Enclosure without screws

If you have a bunch of tool like a anvil, drill-press, stick welder, angle grinder, taps/dies and a bar steel bender. Then you could build some claps that hug the edges of the deck. I’ve made motorcycle seat brackets, and other parts this way. Its going to end up looking a little over built, and heavy. Alternatively if you have a 3d printer it possible to designee some clamps. Anyway you cut it your end up with a lot of waste trying to avoid the simple solution. I use Rat nuts. I would avoid wood screws because they can end up giving your board long micro cracks, and it can killing the pop. Rat nuts and thread inserts tend to fill the space which is really the best solution. less stress on the wooden deck, and a nice clean looking install.

2 Likes

I think if you mount a base with flanges for glue to the deck with sikaflex, then screw the enclosure into that base piece, you could make the enclosure without drilling into the deck.

I’ve velcroed all the components to the board and it works as long as the battery isn’t to thick and heavy. Not straps just Velcro. Stuff from hobbyking is strong.

I’ve also glued using hard polyurethane and was even stronger (for batteries). And a thin carbon layer wet laid on top

Here’s an idea. This idea would need the enclosure to be relatively thin, and the enclosure material would need to be as wide as the deck.

bullshit:

Velcro can be one of the cleanest solutions I have seen on here. Better than some of the screwed enclosures even.

How so? He had to use twice the amount of screws into the deck for the velcro anchors…The are way cleaner solutions…

You could have this. But you’re going to use velcro?

1 Like

I have to admit that I was assuming that he just does not want to have through holes and that wood screws would be ok. He could however try and epoxy them or something - that could also work. Just not sure if that would actually be any “cleaner” than through holes :thinking: I guess the question is why does he not want to drill holes in the deck?

Look at the pictures I just added here. No through holes. There are carbon steel threaded inserts that I installed into the deck. The enclosure is screwed into those. Most people assume drilling holes will weaken their deck. Even though nobody has a deck that doesn’t have holes drilled in it already.

Yeah I was doing the same with my enclosure - threaded inserts are nice. I just assume that he does not have the right tools for it (drill press so you can stop and don’t drill all the way through) - also this only works when the deck thickness allows this. You could also close the hole on the top again with epoxy @whitepony style.

Using the velcro anchors however was really simple as you can just use basically any wood screw and only need a cordless drill or screw driver. When removing them the “hole” that is left is pretty small and inconspicuous

1 Like

This convinced me it doesn’t matter:

3 Likes