Drang Boards deck building services, design, cnc etc

Gents. This thread is a month old and 300 posts long and there’s still not a single esk8 deck.

Simplify, remove some cooks from the kitchen, settle on a single project and make a deck.

8 Likes

One more cook here. I wanna have at least one board that I can ride confidently in rain. Please make a top hollow deck.

Water flows down too. What’s the difference between top and bottom? All designs thus far require a enclosure.
Don’t think we’re shooting for a full integrated stealth deck.

If waterproof is your goal, you want the door on the bottom, not the top

3 Likes

so true 10 char

Well we can seal the top with a flexible plastic sheet(think polycarbonate) and a flat rubber gasket. Screws at the right places will maintain that pressure, ensuring a tight seal.

Pretty difficult to do that with a bottom mount enclosure. Also avoids enclosure damage from impact from rocks etc.

How is attaching things with hardware and a gasket different from the top than the bottom?

Water always finds a way in

He doesn’t know what he is talking about. Best to ignore him when he starts throwing shade on top hatch style enclosures.

Im just not sure a integrated deck is the goal here. Idk tho. I just want a kicktail and the ability to have a good size battery and clearance.

Water always finds a way in. If it can’t get in now, wait a month and it will find a way in. Having the door on the bottom means that, due to gravity, which is irreversible, the water will tend to want to escape the enclosure through the failing seal, instead of fill it up.

If waterproof is your goal, having a door on top will not get you there.

Says the person who has financial benefit in making me look bad. I don’t sell decks or anything and only use these things. I’ll tell it how it is. I ride in the rain and snow all the time. I’ve had boards fail in the rain and I’ve had boards not fail in the rain. I see what causes failures and what doesn’t.

1 Like

You don’t buy decks either, from what I see you enjoy stifling discussion more than building decks. Stop offering up hearsay as fact.

Water always finds a way in. If it can’t get in now, wait a month and it will find a way in. Having the door on the bottom means that, due to gravity, which is irreversible, the water will tend to want to escape the enclosure through the failing seal, instead of fill it up.

Using your logic I should put the lid on my electric surfboard on the bottom?

2 Likes

You have an electric surfboard??

12 Likes

Before I get back on topic I must say. This isn’t a group buy thread for a single board. This is an overview thread on Drang Boards specifically. I will start new group buy threads on the various board ideas which have worked out of this conversation. There are many conversations going on here. So please don’t feel like we’re steering away from your ideas by talking about a new idea. The dialog which must happen for each person with eskates is now longer than the dialog which must happen for choosing a custom longboard.

7 Likes

The electric surfboard has to float, so, I’d say probably not. But you already know that. You’re trying to smear me because you sell top-lidded decks. Gravity does not care about looks. Vibrations don’t care about looks. People outside of Southern California care about rain. Surfboards don’t take the vibrations that skateboards do.

Y’all can listen to the person with nothing to lose either way, or listen to the guy that sells decks with top lids saying that top lids are better. Your choice

1 Like

Easy with the thin skin buddy, nobody is smearing you.

Water pressure is greater under the board than on top, pure and simple. Riding through puddles or wet roads will drive water into a bottom mounted enclosure much more than the rain falling on top. Needless to say, very few people ride in the rain but many people ride on wet surfaces.

I would wager that you need to build a few more boards before you go around crying out the only way people should be building boards.

3 Likes

I imagine you should try using electric skateboards as your only transportation and sell your car, before you start saying I don’t know what I’m talking about. I rode to work today in the snow, over salted roads. You? I have two boards right now I can ride in the ocean if I wanted to. How about you? I guarantee that’s no accident and it took a LOT of trail and error and broken stuff to get to that point. I’m trying to add to the conversation with things that help – you’re trying to protect a good, but not as good, idea because you financially benefit from pretending to not understand.

You’re only talking about preventing ingress. I’m saying sure, preventing ingress is GREAT – but if you really want your stuff to work as a commute tool outside of SoCal, it also has to deal with ingress if it occurs – and for this aspect, a door on top is no good. Assuming the seal has failed, it needs to be failed on the bottom so that water runs out the broken seal instead of filling up your enclosure.

2 Likes

Feel free to keep this thread from being boring by posting pictures of your work.

4 Likes

Well,

1. I don’t feel confident of getting a good seal with the motor wires going into the enclosure at the bottom.
  2. Servicing is also easier with integrated deck, it’s like lifting the hood of a car and working on the engine as opposed to flipping the board upside down, cleaning the mess on the enclosure and opening the bolts…
  3. Sand dirt, salt water(when they salt the roads) doesn’t get inside
  4. Damage is limited if you hit something or a rock flies onto the belly
  5. looks cleaner