DH Lift | Dropped deck | Ronin cast trucks | Hub motor | Backpack drive | Backpack Battery

How about making something like what mellow has?

@bartroosen12 : After a survey from your link of these ESC I understand that I have to build the solution from kits like these :

• diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/63mm-5300w-dual-motor-electrical-skateboard-kit/
  • diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/torqueboards-dual-motor-mechanical-kit/

It seems dedicated to ā€œbig hill climbingā€ so great ! Yet, I have to ask the guys of this site if I can mount such a kit on my dh ronin cast trucks. Then, to go down hill with my dh wheels, I suppose I have to remove at least :
- the e-Wheel(s) - the belt , - the pulleys, Last, I donā€™t know the weight of such kit and put it on the rear truck is just hell for dh, why not put it on the front truck ! Ok I discuss al that with these guys and tell youā€¦

Thanks !

@LaCha : I would say because :

• Iā€™m just the opposite of an expert as the guys from Mellow are,
  • you cannot use the mellow drive with your own dh trucks,
  • riding up hill during 5 km at 8% may not be a reliable program of the mellow drive.

Of course itā€™s also possible to put it on the front truck if itā€™s better for you. The kits are looking awesome and so damn powerful :smile: Believe me with 2 of those motorā€™s you wonā€™t have any problems with climbing hills.

• The 12S 120A ESC is just perfect
  • The motors are 190Kv, hobbyking has 149kV (SK3) which would be better for torque and lower topspeed (around 40km/h with 149kv motor)
  • I should use the 36T wheelpulley they sell and the 13T motor pulley to get the lowest speed (40km/h)
  • Motormount should be nice if they fit on your trucks.
  • All 83mm Flywheels/ clones will fit on the wheelpulley so also perfect (I recently bought them if you need a link or you can buy them on the diyesk8 site)

And yep no mellow drive that will be a disaster I guess.

[quote=ā€œframeto, post:23, topic:21828ā€] you cannot use the mellow drive with your own dh trucks, [/quote] wait a second, youā€™re intending to ride the motors downhill? I kinda assumed you wanted to ride downhill as what you got, and uphill as a powered setup. Changing one set of trucks might be the fastest/simplest way to swap. If you build your own, you donā€™t necessarily have to go at those speeds.

That will skip like crazy, donā€™t go lower than 14. Get a 38-40 on the wheel instead

Hi, If I should suggest you a setup with parts I should use these parts:

This will give you a max speed of 35km/h by 4500W max power.

If you find a suitable motor mount you can choose the belts and stuff, I know @whitepony has a motor mount for Ronin trucks on his awesome build. But thereā€™s one major problem, I donā€™t think you got enough space to put 2 of these motors on one truck. maybe with smaller beltsā€¦ Or you can just buy a kit from DIY and just unscrew the trucks every time you go uphill :smiley:

1 Like

No, the solution is basically :

• climbing uphill (5 km / 8%) with a motor drive mounted on my Ronin cast trucks (at minimum 20 km/h ),
  • then remove the battery and e-wheels and put them in my backpack,
  • then ride downhill with my dh wheels (DTC Ray SETAE 72 mm) and the motor disconnected (in other words : just pure gravity based acceleration/braking and no motor based accelaration/braking),
  • no trucks or any objects harder than my back + back protector in the backpack for safety reason in case of dh crash on the back.

Ahhhh. But youā€™re going to be carrying around at least a battery in that backpack. Thatā€™s like the worst thing to fall on.

2 Likes

I read this dimensions/weight for this battery pack : Cell Weight: 114g Cell Size: 128 x 42 x 10mm

According to their weight, if we put only 5 cells below the deck it increases the board of 500g and itā€™s a good compromise to avoid the backpackā€¦ Do you have an expectation of the ā€œvery min and max rangeā€ that can be done at 20 km/h and 8% with 5 cells ? maybe the only answer is ā€œletā€™s try !ā€ :wink:

Wait you wanne make a 5S battery pack instead of a 12S pack? Because if you do that the max power will decrease sooo much like max 2000W instead of 4500W. If you wanna go for less cells under your deck 6S is a lot used. it will have not as much power as a 12S pack because itā€™s half the voltage but the weight will be less thatā€™s true. But them you can chose other ESC which are a lot cheaper and the max topspeed will be lower which is better. I will make a list if you want ;;

oh no forget it ! as a newbie I misconfused the packs and cells sorryā€¦ But yes comparing the two version 6S and 12S is interesting. Basically, if less powerful (6S) means less speed, less range but also less heat so more chance that nothing burns, Iā€™d preferā€¦ By the way, Iā€™ve asked to the DIY for their mechanical mounts vs my Ronin trucks but no answer yetā€¦

1 Like

If Iā€™m not wrong the smaller battery will produce more heat. The motors will pull more current due to the lower voltage. I donā€™t think anyone has any mounts for ronins yet. There are some guys who have modified their ronins to fit a mount though.

Yeah a 6S battery will no problem to use. Because right now the build is getting a bit too extreme. A dual motor setup on 6S batterie will stil give you like max 4000W and with a max speed of 30kmh that will really be no problem :wink: You could use these:

You need a pusher that can attach to the back of the board. Probably around the truck. Maybe a quick release to attach it. No changing wheels / trucks. The batt/esc is in the pusher. 1 motor geared for torque. Might be a bit heavy in the backpack, but the battery could be protected. I dunno :disappointed: - just thinking.

Or how about something like this? The range seems really short though. http://www.riserobotics.com/kickstick/

my advice would be to use your downhill board for down hill and get a separate electric board for flat ground.

there is no way you can have the best of both worlds. there is always a compromise.

Why not trying to mix :

• the pusher ideas of @SageTX and @LaCha with the SK8-Booster dedicated e-wheel/truck concept, but with the e-wheel that could be put down to the ground to climb up the hill, and moved up, may be through the deck (in the middle) to go dh,
  • with a pluggable/unpluggable battery packs.
  • and that respect in a way the advice of @lowGuido : donā€™t try to integrate the dh and ā€œeā€ setups !

OMG, the phone will ring and I will wake up soon :wink:

To avoid carry the battery pack in a backpack to save weight in the board while dh and preserve safety and damage in case of crash, one can purchase for several lower range packs (5 km each) store them down the hill, and leave them up the hill. After 4/5 dh runs : take your car, go up the hill and bring back the packs down the hill, and redo 4/5 runsā€¦ Ok : one need a car, but dh people are used to use their car up and down all the timeā€¦they just will do it less with such a dh lift which is good for the planet,and much more cool as being (only) 5 big guys in a small car in leather suits with protections and your big board is not always so fun, especially for the owner of the car (or his/her parents) :wink: I fear I still havenā€™t wake up :wink:

@LaCha : the KickStick could have been a solution, but the project seems not live anymore. Some times ago, I also looked for this one, but no commercial version yet.

It looks like something you can make though! Probably less to worry about compared to an eskate.