Elofty Direct Drive

Can anyone share the total width for the rear setup in inches with wheels mounted? The rubber bacons, and the grey 90s? Also, what kind of heights from bottom of deck to the ground with those DKPs?

1 Like

If you put TKP In rear it gives it a weird effect where there is more turning in the back causing it to make sharp uncontrollable turn.

rode for the first time.

Smooth acceleration and braking. and freeroll is not bad at all. Quiet riding experience(Except for bad condition roads). 15539294969170 15539295176232

I don’t know the durability yet but it’s very fun.

Tested with Evolve’s genuine battery. I need to make a battery pack! 15539295077871

14 Likes

The first official buyer reports in! Glad to hear you got these on the road and that you’re happy with them. Look forward to hearing more.

2 Likes

@esk8jpn, awesome to hear your positive reviews. Sadly I can’t ride until I figure out how to attach the pneumatic tires. Might have to 3D print the hubs. The standard aliexpress 6x2 tires won’t fit.

Oh BTW, could you take a shot of the trucks from the other direction. I want to see how the pivot cup looks.

3 Likes

Hey, could you elaborate on the noise aspect? Is it a rattle on bad roads? Is it more than what you’d expect from a usual belt or hub drive? Is there noise from motor bearings?

I have a carbon gt which I tried so much to reduce rattle and the culprit was the wheel bearings. Bones red race bearings just made it worse and the best solution was to clean the original ones and fill them with thick grease. This quietened them heaps but sacrificed free rolling when just spinning the unloaded wheels but it made absolutely no difference to while riding (electric boards don’t free roll like normal boards anyway so seems pointless for the marginal gains from bearings)

My lazy ass rode the Meepo ESC again today. For city riding conditions, it definitely works. Low speed setting is great for picking through pedestrian traffic with total control and high setting gives a nice rush of power right up to a respectable top speed.

If we ever do a GB, I might have to buy another set for exactly this application.

5 Likes

They sound ideal for bringing some love to an old meepo deckswap, if there’s a GB im in for a set

6 Likes

IMG_4358

It’d be so awesome if the dkp first stage hanger fit this - anyone have on hand to test?

1 Like

No reason it won’t. Since someone above has used just the first stage with elofty

1 Like

Would you need the first stage of the RKP kit to fit that? I guess you can’t use only the kingpin with that baseplate? I’ve never played around with swapping baseplates, so I really don’t know how they work/fit, to be honest.

TKP, not RKP. Just need baseplate, cone/cone bushings, and kp nut.

1 Like

Right. Brain no work good. I’ve always wanted to try Avenue baseplates. And if they work with the elofty kit… two birds with one delicious stone. At this point I’m just waiting to hear if a group buy is going to happen or not. Either way, I’m totally getting a kit :drooling_face:

4 Likes

Interesting read from Sofu:

2 Likes

it will fit, with minor modification (that’s the OG Evolve / Avenue hack)

axial motors need clearance on drop-through, and Avenue baseplates are top-mount only so it’s a good match

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/no-words-just-pictures-delete-words-2/88821/20?u=topcloud

by the way, the new TB 110 wheels fit perfectly on the eLofty drive. :slight_smile:

1 Like

maybe one of the options on the group buy can be a pair of pre-modded Avenue base plates for the eLofty hangers.

it should be done at a machine shop.

one can also drill a hole in the leaf spring to soften it up.

to add to @sofu 's mod, I stopped mine from ‘squishing’ entirely by placing a hemisphere of 50 Duro Sorbothane in the center of the spring:

https://www.amazon.com/Isolate-Sorbothane-Hemisphere-Non-Skid-Durometer/dp/B0084ELFIU?th=1

this sorbothane-in-spring made a big difference in board feel; on long, straight lines, my 90 mm hubs feel like thane.

2 Likes

Oh man that was so long ago I totally forgot I wrote that :rofl:

2 Likes

Hahaha, well I busy putting things together. And then I got a little bit sad that I wouldn’t be able to use my beloved 6x2" pneumatic wheels directly.

3 Likes

the motors are 6850 long / 6700 wide.

With a 67 mm can, I’d definitely stay over 85 mm wheel and suggest a minimum of 100 mm wheel for what we do.

Axles (no wheels) are 308 mm wide, end to end.

Clearance on drop-through flush-mount decks is perfect (as Evolve re-designed for in 2016 with the dropped Carbon GT deck) for 97 MM wheels and up.

With the TB 110 mm wheels, from the top of the baseplate to the ground, is a very speed-bump friendly 125 mm.

Trucks are fully compatible with Evolve DKP base plates, both levels.

The eLofty hangers are wider than the Evolve hangers.

There are few decks that are strong and thin enough to provide the clearance the cans need at full drop-through (non-flush mount, which pushes the deck closer to the motors).

In fact, I can only think of two: Trampa Orrsum and Loaded Icarus Flex 1 + Alan’s enclosure (eboardsperu.com)

5 Likes

Do you have any pictures of your modified Avenue baseplates?

1 Like