Evolve Carbon (Gen2, non GT) FOCBOX Upgrade

Damn I’m so happy I found this thread, I have a Carbon Gen 2 AT w/ a recently installed 10s6p 30Q pack that I installed in it last week. .I want to upgrade the motors ( BTW AlexBE your board is fucking SICK ) at some point but after reading this I want to uprade to the focbox for the increased amperage as well as being able to use the nano remote. I ordered a gen 2 POS replacement remote and it was 90 fucking dollars ! WTF?

So my plan is to install the focbox but I see that they havea unity controller but is that only for dual motors rigt ? Could I use it to increase te amperage on mysingle motor then when it dies add on dual motors ?

For some reason I can’t private message so AlexBE if you could email me at [email protected], I have a couple question for you if you don’t mind, thanks a lot guys.

Might as well just ask any questions in this thread so everyone can see and search the information. Not sure why you can’t PM me. My upgrade sequence went

• Add FOCBOX and Nano remote. Main benefit is increased motor current and soft current limiting to avoid the Evolve BMS suddenly cutting power to the system. No idea why the Evolve motor controller allows the BMS to be constantly activated. With this upgrade the board can be ridden safely because there is no unexpected loss of power. Also the FOC doesn’t seem to bother dogs.
  • A few months later. Upgrade battery to 10S5P 30Q. This mostly just increases range and power.
  • Then change the motor to a 6354 SK8. I only did this because I knew I was going to change to dual motor when my Unity arrived. In reality I don’t believe this is a performance increase. The stock motor is much larger and being an inrunner I think has better thermal transfer between the windings and the case/environment.
  • Unity arrived and went straight in. No performance increase over a single focbox but to answer your question, yes you can run a single motor with a Unity.
  • Figured out how to weld aluminium and then added the second motor bracket when I got a spare weekend. Massive performance increase. No more torque steer or torque in braking. Way too much torque for me to hold because of the low gearing. Definitely easier to just buy a Gen 3 axle assembly, but less fun and you lose the Gen2 width.

Main thing I need to add now is a BMS for charging. I have been charging to 41V to be slightly safer, but I opened the thing up after 50 charges and the battery is balanced to 2mV.

I think it may be because I just joined the forum, really not sure.

Much thanks for the in depth reply, I didn’t know how frequently you checked the forums/thread but totally works for me. I have an upgraded BMS in my pack as well, I’m awaiting the battery builders (Pelicanbayinnovations) answer to exactly which one, he said was that it was “beefier” then stock.

So the 6354 itself wasn’t an upgrade until you went dual huh. I live in a small apartment so I can’t do anything to crazy like welding ( on a side note would you be willing to weld a motor mount for $?) so for now I was thinking about upgrading the motor to a SK8 6374 192kv for now. Do you think this will provide a more noticeable power increase ?

My main goal , eventually, is to have a dual motor config with the stock trucks (not sure how exactly yet) but for now I don’t mind the single motor setup. I am a big guy and the board gets me up some gnarly hills but then again it is my first board and like every other hobby of mine (snowboards, motorcycles, drones etc.) I do always end up upgrading to something bigger and better eventually…

I hear what yoursaying about the GT trucks but I love the stance of the gen 2, especially since I wear sz 13 shoes. The AT setup trucks through even the most gnarly of NYC streets… Is their any other way to install a secondary motor plate? Since I have a 10s6p already do you think I would gain anything from a Unity ? I REALLLYYYYY want to get rid of this POS remote, I had to order a replacement for a ridiculous 90$! The thing sucks huge gorilla nuts too, it has no telemetry, no charge LED, nothing that makes it worth that much money. So I was thinking about the focbox and the nano remote, unless you guys can recommend some other system ?

Sorry for rambling, I’m just excited to find people I can talk to about this shit. on Evolves boards it was crickets chirping haha, thhanks for any help guys. And BTW AlexBE, your setup is too got damn sexy looking ha, I’ll trade you a kawasaki zx10 for your board dead serious lol

1 Like

I suggest not using a discharge BMS, I would use charge only. If you are using a FOCBOX or Unity, rely on that to not over discharge your battery. A discharge BMS failing would be very very bad if you were going fast.

The 6354 was possibly an upgrade, but wasn’t huge. I probably could have pushed it a lot harder, but it was very hot outside at that time and I am conservative with motor temperature. I would guess it was a torque upgrade, but got a lot hotter than stock. 6374 will be a monstrous improvement. Single 6374 is similar power to 2 x 6354.

If you run single motor, just get a focbox, they are a lot cheaper than Unity (I think). I can’t help you with second motor plate as it looks like you are in NYC and I am in Western Australia. I bet you can find someone locally though, it doesn’t have to look pretty.

1 Like

The builder of my battery pack says that the BMS was spare one that he just had and he says it is “stronger” but aren’t BMS just to charge and balance the individual cells ? I build and fly FPV drones and it’s funny but a lot of the electronics are similar. Motors range in size from 2205 - 2305 with KV from 1500-3000kv+ depending on size and voltage. Batteries are from 3-6s and generally from 1000-2000 mah so I do know about lithium batteries and the importance of balancing cells, so this statement from the maker of my battery pack that it is generic and “stronger” is a bit unnerving. I will press for more info, I could always tear the heatshrink and take a look.

Alex its funny you mention cutouts because yesterday, for the first time ever, I had numerous cutouts when riding.The motors would spin for a few seconds then just stop, eventually after turning the board and remote off a few times it worked, but I felt like it was lacking power and torque. I was using a new remote that arrived yesterday, however, and today I opened and repaired the original remote and will test ride it today to see if the cutting out persists.

I really would love a dual motor setup but if a single 6374 motor will provide comparable power, I may have to just go for that. Can you bolt a 6374 straight onto the stock motor plate ? I love the look and torque of dual motors but I never have ridden offroad, so I think a single motor/single wheel setup will be ok for my city riding because it was working well for me when I first installed the 60 cell pack, enoug power to go up any hill and minimal torque steer, if any. And honestly, I want to just get this setup going with minimal investment because I just found out about lacroix boards :star_struck: They look so sweet but I know if I get one ASAP then my poor Carbon will no longer be loved so I have to give her a decent fighting chance. What is the general consensus on the lacroix boards ?

1 Like

LaCroix is terrific, and our take on it with Surf Rodz and 13s is in finals, right now:

52574056_2055527254562813_4628935259923152896_n 52540420_2180604775329691_8569642945995603968_n

I will still keep this, however:

fullsizeoutput_2124 qQ69Q25bQpSlTKT0CYz7KQ

@BillGordon and @DAddYE are the pioneers on the eLofty drive (I bought the Metasurf that BAESK8 destroyed :slight_smile:) - and the eLofty drive is an axial drive that’s mounted on DKP trucks:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Skateboard-Accessories-Direct-Drive-Motor-Double-Trucks/153411663276?hash=item23b80c35ac:g:haUAAOSwVbhchndB

which work with these new wheels: TORQUEBOARDS_110MM_WHEELS_2_2048x2048 https:///collections/pre-order/products/110mm-really-big-wheels-tb110

I just ordered the eLofty drivetrain and TB 110 wheels for my Gen2 Carbon, and I have a feeling that it will be the first and last “Evolve” I ever actually like - even with the world’s fastest LaCroix right next to it.

The eLofty on the 110 mm should, by all accounts, deliver a perfectly quiet, zero-maintenance Gen2 with heavy thane that will stay put when turning at the bottom of a hill, and not shake loose on pavement-to-plate transitions.

We’ll see in a couple of weeks :slight_smile: good hunting

5 Likes

@AlexBE would you happen to have the file needed to print this spacer for the enclosure? I’ve tried search and have struck out. Thanks my brother

@topcloud I could badly use that spacer also :smiley:

1 Like

right on brother

ok, anyone wants to print & sell me a few of these for the gang, ready to buy just LMK :slight_smile:

Hey, I race drones also! BMS can do some subset of a bunch of things. Over voltage, under voltage, balancing etc. You probably have to make your own motor plate. It’s fairly easy, even with basic tools because aluminium is so soft. If you have a drill and a file you can do it with a piece of 6-10mm aluminium plate.

1 Like

The spacer is really simple, the idea being that you can print it in parts. Hopefully the boards are similar enough that this will fit, I had to do a fair amount of tweaking to get it snug. The parts have a little channel in the top to put some neoprene/rubber in for a watertight seal.

3 Likes

Sweet thanks for that file dude, I may be able to have a friend print it and be able to make a few copies so as i know I will let u guys know.

Topcloud, that lacroix looks beautiful man. What did you guys do to it ? I know a local guy who has one who says he will let me try his before I place my order, just to be sure. I think 40mph is plenty for me as it is haha. Thanks for the links as well, those direct drive trucks look pretty interesting. I know hub sucks, belt is good and is direct drive best ? It would seem like it, no drivetrain loss and ease of maintenance. That price is kind of steep ttough for such a low KV motor, do you know if their are any oter options ?

Alex thats so funny you fly drones too lol. I started FPV first then came to esk8, they are both more addictive then crack lol. First of all would a 6374 motor just bolt up to the stock motor mount ?? And how did you actuallly get the mount onto the truck ? Thanks for all the help so far my dudes

1 Like

thanks bud, hope you make it out sometime to roll with us

@Sender is the first to put Surf Rodz on the LaCroix, and our build is credited to him. Check out his posts for ‘build of the year’ and you’ll see why we voted his LaCroix Best in Show.

@psychotiller is our friend, one of the best indie builders in America and builder of my LaCroix 13. We’re sticking with Psychotiller motors, fat belts and Six Shooters, as pictured.

Brother Sender has since evolved his LaCroix to include a @3DServisas gearbox on their custom 240 mm Surf Rodz hangers, reverse-mount motors, OnStar 24/7 roadside assistance, etc.: https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/group-buy-fatboy-mini-urethane-gear-drive-fatboy-solid-cnc-hanger/73191/89?u=topcloud

@DerelictRobot’s LaCroix is the way to go if you want Trampa-style, fluid carving with the consistency that only springs can deliver https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/cascadia-carver-lacroix-prototipo-deck-trampa-ultimate-trucks-7-ss-kaly-nyc-4-1-gear-2x-flipsky-6-6-maytech-170kv-6374-sealed-hoyt-st-puck-10s6p-samsung-30q-pack/73770

LaCroix Factory is ok. Replace the plastic MBS base plates with MBS’ new metal base plates; there’s an entire thread here, on that topic. Hoyt Controller is always suggested. For wheels and tires, call me biased :slight_smile: yet there’s nothing that looks as good as Trampa CNC Superstars with Urban Tredz tires:

st80GErlQSKWkv19ncB29A

Absolutely, 100% recommend CNC wheels over the plastic factory MBS Rockstar 2 wheels - don’t get me wrong, MBS makes fine plastic wheels and they’re great for the trail, I own 5 sets of their wheels - yet CNC makes a meaningful difference on pavement by delivering always-consistent performance.

If I had to upgrade one thing only: easy, the plastic base plates. The plastic ones have broken on a few of us. Maybe write LaCroix and ask them to install them on yours, they’re good people.

Good hunting!

2 Likes

No I don’t think so. The mounting hole spacing is different. You will need to make (or buy) another mount. I just used 6mm aluminium plate. no doubt something off the shelf could be adapted to the evolve 3 hole pattern.

1 Like

Yea that is a good idea. What I was wondering was how did you get the second motor mount onto the truck ?

Lacroix does look pretty friggin sweet… How do you think it compares to the trampa Kaly board ? They seem very similar.

Every question you have about LaCroix vs Kaly can be answered by the members of NYC - and you can see the boards for yourself, first-hand.

They’re not comparable, in my opinion. The ride is completely different. Good hunting.

Hey thanks for that group link man, will definitely make me find some locals.

I have seen the Kaly board in person but it seemed a little narrow and I have pretty big feet so I am leaning more towards the lacroix.

1 Like

What size feet do you have

13 Wide

If you got some thoughts on the subject please share

1 Like

I’m going to put a deposit later on the Kaly xl 2.0, with the upgraded wings I think it should be perfect… will update after I test ride.