First and cheap build

Cool build. I really like the enclosure, lol.
Not all boards need to go +30mph, esk8s for everyone!

1 Like

It’s alive!

Thanks to @Dirt_Bag for the custom built 6s4p pack.

Not on the road yet, as nothing is mounted. Just bench tested it. Son trying to coax me into just duct taping everything to the deck for a road test…I remember someone here running over their parts when doing the same thing, lol, so I’ll just wait.

Working on Velcro straps for the battery. May mount the ESC to the enclosure and vent the bottom for heat release. Not gonna ride in rain or puddles anyway.

1 Like

Glad i could help. I look forward to seeing a complete photo!

Final assembly:

image image image

Done!

Everything fits the enclosure perfectly. Thanks again to @Dirt_Bag for the custom battery pack to the exact size I needed.

And thanks again to @kuphjr for the free “junk” motor. Runs strong, sounds good.

Ummm…speed is addictive. Glad I went for the 6s. I’m 52 and still stupid, lol.

Batteries were at 20.8 but I couldn’t resist going up & down the driveway twice. Hope I didn’t mess up the batts already. What should be my lowest voltage before stopping, 3.7 per cell x 6 = 22.2v?

Do I charge to 4.2v per cell x 6 = 25.2?

That ESC got warm fast. Glad I gave it exposure to air. May find some cooling fins for it for longevity. Any advice?

image image image image

2 Likes

Hi! Just for curiosity what cells did you use for that 6S4P?

chrome

Are these really ultrafire SV18650’s?

1 Like

No, that pack is made with sony vtc5 cells. I labeled it that way to make it easier to ship. I only use brand name reputable cells

1 Like

Absolute low voltage is 19.2v

Draining to that level is ok a few times

Safe cutoff voltage is 3.4 i believe, i will edit this post if im wrong.

My son added up all the receipts, down to each screw. $437.01 total spend. I’m pleased. I did the best I could with the “you-get-what-you-pay-for” price. Hopefully it’ll give me some utility and enjoyment.

Already thinking about another build! Next time, I’ll custom build less and just buy more ready-to-assemble parts. Custom building was very satisfying, but took me from April 25 to today and many hours in the garage (and waiting on shipping).

One more thing - I hate using Loctite on accessible hardware. I like marking and locking visible fasteners with paint (nail polish). I’ll find out pretty quickly how useless that is…

2 Likes

loctite blue (the temp stuff) is all you need and a good set of hex wrenches. I can’t stress enough how important good wrench are. I’ve ruined wayyy too much stuff by stripping the bolts.

To all you DIYers, buy these and you won’t regret it.

https://www.amazon.com/Wera-05073593001-Multicolor-Metric-Blacklaser/dp/B009ODV0OE/ref=asc_df_B009ODV0OE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309813767497&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7906311733944806773&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019667&hvtargid=pla-421878999738&psc=1

1 Like

So the motor-to-mount screws held solid with nail polish, and I can see if they’d moved.

I ended up using blue Loctite for the mount-to-truck bolts, as the nail polish wasn’t enough there.

I also used Loctite now for the motor pulley screws. The nail polish in the female threads did a fine job slowing the loosening, but of course wasn’t enough to lock them in place.

Carburetor cleaner or acetone does a good job of cleaning the old Loctite or nail polish out.

Man, the road is harsh with vibration and causes all kinds of havoc. But you experts already knew that.

Love this thing. Something about riding your own unique creation.

I have about 5 miles on this thing and haven’t recharged it yet (down to 23.3v; it seems like it’s plateaued at 23.3v and sits there rock steady for the last couple miles or so).

Sorry for the random thoughts. Just pumped up.