E-Skate BMS Designs

I’m sorry but that doesn’t make sense. There must be a communication protocol that the BMS and the mobile device use to exchange information. It may be messy; it may be difficult to explain or document, but I can’t see how it could be “hardcoded”.

I’m expecting my 11s battery pack to become unbalanced in the foreseeable future and when that happens I’m thinking of converting to the Neptune 15 since it’s a similar size.

Questions:

Are the speed and temp sensors necessary ?

I think most people would like if the BMS stayed as a BMS and only did stuff relating to the battery. Temperature wise , we never really worry about the temp of the batteries (more so our motors) and use the motor sensors to get info about motor temp. Same thing Speed wise as we limit our ERPM and other settings.

Would it be possible to have a discounted price group buy for the Neptune 15? I’m sure with a discounted price and pending testimony from @Adstars , we would be willing to buy

@dannychan I’ve been following the Neptune for some time

My suggestions for a ESK8 version

• as compact as possible
  • ditch all discharge controls and maybe even current sensing, integrate everything with VESC via CAN bus, more on the next point
  • no Bluetooth, focus on CAN communication and firmware integration, most boards already have a Bluetooth module from @rpasichnyk and that already proved to work really well with a BMS, all done via CAN

Looking forward for what comes from this

The truth is that there is no good choice for BMS, we have one or other amazing designs, but they are just too big, meaning on most builds sacrificing significantly battery capacity, or they are dumb BMS’s that most of times are cheap and of doubtful quality

3 Likes

Like Meatloaf says, I’d do anything for love, but I won’t do that.

iOS non-fanboy, just cannot be bothered going to time/trouble/money. Even a desktop app to connect would be fine.

I would love to not have to bypass a bms, and I like this litlle thing, but 60 will not cut it.

Im looking at the site but having trouble understanding what the Neptune 15 has that the Lite doesnt. What am I missing?

The website has poor product detail for the lite version, I would imagine it’s discharge current is lower but you’d have to download the user guide and give it a detailed read/compare

I’m pretty sure the lite version is only for battery monitoring while the full version has discharging capabilities.

1 Like