Evolve Skateboards - New Board - GT Carbon!

open the hatch and show us inside the batteries

Evolves do use Lipo’s, can’t say anything about them catching fire though

2 Likes

Check out specs. Says 42V Lithium Ion Battery

Check the link

http://www.evolveskateboards.com.au/collections/gt-series/products/gt-carbon-series-street-electric-skateboard?variant=17912163013

I have NEVER heard of a evolve catching on fire.

1 Like

I could’ve swornnnnnnn they had LiPo on there before…either way, good news then I guess.

I’m pretty sure it is LiPo. Li-ion is just the technology. Lipo is Li-ion tech inside a polymer casing.

1 Like

I give up, I don’t care what they have inside. If it gets me to my destination without blowing up and lasts for at least 2 years I’m happy.

3 Likes

show us the damned insides

1 Like

1 Like

2 Likes

YAYYYYY top speed doubts crushed!!! :smiley:

2 Likes

What was the top speed again with 107mm wheels?

i don’t know that they have listed it. guessing would be faster again

1 Like

Following the logic with how wheel mm affects the top speed it would be 46kmh or 28.5mph with the 107mm…insane. The torque still looks solid with the 97…may have to go 107mm then for those insane runs.

2 Likes

Looks like I might have to buy one of those body armor jackets, demon united has a nice looking one, it’s not too hardcore looking like I’m about to jump on a dirt bike. I’m thinking about buying the kegel adapters as well, just to have more options. It will result in a slower top speed but the torque must be insane with 80mm orangatangs.

Considering the torque I saw from that clip, probably marginal from the stock wheels. I’d say stick with stock for torque and go with 107s if they work. I ordered some 97mm…I just might return them but I want someone else to confirm the 107mm will work first. I don’t think I really need them as 26mph is fine and the difference in torque between 97 and 107 will be a little more pronounced.

VOver on endless sphere you can’t find info about the fires. I don’t know where. You’ll have to search. I wouldnt make it up. There were at least two boards. There was a scandal I remember where one guy pulled down his post and retracted some statement or something and was rewarded or so it seemed. There was a discussion about why they had caught on fire and somethings about some wires being too big and if they’d been shorter they would’ve fused

Difference between lipo and li-ion I don’t know. Battery university say it’s the Same most don’t. There are different chemistries and at least some of the li-ion are much harder to catch fire. And they generally have greater energy density and lower discharge ability an last like 3 times as long.

All batteries have strengths and weaknesses. In my experience, any rechargeable lithium battery can vent to atmosphere if the conditions are right, and the possibility of fire with any high voltage/ current electronics device application is a no brainer. How high that possibility is- well we probably need statistics and studies, not forum posts as references (not saying it didn’t happen- statistically speaking I believe it probably has).

Back to strengths and weaknesses- if you select a cheaper battery with a shorter shelf or cycle life, economically is it better or worse? Depends on cost/ range analysis. If you fit a larger battery system in a smaller form factor, and it goes further than an alternative on each charge, but has less cycles available- again it may or may not be better. Eg, You can go 12 km 2000 times, or you can go 30 km 800 times, at the same cost, then its arguably the same outcome. How you actually use the board though, and your charging habits, with alter the perception of economy one way or the other.

In my experience (not with skateboards but with military radio systems) the environment makes a massive difference in any battery performance. Some chemistries are more resistant than others, but they are all affected. Very cold weather absolutely kills performance. Extremely hot weather and direct sunlight drastically increases the chances of venting and/or fire. I think the different perceptions people have will be heavily guided by the location you are in. I never see snow, and so my experience with battery life and range will be vastly different to someone who does, when comparing the exact same chemistry.

People who are new to e-boards scour these forums long after they have been written. Posting assumptions dressed up as facts about batteries in general undermines the process of learning from each other. Also, arguing on one consideration alone about why one battery solution is better than the other is a bit asinine. Argue based on a complete assessment of life vs cost vs form factor vs cycles vs charging costs vs environmental performance preferences vs portability (air vs land only), versus safety record, and if possible clarify facts vs assumptions. Otherwise this is a bit of a wasted discussion because we go around in circles.

3 Likes

I agree 100%