DIY 3D printers | Ultimaker2 Open source | Filaments

This thread is about how 3d printers can be built and some links to really useful resources where you can find more detailed information with step-by-step description. I know that this is nothing to do with e- board builds but it might be in the near future when stronger material is available to print with. Please feel free to ask questions and let’s build one to build electric skateboard.

Great information here to start. You can find part list here and the prices of the parts as well but it needs to be updated.

Files

Assembly manual

6 Likes

Interesting ! concern with this type of project, you always have to wait for china post to ring your door, so you might loose interest while gathering part :slight_smile:

Sounds very interesting! I’m looking forward to see some more input from the rest of the forum!

1 Like

If anyone is in the market for a 3d Printer and wants to build/assemble their own check out the prusa i3, it a great all in one kit that comes with everything in the kit (including tools) Prusa also has live customer chat and they will answer any questions you have. I honestly think it has better print quality than the MakerBot 5th gen… Check it out (I Built One)

http://shop.prusa3d.com/en/

The shipping time isn’t too bad 2-3 weeks from China,order all the parts at once then working on the case.

Agree. Prusa is a good choice. I prefer the enclosure because of the smell of filament burning with ABS and it heats up faster and less noisy etc.

FlashForge 3d Printer Creator Pro, Metal Frame Structure, Acrylic Covers, Optimized Build Platform, Dual Extruder W/2 Spools, Works with ABS and PLA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I8NM6JO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_nT6Mxb19QWA1H

I’m gonna take your advice and buy this.

Do you think the small bed is large enough? Approx 8in by 6in by 6in tall

Too small! Get a Wanhao Duplicator i3! :innocent:

It’s a good printer only problem is too small for me so I built bigger one.

I wanted something with a heated bed for carbon filament.

I just don’t have the time to put one together… How much did you pay for your homemade one?

It has a heated bed

I spent $800-1000 for the parts.

Build volume 223 x 223 x 305 mm (8.8 x 8.8 x 12.0 inches)

I bought some genuine parts from ultimaker parts store.

Can I use carbon filament?

Aren’t the enclosed ones generally better than open air

Hmmm that’s not a bad deal it’s just that I don’t have time to complete it. I’m so swamped with many other projects.

Just go through the assembly manual to see if you have time for building one.

File is too large to display on my phone but I will give it a shot when I get back to my computer. I don’t see myself doing any large scale prototyping just mounts, controllers, pulleys stuff like that. I still think the flash forge is the way to go for me

Plus Amazon sells it on prime so I got Amazon backing it up

Yeah, good call. The print quality is awesome.

Yea thanks for the info buddy