DIY Motor Mount Adapter for Cronins

me too… :wink:

Count me in too

Quick update. The Ronins are obviously cast and the process is very fine but they are not of “machine tolerance”. Each casting is cleaned up by hand leaving slight differences in each hanger. The end user might need to make fine adjustments to the bushing which will clamp to the hanger for an air tight fit. We compared notes this morning and he is printing the prototype this evening. We will go from there and decide if we need to leave any extra material for fitting with a file. The fitting will not be a big deal if we even need it at all.

2 Likes

great, really looking forward to the result! remember to keep it wide enough to fit 9mm, 12mm and 15mm setups!

1 Like

I set it up for 9-12, but 15 might just fit.

Please shoot for 15mm compatability :slight_smile:

1 Like

Someone say 15mm?

13 Likes

Hardcore, nice work.

1 Like

Looks fantastic. Do you have a build thread for your setup?

Also, how are you routing the motor wires. I only make the motors face in such a way that the wires come out away from the trucks/wheels. Yours is coming toward the wheels.

No build thread yet im still doing a lot of experimenting and everything else is duct taped together but runs great at 30+mph

Mounting wires towards truck is simple about the only necessity is silicone motor wire. I’m using zip tie mounting squares to make sure there is enough slack for movement

did you use the same mounting process / method as @whitepony outlined (looks like it, just checking) ?

Yes, same method as whitepony it was actually not to difficult and the only thing I would change is use a steel tube

I bought stainless steel and aluminium, but aluminium was a lot lighter and seemed solid enough. why would you use steel the next time?

The aluminum I bought isn’t that strong. When I relied on the the third screw (between the two big screws) so my mount wouldn’t move it cut through the tube. Now I mostly rely on just the clamp from the two bigger screws and tighten those suckers down and lots of loctite. It shouldn’t be a problem now but steel would give me peace of mind. The aluminum I got is probably not the best but there wasn’t that many tubes in 28mm I can find since the US insists on using imperial

Isn`t the size of the alien mount 30mm? Or do you mean inner diameter of 28mm?

Torqueboards mount is 28mm

hm, my aluminium tubes with only 1mm wall thickness were really supersolid. I tried to deform one tube and didnt manage. I also got a 3rd screw that is supposed to fixate the mount - really tightened it down a lot and I probably left a mark in the aluminium, but cutting through? noway :open_mouth:

Okay seems like what I purchased is low quality. I couldn’t find options I even got quoted like +$200 for a piece of steel pipe. Even considered carbon fiber because they have the right size. I think it will hold though

@Titoxd10001 what type of epoxy did you use between the bushing and the hanger? Any idea what grade of aluminum?

I used g-flex with lots of 404 filler (doesn’t flex like the name implies.) I think it’s 6060 aluminium.

I tested this setup today to my brothers house which is about 12miles round trip and it is crazy with two motors and hit 34mph in the bike lane. Mounts don’t really hit anything over driveways or large cracks but one mount moved slightly without third screw so I’ll tighten it down and if makes a hole i probably fill it with something. It’s good to see that you @Chris1 and I think OKP now are working on ronin truck motor mounts. They’re a safety feature to me because they’re so stable but you can still turn on a dime to avoid ppl that open their car doors all the way that I’ve had to avoid a couple of times now.