Custom VESC 6 for robot

I’m currently in the proces of customising a VESC 6 design for usage in a robot. The idea is to create a Dual VESC eventually. But first I would like to design a single Vesc to test.

Maximum motor current will be around 20 amps and 10 amps continuous. I’ve left out the NRF24L01P and MPU9150 since we won’t be needing those. Eventually all communication will go over CAN, but for now I left the ppm(or pwm) input for testing purposes.

Below you’ll find the schematics. I’ve designed the PCB as a two layer pcb and made the design in Eagle, if there is any interest the brd and sch can be shared.

Could the more advanced designers take a good look and let me know if there are any weaknesses or point of attention in the design?

Board design Dual_motor_controller_v2

MCU CAN

DRV8301 drv8301 Motor FETs Motor_fet Can COMM can Hall COMM hall External connections ext_comm

3 Likes

Robots you say? @DerelictRobot

5 Likes

Yes it’s a self driving robot, the Vesc will be used to control overboard wheels ~350watt.

And the used mosfets are: NVMFS5C604NLAFT1G since they have more than enough current capability while still remaining quite small, and are easier to solder than the direct fets.

What supply voltage will this be operating at? What are the reliability requirements?

A 7S12P battery will be used to power the system, so 21-29,4V.

Tha system should be very reliable since it will be eventually used in a production environment.

1 Like

What firmware will be used? Will it be custom and closed or a GPL Vedder variant?

As someone who first stated using VESCs on robots(then esk8), I wonder what is the reason for making your custom VESC: reduce cost, gain design experience(& hence potential for improvements), improved specs?

1 Like

At first Vedder’s variant will be used for testing, later this will be customised to suit our needs.

1 Like

Mainly to create a Dual VESC that will be integrated with the controller board already in the robot. This will reduce costs and build time.