First Build, Guidance Please! 12S, 149kv 6374, Street/All-Terrain hybrid

Well on the diagram that you had pointed to the charge port is coming off the pos lead and the P lead coming from the bms. The loop key would be on the pos lead between you battery/bms and your vesc

Okay, I think I have it (and thanks for all the help!): BMS%20Battery%20Wiring%20(1)

1 Like

Yep that looks good to me

Now I’ve acquired a pair of Flipsky VESC 6.6 controllers from another user on the forum and I’m reconfiguring some of the wiring since they have built in anti-spark and an on/off switch. I can just completely remove the loop key and route straight through like this, right?

BMS%20Battery%20Wiring%20(1)

1 Like

Not hearing the best about flipsky anti spark switch, if I was going to use one I would still have a loop key as backup

I was actually planning on using my two XT90 anti spark connectors I already bought for the loop key to connect to my VESCs anyway, so that should add another layer of protection.

I’ve just revised my schematic for the last time (hopefully) including the individual BMS wiring.

Paging @Namasaki, please give this a look over if you have a chance!

BMS

The Red balance wire is always the last cell in series, NOT the first.

Cell 1 is always next to the ground wire

In this case

Black…ground Blue…cell 1, 5, 9 Green…cell 2, 6, 10 Yellow…cell 3, 7, 11 Red…cell 4, 8, 12

4 Likes

Thank you! I was wiring last night and ended up figuring that out by reading each cell with a multimeter as I wired it up. Am I correct that when everything is wired up cell 1 on the BMS should be ~3.7v and cell 12 should be at ~44.4v (with 2-11 being the 3.7v steps in between)?

Yes, balance pin 1 should be the voltage of 1 cell and each pin from 1-12 adds the voltage of 1 cell For example

1-3v 2-6v 3-9v 4-12v Etc.

1 Like

Perfect! I think I’ve got the BMS wiring down! I’ll make sure to check all those voltages with my multimeter. One end on what will be the B- from the batteries and the other end on each BMS pin 1-12 to verify the voltage adds up from 1 @ 3.7v to 12 @ 44.4v.

BMS (Note that the colors of the balance leads on the illustration are not real-world accurate)

I plugged it all in for the first time and was able to run one motor successfully. Now time to charge!

IMG_20190204_190241

I’m currently running into some issues getting my board running. I have everything wired up, I’ve charged the batteries successfully using the BMS, and I’ve programmed one of my FSESC 6.6 including motor and receiver setup running 60A/-20A on the motor and 60A/-15A on the battery.

My board will spin the wheel pretty quickly when upside down on the floor, but if I flip it over and try it only goes about 2-3mph and if I stand on top it won’t even move. What might I be missing? I’ve tried reading the live stats in VESC tool and there are no error codes showing up. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

are all your phase wires connected? u should check the connection between batteries and vesc as well

I checked my batteries with a multi-meter and I have full voltage at the connector that plugs into the VESC. As for the phase wires, I crimped bullet connectors onto the VESC that hook up with the bullet connectors that came on the motors and they seem pretty solid, but I’ll double check those.

soldering would be the best if you can

1 Like

The bullets on the motor side came pre-installed with no extra lead, but I was able to get it all working. One of the capacitors on my ESC didn’t have a solid joint. I re-soldered that and it works now!

1 Like

First shakedown cruise (on one motor) complete!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gwSaFn1CDyc34KqY9