DIY Fiberglass Enclosure How to & Tips

I am planning to make my own enclosure just to keep the spirit of DIY, I will attempt to use Diolen as the outside layer so I can share my experiences later. Diolen is called “poor mans Kevlar(Aramid)” so I guess it’s heckin good. Also 4x more expensive than fiberglass twill but costs 2x less than kevlar/carbon fiber.

2 Likes

But why do you even want to use it except for science?

My board got water damaged and started flying off full throttle and the hit a curb at 35kmh and it was a direct hit in @bigben enclosure, there was only cosmetic damage

If this is your first time working with fiberglass, i would keep it simple and instead of messing around with the new material I would find a cheap vaccum pump :smiley:

let the guy experiment, its fun and can’t hurt anything. hell, maybe he will come up with something that changes the game.

7 Likes

Because:

I did research, it’s supposed to be the outer layer of things. I will do it.

I bought enough to have several attempts anyways.

3 Likes

And it looks sick!

2 Likes

Lots of colors to choose from too. :wink:

Ofc, there’s Vectran too. But it’s VERY expensive. Apparently it’s “five times stronger than steel and ten times stronger than aluminum”. Also requires something called LCP - Liquid Crystal Polymer(-isation?) technology. :smiley:

That seems too fancy to be used in our backyards to me :smiley:

1 Like

Diolen was the only one which appeared “home-safe”. :smiley: Hybrid materials are insane though…

1 Like

dam that finish is nice

1 Like

You can sublimate or ‘print’ any picture on a t-shirt/fabric/fiberglass(?) and if you take into consideration the darkening of colors after wet-out, you can make it kinda anything you like

Easycomposites in the UK and East Coast Composites in the US offer Lots of different things to wet out

or even something like this of ethnic events: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32797181793.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dfRtITV

@bigben wondering if you can link the gel top coat you use. Looks damn slick if you don’t mind me sayin so :sunglasses:

It will depend where you are in the world as to what you will be able to get hold of. If you take a look at boat moulds you should be on the right track.

In Toronto, CAN. Thx, dude. Will do some investigation.