Enertion Raptor Diary

Youre making me more and more jealous for mine to arrive. Glad youre enjoying it! And cant wait to see the videos. Youre using the HK GTB2 for now right? No drop outs anymore? Im sure youre turning some heads around london on that thing…and i’m definitely going to want and copy your settings

Yeah exactly, ever since I installed the GT2B she’s been a dream to ride, now that it consistently responds as I expect. The connection’s about 99% perfect to be totally honest, the signal does drop out very occasionally, but its instantly reconnected each time so far without any fanfare. Having the correct Firmware certainty helps I’m sure also. Plus the GT2B has two lights on it, a red one that signals its turned on and a green one that signals a solid connection, so it’s easy to see. I have “the mini” remote arriving on Monday and I’m in two minds about even using it… Certainly in no rush for the time being.

edit: Got my GT2B via Amazon (.co.uk) next day delivery. It’s “the mini” remote that I ordered from HK (Hong Kong), DHL tell me it’s arriving Monday.

why such a big remote ?

i thought it came with a different smaller remote?

The “Winning” remote which it came with was not working as it should, it was disconnecting and reconnecting pretty frequently. Alone not such a big issue but this was compounded by the fact, unbeknownst to me at the time, my VESC had the buggy Firmware which makes incremental acceleration steps with 1000x more power than recommended (“40” rather than “0.040” in the settings), which put me on my ass 3 or 4 times before I figured out what was going on. As I was understandably wary about trusting the Winning remote again I opted to go with the remote with the best track record I could find (w/fast delivery) - the GT2B. Enertion have kindly offered to send me a free new nano-x remote when their new stocks arrives. Though if it lacks an antenna (and/or is made by the same Winning remote/receiver company) I’ll be hesitant to install it, at least until it’s been comprehensively tested by the community. Also I’m now a fan of the lights on the GT2B, I like having the visual conformation that I’ve got a solid connection. As I say this “mini remote” I ordered from Hong Kong is arriving tomorrow according to DHL but I’m not sure I’ll even bother with it. Not right away anyhow. Very pleased how Sammy is performing atm and don’t wanna mess her up unnecessarily ya-know.

Also this large remote in my hand if often the thing people see first that makes them realise I’m on an electric board. I think there’s some safety in this aspect because they then anticipate me to act somewhat differently to a traditional skateboard/longboard. There’s functionality plus’s and aesthetic negatives to having such a big remote. But I know what’s important to me now…

@mrjonnyjones you still coming down to the beach today dude?

Anyone else in the UK that wants to come for a cruise down by Brighton Beach is also most welcome to join!! Gonna make this a Sunday event each weekend (we get nice weather) from now on.

1 Like

I REALLY wanted to dude, however I’ve had a load of work come in that needs my immediate attention, totally down for next Sunday though! :smiley: Have fun if you venture out today!

EDIT: Epic idea regarding making this a weekly thing, motivation to get projects finished and for people to (potentially) travel to ride along the sea front!

1 Like

Where are these mythical videos?! Would definitely help those of us waiting for our raptors to arrive. Cheers!

PGlad you had a solution that gives you surety in rider safety. The issue with the shipped remote was a problem and you were lucky not to seriously injure yourself more if the erratic acceleration. I hope others arent having the same problem Batch 4. By now the remotes should have been sorted, but understand Enertion were looking for a small remote, but reliable connection is probably more important. So GTB2 looks ungly but works.

Post some vids. When you can.

So the weather’s been pretty shitty here the past week, any runs I’ve done have been short and sweet. Just hasn’t been “nice out” / filming weather, plus I’m moving house. Don’t stress dude, video’s to follow 100% (when we get some more sun).

Using the GT2B has been painless so far, it’s internals seem solid. But I need to configure it more, basically everything works great other than I have to move the trigger maybe 15% before it bites. Like there’s some dead space in the start of the throttles travel movement. I think this can be tweaked but I forget how… ?

make sure your signal is well centered and then you can tweek your deadband

1 Like

I did this but still had the dead space…

ps: what did you mean by “make sure your signal is well centered”?

your min and max settings,

put the PPM disable, write, tick the display, squeeze full throttle, take note of the value, squeeze full brake , take note of the value.

enter those values in the min max, enable your ppm “current no reverse with brake”, write

1 Like

Thank you!!!

it’s also worth noting your neutral value, the vesc calculates the neutral value (MIN+MAX)/2 , just make sure your values are balanced, this way you can reduce your deadband

Another Sunday group ride in along the Brighton seafront and surrounding area. So far it’s just @mrjonnyjones and myself I believe but ANYONE is welcome to join - So long as you can keep up :slight_smile:

The weather forecast this afternoon is full SUN

Victoria - Brighton is only 55 mins on the train for all our London eSk8ers… Common down!

One Love

ps: @Blasto I fixed that deadband issue, thank you!

1 Like

A few issues with @Alexander’s board this afternoon…

https://youtu.be/lr25Y5RiPd4

I In the R/C aircraft world you must NEVER have the TX off whilst the RX is powered. Reason being is just what you’re experiencing here,- the vehicle bursting into life due to other signals/phones for example. Looking at what was happening before the TX was switched off I’d say the TX was loosing contact with RX perhaps low battery in TX? Either way the ESC must be configured to cut power when signal is lost and perhaps configure ‘soft start’ to prevent all your problems at the beginning of this thread. Perhaps take a look at an RC instruction manual (Futaba or Spektrum) to get an idea of how/what/why they all work. I don’t know either of the TX’s you’ve been using but the ‘proper’ (expensive) r/c TX’s all have what’s known as ‘expo’ to slow/soften the stick/triggers response around the neutral position. I’ve moved from London Last year to the Badlands of Oxfordshire but if you could bear spending time with a fossil I’d be up for a day in Brighton. I’m holding it down in Bournemouth today :grinning:. I’ve got a V1.

1 Like

You make some interesting points, we didn’t swap batteries in the GT2B. We did swap out the GT2B and installed the Mini remote and receiver and it seemed to work well. Few little bugs still but I’ll let @Alexander fill you in :slight_smile:

1 Like

The motors spining when the remote is off is the failsafe not being properly set up. The other issue when moving the remote is the deadband is too small to any little change in resistance makes the motors spin. They’re pretty basic things that anyone getting into DIY esk8s should know.

1 Like

That’s good to know, many thanks!! I may actually go back to the GT2B as I preferred it’s trigger motion. The other thing that troubles me, is that at “high speeds” there reaches a point where I hit this turbo or “power-band” as it used to be called on my motocross bike. Basically once I’m at about 20mph my acceleration is no longer linear, I get this sudden JOLT of force, this sent me flying yesterday after we parted ways @mrjonnyjones unfortunately. My Bern helmet can’t arrive soon enough now, though it was my hip that took the impact, bloody painful. No more skating (or walking more than 50 yards lol) for few days now.

@chinzw, so you’re saying to increase the deadband (from 0 to what approx) to resolve that remote issue? I found that on my BLDC tool I couldn’t get the deadband to go higher than “1”… it seemed locked in place kinda.

Then also how does one set up the failsafe properly so than if/when the remote turns off or runs out of batteries all that happens is that I coast to a stop (/no sudden braking or acceleration)?