Evolve Carbon GT v.s Go Kart

Trust me, it’s definitely worth the watch! For those of you in need of clarification, this is not the stock Carbon GT you can buy on their site. I’ve talked with the people over at Evolve and they’ve given me some pretty cool information.

The board in the video will never be sold as it is far too powerful for the general public. But upon research and talking with the guys over at Evolve… here’s some info you might find interesting.

“We used the 1500w motors with custom controller and battery setting. We also made a number of other mods to get it able to go that fast!”

With that in mind, what do you guys think they could have done with the board to make it that fast. This proves that the motors on the GT series are more than capable. Obviously no one should attempt to make the board go 45 mph (70 km/h), but does this give you guys any ideas? I’d love to hear your guys’ thoughts.

Looks cool. Because it’s not and actual race and has a lot of edits to the video, it hard to say what mods they needed to do. If you were going to actually go full out for a lap, you would need more amps than the standard battery. Either a larger pack, lipos or some A123 26650s. Because it’s flat, to get that high speed, I think you could get away with just changing the gearing. Don’t need the torque for hill climbing, so you can trade off for top end.

Are these Ruroc helmets certified for the use on skateboards? I mean, the mouth gard is just plug and play. Why don’t they just get a TSG Pass instead ? Pure sponsorship hype?

2 Likes

I’m not 100% sure about why they use Ruroc helmets. They are definitely not built for a mouth-first fall onto concrete. I think they might either be sponsored by them (they never mentioned it) or they just think that Ruroc helmets look cool and add to the effect (more likely).

I personally use a Predator DH6 but Triple 8 Racer or TSG Pass are very good helmets as well.

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t really understand your first sentence. If you’re implying that the race isn’t real - the Evolve guys confirmed that the Race was real and that the Go Kart would’ve won if it had another 50 meters. Also, what kind of performance can you expect with A123 26650s, gearing mods and a new BMS/ESC? Range? Speed? I feel like electric skateboard racing could be a LOT of fun. Dangerous, but that could be ironed out as it gets more developed.

Ah okay, I’m at work, so watched without sound. It looked like a Top Gear (the TV show race) with all the fancy camera work and editing where you can never tell if the race is legit or not.

Anyways, in terms of performance, I personally have no idea as I’ve build my boards for more real world environment than a smooth track. But with 4wd and a big battery, I’m sure you can have a lot of fun. 26650’s have lots of amps (I think 70 or 80 continuous) but the capacity isn’t great. I think people say like a 12s1p in a boosted has trouble getting like 10km. So going full throttle, maybe you’ll get like 5km or less? If you build a decent size pack like a 12s4p maybe you get 20km? Tons of variables though of course.

That being said, I’ve been thinking about electric skateboard racing since I build my first one 2 years ago! Would be totally epic.

1 Like

There is a quick drag at the start. And then none of the rest is real. Great editing though. Looks cool.

Oh and marketing the board with a video and then not selling to public is a cop out. Pure hype.

4 Likes

Lol, that kart has major issues! Never seen a 13hp kart drive so slow!

3 Likes

Yes the kart looks more like 6.5 or 9 hp…

2 Likes

I mean they weren’t marketing the board. I don’t think they want anyone to own a board that goes 45 mph. Every time someone asked, they mentioned the ambulance in the back and stated that its extremely unsafe so its not going to be sold to the public.

Wow! I didn’t really know too much about Go Karts so maybe I was just being delusional. From my interactions with them, they were swearing up and down that it was real and that the Kart would’ve easily won if there was 10-15 more meters in the race. No offense as I might be wrong, but a lot of people reacted the same way when Tesla raced Lamborghini, Ferrari and others only to win in the drag races.

I thought the video made sense because of the torquey nature of electric motors and the insane acceleration they offer.

1 Like

I understand you hate Evolve but there’s no need to be so toxic about it. Even if the batter drained that fast - why does it matter? They are using the board strictly for racing purposes and not selling it to the public.

Its 13hp not 130. That’s pretty significant.

1 Like

I didn’t mean to delete that. UGH. Here was the basic jist of what I was saying there:

• I agree they should’ve made it much more clear it was a heavily modified GT.
  • But IMHO 12-15 miles on GT isn’t their fault. Cars and other boards do this too as Boosted says 7 miles but you’d be lucky to get 4 on pro mode. Same with cars that offer 35mpg but you’d get half that if you floor it.

If @onloop made a super fast record breaking board and made a video like that refering to it as a raptor and then sold a weaker version of it. this forum would crucify him. Just sayin.

It is what it is. Marketing hype.

PS. Don’t get me wrong I love the video its great. (And it will no doubt help them sell many boards)

3 Likes

Also i did a bit of research on the kart and its a sodi GT5 hire kart. Basicly a lawn mower engine. Not a proper race kart. I have driven these before acceleration is SLOW.

1 Like