Dynamic Labs 4x4 "EVIE" - Car/RC inspired trucks w/ hub motors

As always…I’ll leave this here…

Go!

http://dynamiclabsllc.com

CLOSED LOOP TORQUE VECTORING STABILIZES THE BOARD AT HIGHER SPEEDS REDUCING THE “SPEED WOBBLE” INHERENT IN FOUR WHEEL STEER VEHICLES.

ACKERMAN INSPIRED STEERING GEOMETRY EASES UNWANTED STEERING EFFECTS DUE TO ROAD SURFACE IRREGULARITIES, AND PROVIDES A GREATER RANGE OF MOTION FOR TIGHTER RADIUS TURNS.

HANDS-FREE DEVICETWIST FORWARD TO GO, TWIST BACKWARD TO STOP. PATENT-PENDING FOOT PAD TECHNOLOGY ALLOWS THE RIDER TO INTUITIVELY CONTROL THE BOARD. CAN BE SET UP FOR BOTH REGULAR AND GOOFY RIDERS.

It was wicked cool till they said “Hands-Free” :unamused:

10 Likes

Those are some sick trucks. This seems like the lambo of eSk8s :smile:

3 Likes

Interesting trucks.

Looks a bit complex with all those parts.

Has anyone seen a truck like that before?

1 Like

The trucks look and sound amazing! The rest? Clown Shoes. That’s as far as my enthusiasm goes.

2 Likes

but there is Torque vectoring!! lol. Ill bet the nubs on the can go all the way across.Oooo

1 Like

All looks good except the hands free…

6 Likes

Ackerman steering on a skateboard… weird. Different. Complicated.

I wonder what it rides like

the more complicated they are the bigger the chance will be that something will fail… Yes they are nice looking but do you really need them ?? a simple truck does the same job without having “50” moving parts…

1 Like

Simple electric longboard would take you A to B. Who needs a car? You’re right but it cant be justified like that. It could ride better, in expense of maintenance and cost. Anyway pretty soon we will see more crazy engineering to eBoard. And I want to test them all out.

1 Like

haha (sorry there dynamic folks) ,the jeezless marketing bull****, oh Lord lol. but, ay, from a more serious viewpoint: they’ve made the steering and ride comfort more secure, thus paving a one of a kind new way for eboards; aand well-designed head-lamps, I think. but still., like Gee… aye, maybe it’s the social marketing logic of a) it attracts wealthy cringos + b) sensible people who look A to B safe and comfortable ride and can afford that. Without the Lambo look, maybe , not so. hell, who I am to judge. Thanks for sharing Mic!

I knew it would just be a matter of time until someone stole @hummie’s 14 rib and flange tire design. Unfortunately, he never patented it.

These look almost identical to his design.

14 grooves but doesn’t bother me. Different shape. 14 grooves that match the magnets for max flux reflection

“Torque vectoring” to stop speed wobbles? They don’t explain but makes sense that a powered wheel, even just one, would stop speed wobbbles as the wheel would be unable to vary its speed as in a wobble. Maybe that’s what they’re REALLY talking about and maybe that’s why I’ve never gotten a wobble Long wheels. Strange the 14 grooves on the tire only have 7 corresponding bumps on the motor. Looks hollow in the 3D.

Hi all! Thanks to Instagram user mrhandsk8board for letting us know this tread exists! We are totally stoked that we are on your radar and people are discussing us! I hope we can clear up any questions you guys have.

EVie only has two rear hub motors, the front wheels are not driven, but are designed to look exactly like the rear wheels for aesthetic reasons.

The Foot Pad: You accelerate and decelerate the board by twisting a foot pad with your back foot. It does take some getting used to. You’ll have to keep a lot of your weight on your front foot, and be comfortable letting your back foot shift around to be able to use it successfully, but that’s how I normally ride anyway so it works well for me. I think some people will love it, and some will totally hate it… but that’s okay. To me, I think it’s pretty sick when you get into a rhythm of brake - lean - go, all with your back foot. Nailing a turn perfectly like that feels amazing :grin:. Besides that you have your hands free to carry stuff, and don’t have to mess with a remote.

The Ackermann Steering System: Let me start by saying that regular skateboard trucks are currently a superior design. Trucks are so simple, elegant, effective and robust. To be able to change the ride characteristics so dramatically by turning a single nut is a genius design. But skateboard trucks are a mature design and have had decades to evolve. Our system is way more complicated and clunky. With a design like this, lots of things can go wrong, and have. I’ve been thrown off the board more than I would like to admit due to a steering system failure. However, I think the complexity of our design may be worth it because it holds a lot of potential. First off, it carves really really hard! Riding it is also way more fluid than regular trucks, there is almost no resistance to turning. You kind of just fall into a turn, and trust that the board will turn in to catch you. I think with this system we can also narrow the gap between low speed agility and high speed stability better than a regular skateboard truck, but we still aren’t there yet. The way it handles is definitely different, and will probably be another love it or hate it kind of thing.

Torque Vectoring: @Hummie Our wheels are torque controlled not speed controlled, so the wheels are totally free to rotate at different velocities. Even if all 4 wheels were speed controlled, if one wheel saw more resistance than the others it would rotate slower unless they were all locked together by the drive train (like a single motor with belts to each wheel or something) So yeah you can speed wobble in a powered truck, and we have.

So our system has a 6 degree of freedom inertial measurement unit on board. Its the same group of sensors that help to keep drones stable. It can basically sense the roll pitch and yaw velocities of the board, as well as accelerations in the x y and z direction. Knowing this, we are able to sense when oscillations (speed wobbles) are occurring. Our system then provides a differential torque to the wheels to try to stabilize the board. Basically if you wobble to the left, the board will try to turn you to the right and vice versa. We aren’t able to provide enough torque to totally kill the wobble, but it makes the wobbles less extreme, and gives the rider more time to sort it out before the wobbles get out of hand. It’s still not a perfect system, but it does help. Unfortunately it will also slow you down if you try to carve aggressively, which I love to do, so I ride with it off. We’ll keep improving the system and hope that one day it will save someone from injury or worse.

Let me know if there is anything else you want to know! This is great feedback so please keep the comments and criticisms coming!

2 Likes

Lol that would be me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Personally, I think you guys @DynamicLabs are great for trying to develop such a system - turning mechanism! I think it was about the time that someone came up with the idea how to make the trucks more advanced - so that they are turny at low speed and less turny at higher speed (or at least more stable).

The problem im seeing now with the existing options (spring trucks vs skate trucks) is that they either are hard or soft… and you get the option to choose only one, there is, of course, the possibility to put one kind of hardness bushings in the front and different kind of hardness bushings in the back but in my eyes it still does not offer the chance to stay stable at high speed and turny at lower speed.

Though, these are just my own thoughts (opinion) based on the little experience I have and what I have witnessed / seen on the internet - forums. I believe that longboarders or ‘‘downhillers’’ as some ppl call it, do know the different nuances how to keep stable at speed… but even if they know how to achieve it with their narrow / short trucks and small wheels Im not entirely sure can you bring the same concept to the emtbs and other bigger wheeled boards.

One thing though, I’ve seen these 3 wheeled boards and some of their turning mechanism looks promising as they are more simila to how cars turn - their tire camber (straight vs angled position to the road) differ, when you make a turn.

Im not an automobile expert but what I wanted to clear out, is that boards with 4 wheels and basic steering mechanism (skate trucks) in my opinion cannot really achieve what bicycles and motorcycles can do in a corner, where the angle changes…

So yes, congrats for going into this direction! I hope some day eboards will become more sophisticated and more open to the general public… which means they will also drop in price and will become a regularity, similar like motorcycles / bicycles and other transport is now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement!

the tech looks AWESOME but can you sell just the trucks/motors and let us build a more practical esk8 around it? Or offer a simple trigger controller to accelerate/brake? foot controls are cray cray.

lol! Yeah, a lot is going on at once with foot controls. If there is enough demand for it (it sure seems like there is) we can make an optional trigger controller.

Or better yet release some drivers to make it easy to bring in your own…more fun for you, less work for us :wink: Actually, that would be an excellent idea, and there is no reason not to.

When the board is released, we’ll be selling parts for maintenance and repairs, It’s not too far of a stretch to kit it all together for the DIY community.

3 Likes