’ve never had the rear wheels on my longboard lock… Maybe if you had a single 6374 on a 15mm belt it could be an issue.

1 Like

This is so funny that this thread popped up just now. I actually accidently killed my vesc last week because of the heat. I live in Arizona and rn is like 115° F in the afternoon. Anyways I decided to ride to work (14 mile trip) and my board started to cut out on my about 6-8 miles in.

I have had to stop and let the esc cool off before on long trips. I assume that the esc gets so hot that it limits the current running through it.

So after stopping a couple times I decide to take off the back half of my case where the vesc is to possibly let it get some air cooling. However I thinks some of my sweat fell on the vesc and I heard this pop and there was a flash from underneath esc. Anyways it won’t turn back on and I am looking into the vesc 6 despite its high price tag.

BTW I run single drive with a tacon 245kv and 10s4p. Also I was very late XD

1 Like

Also my front truck gets pretty hot and there isn’t even a motor attached to it

1 Like

That’s the first problem I’d fix.

Lol maybe when I finish hs

hah bad luck, man … wish you a good start with the new vesc / controller once you get it… so is your board now just sitting at home or something?