Evolution. LY Evo 39, dual focbox, dual sk3 192, 12s 4p 30q bestech big ass bms Its Alive!

@dareno Good to see it mate, Really excited to see it. Share some videos about the performance of this board.

2 Likes

Its so close now after a frenzied night and morning session. My workshop looks like a bomb went off in there. IMG_1030 this was without a doubt the scariest part of the build so far :sweat: Getting the meter in and straight because beautiful as it is the enclosure does not have a straight line in it anywhere to measure from so eyeballing was the only way.
Taped up for the charge port and switch. IMG_1034 back to the drive to get some netting on (I know using a lighter for shrink tube is ghetto af) IMG_1036 Final connections outside the board and doing the lock shrinks to avoid those disconnected bullets. (loving those idlers though locks the mounts so well too) IMG_1037 Loving the way the grommetts look but on the next i won’t use those usb’s they are too huge and look like nipples. They are waterproof though and that was the thinking behind it Still reminds me of the underside of a pregnant dog though. IMG_1039 Some silicon in the grommetts for a bit more protection and a cable tie to lock them in. IMG_1041 Next one is going to be a teeny tiny little charge only bms though. That is a big bitch. IMG_1044 Getting some foam in there to keep it all snug. Bit worried about the bms getting too warm but it has to be locked down tight. IMG_1045 Battery is velcro’d down to the enclosure so it shouldn’t move laterally but I’m going to foam all down the sides once I’ve configured the ppm as I have to get to the cabling. The phase wiring needs locking with shrink but again without sensors I need to be able to swap if we are running the wrong way round which is inevitable. Sorry about the last pic btw I was shaking with the thought of hooking it all up and something going bang. All thats left to do is programming and get some new hardware for the truck wedges. I’ll probably run without the x thingys for now though as I’m over going bloody shopping. Most satisfying build so far by a country mile this one because of the wonderful designing that made it possible. I’ve created something beautiful by standing on the shoulders of better men :laughing:

6 Likes

Beautiful build. I would personally put at least some capton tape over that BMS. Too many exposed connections were you could get a short. I have capton + heat shrink over mine and the only thing that overheats are my motors. That is with 30-40C temperatures outside

1 Like

Thanks man! yeah was concerning me a bit so I put some shrink over it and then some foam to isolate it from the focboxes and keep it locked in place. I’ll keep and eye on it regards heat.

IMG_1048 Everything in and locked in place IMG_1047 Its alive! One of the dog nipples(usb) had somehow got hot glue in it so was not working. An hour with a pin picking that out…fun IMG_1051 IMG_1052 IMG_1053 And here she is in all her lovely evo glory. Can’t ride yet though due to shit skate shops in my area. they sell the wedge risers but not the hardware needed to fit them.:face_with_raised_eyebrow: Manana.
Testing will commence first thing and I’ll grab a gopro and take you all for a spin.

Thanks for reading and again for all the positive comments and encouragement.

5 Likes

@sk8l8r the reverse mounts do look good but note to self. Set up your mounts after you have wedged the rear truck. Got it all where I wanted it and then chucked the wedge on and had to strip it all down and re position. Silly man.
@Eboosted all done now man and theres all the rest of the pics. Just waiting for the hardware to open so I can bolt the trucks up and away we go. @taz Not a lover of full face lids on esk8 due to hearing things coming. I do use my bike full face if I’m being stupid though. Got a good certified open face that I use regularly.

1 Like

Bad ass build🤙🏾…did you add 2x of those USB ports on the enclosure Or can you just use one? I’m thinking of adding these for my next build…

Open face are great until this happens

If I am to ride faster than 30-35km/h I always grab the full face lid.

3 Likes

wow lucky escape. Yeah man like I said I grab my shoei full face when I’m going to be going fast or testing a new build just like later on. Bike jacket with kevlar goes on too just in case, but when I am just cruising around I like to hear the idiots in cages coming. Been longboarding and skating all my life so street facing is not an unexpected phenomenon and kind of learned how to fall too. My worst crashes in esk8 have been due to silly drivers pulling out and one even nudged me going past and put me in a front yard. Risks and rewards though imo. If it wasn’t dangerous it would not so much bloody fun. Glad you weren’t too badly hurt there man and thanks for the advice. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hey mate thanks real pleased with how it turned out! Man with a dual build you need two. One for each vesc if you run split ppm. Even with canbus you would still need to be able to do each motor detection seperately. I’m not entirely sure about the can bus set up though because I don’t run it but this will be getting a bluetooth adapter and can bus in the future so I can update from my phone. Then the holes for the usb’s will get some shred light chucked in there. Sorry I can’t be more help but have a scoot about with the search function and you can get a definite answer.

2 Likes

First ride was a lesson. A lesson in riding a true DH deck. Was wobbling all over the place because I rode it like a flat thing. I’ve been riding boards in different activities all my life and needed to understand the evo before it revealed itself to me and wow did it reveal itself. The best board I’ve ever ridden by a country mile. Lock your back foot in and solid as a rock. what a beast!

3 Likes

When you going to start uploading some videos I want to hear those Motors wine

1 Like

Been running for 3 days now and I’m getting more and more used to it. Kind of have to meditate a little to calm myself before a ride to stay relaxed because thats the key to this power. Chill and enjoy. Man its insanely fast even on my fairly conservative settings. Perfect cruiser on the normal maytech riding mode and an animal on the full setting. Still have to do some more bushing tests and its time for a strip down as its been 3 days. See whats rattled loose. @Skunk have to wait for my son to get back from overseas (hes got the gopro)

2 Likes

I really like the way you routed the phase wires into the enclosure, what are those things called? I’ve been meaning to find a nice way have the wires come in the enclosure.

Hey man, Yeah I wanted to keep the edge free of holes for water ingress etc so got a couple of cable gland nut grommets. They were locally sourced from an electronic shop over here but are pretty generic. In their true form though they are too big and stuck out a mile so I cut the cable gland section off and was left with a threaded tube. Then I heat shrunk the cable covering and pulled the whole thing into the tube and filled it with silicon. Used a couple of zip ties to stop the cables moving in and out and seems to be working out so far. If you have room in the enclosure you can reverse them and use the gland nut to tighten them up but not an option for me because of that giant bms. IMG_1039 image

4 Likes

Nice I’ll look them up, I don’t have much space in the enclosure either, I barely have room for the charge only BMS and antispark.

Just keep them as close to the deck as you can. Mine are a bit too low and the cabling was a bit close to the ground before i zipped it up.

2 Likes

Gotta get me some of those

2 Likes