Custom Ram Air for cooling

Yeah in the garage. Will be happy to try foc with a focbox. It has a heat sink which is awesome. Vesc 6 is just crazy expensive. Literally the same price as a good Kelley controller. Overall I was happy with my old enertion vesc worked great despite all the controversy when it came out.

1 Like

I would “like” that post, but that really sucks. Survived the heat and got killed by your sweat. Believe it or not, here in Florida, I worried about that while working on my board a couple of times. It would just fall off my forhead and land on the board. A little to the left, or to the right, and right into a battery connector. The threat is real.

2 Likes

I have come to accept that riding during the day in the summer defines most of my problem. Even if there is air passing over the Motor, I don’t know how much good it does when it is a stream of hot air. For now, I have equipped whiteboard with lots of light and I do my daily rides after the sunsets. You know, when it is only 88°.

I’ll try to design a stick on fan like the one posted earlier in the thread. Either way SK3’s have a internal fan, mostly the 6374, maybe the 6364, but I didn’t see one in the 6355s. Also on my 6374, the motor gets warm. I can hold it and it won’t burn but you’ll notice it’s warm.

2 Likes

Mine’s a 6354. It gets hot, but at a certain point it doesn’t keep getting hotter. It’s just a difference I noticed after putting on the enclosure. It is also conceivable that there are other variables at work. I am starting to become more confident and comfortable and I am probably riding a little harder and a little faster than before.

Ok lets take the modern sport bike as a example. A super-sport bike is based on a racing motorcycle and entire categories are based on racing stock bikes. Don’t you think they have squeezed every ounce of performance out of the bike as possible? If larger rear brakes would pull the bike up faster don’t you think some one would have mounted a 330-300mm disk on the rear with a twin piston caliper like is used up front? Rear brakes are 170-150mm with a single piston. Ant more and you lose modulation and just lock up the rear. The front on the other hand has 2 x 330-300mm disks with twin piston (thats 4 pistons all up) radial calipers. These are mounted in a radial orientation from the axle because so much force can be applied that a traditional mount to the fork leg binds and twists giving you brake chatter. Lets take another example, through the 60’s disk brakes began to be used on cars as they were more powerful but expensive. They were only used on the front… by all means find even one example of a production motor vehicle that has a more powerful rear brake? It is simple physics, there is just no weight behind the rear wheels to aid braking unless you are going backwards.

1 Like

@oldguy @longhairedboy Peltier units are cool, no pun intended, but they are just so stupidly inefficient. Your only going to end up creating vastly more heat than if you just used a larger heatsink. Though it never hurt to try something new out, so why not!

@evoheyax when I was originally designing my board I thought water cooling would be awesome as well, just overly complex lol. Would love to see someone do that, may even try doing it as well one day.

@jrpwit I was having some over heating issues with my VESc as well, after a long burst of acclearting or going fast my VESC would start to thermal throttle quite a lot and it was a problem especially when I wanted to go fast or get going. My solution was to add some small heatsinks to the MOSFET’s on both sides as well as a small fan blowing right on them. The fan just blows the air around inside the enclosure, theres no port for ventilation, but it works plenty well and I haven’t had any throttling problems since!

2 Likes

Well of course they are. I’m going to put the hot side up top so i can keep my tea warm.

1 Like

Your a genius! Never mind this is now incredibly efficient! Who has the noble prize in physics, give it to him now!

I would have to do some studying up on liquid cooling. I know very little beyond the physical concept. I’m assuming there would need to be a pump, and that the liquid is not just water but some kind of gel or anti-freeze type of chemical. Then there is circulation and the biggest challenge of all, as it concerns the motor, is the fact that 90% of the body is rotating rapidly so afixing things to it is pretty much out of the question. Still, philosophically speaking I am not opposed to innovation for innovations sake.

1 Like

Well for liquid cooling, at least in PC’s which is im guessing what you’d adapt most of the parts from you usually just use water with some additives. Yeah the main can of the motor is moving, but not the ends of it, or how else could you mount the motor lol. And yes you just use a small 12v pump with a radiator somewhere. Not entirely sure were you’d want to put the rad cause they are very fragile.

2 Likes

I am wondering what kind of transfer I could expect by running it over the bracket and how likely keeping that cool would translate to the motor. Particularly when I believe the majority of heat resides in and around the copper coils in side. Now if I could invent a way to transfer temperature control across a magnetic field, then I would make a play for that Nobel prize myself!

I should probably mention that I do not possess a single molecule of engineering aptitude anywhere in my body. Give me a keyboard and I can accomplish almost anything. Give me tools and the best I could hope to accomplish is an eventual trip to the emergency room. I only mention this because if my questions indicate I am not thinking about this in the correct way, it is probably because I am not.

I did see this on the APS website the other day.

WC80100 Outrunner brushless motor 180KV 7000W water cooled

80100 size, go on you know you want too :wink:.

3 Likes

Damnit. 10 chars

I think you would see a decent temp drop as the coils are mounted to the stator and in turn the motor case which is mounted to the bracket that holds the motor in place. I would see how hot the bracket gets during a ride and if its quite hot I could see it being worthwhile. I think your best bet would be using some type of generic heat block from like eBay or AliExpress and mounting it to the motor mount.

I have felt, not measured with any kind of accurate device, the bracket at the same time as the motor and I would say it is nearly as hot, maybe a fraction less.

This talk of water cooling XD “I’m going to overclock my esk8” Not too difficult to setup for an esc but I don’t know where you would put the radiator with it getting gunked up with dirt.

Cut up an old heat sink and found some paste. Hope to use them when I get my focbox!

Glue one of those things on the lateral side of a motor and you gotta yourself a two in one solution. A heatsink for the motor AND wheel spikes to spike everyone else on the road.

3 Likes

You could in theory just use a length of copper tube instead of a radiator, would server the same purpose and be a lot more durable, seen people do it before with PC’s.

Those heatsinks are pretty tall, this is what I use and they fit perfectly on my VESC.

1 Like