First Build, Guidance Please! 12S, 149kv 6374, Street/All-Terrain hybrid

Hey, everyone! I’m looking to build a semi all-terrain board and I’m looking for some guidance. Here’s what I’m looking at:

Deck: I’m open to suggestions, but this seems like a good price for a decent board and I can pick it up at the local zumiez. Arbor Axis 40" https://www.zumiez.com/arbor-axis-40-jon-pc-40-drop-through-longboard-deck.html (PURCHASED)

Trucks: Torqueboard 218mm trucks (PURCHASED)

Motor Mount: Caliber motor mounts and motor pulleys from @dickyho (PURCHASED)

Wheels: ABEC 11 flywheels 97mm and a pulley set up for them from @dickyho (PURCHASED)

Wheels2: I was hoping I could get the Torqueboard pneumatics by now, but I may have to go with modding for an Evolve All terrain kit. or the cheap ass 6x2 set up (I have a 3D printer) Guidance on this would be much appreciated!

Motors: 2x Turnigy Aerodrive SK8 6374 149kv with 15T pulley (PURCHASED)

Batteries: 6x 5200MAH 4S 12C LiPos from Hobby King (PURCHASED)

ESC: Looking at doing 2x 4.12 VESCs from DIY, will these be sufficient?

I would love a recommendation or some guidance on a charger and how to wire the batteries correctly for charging and safety!

Thanks!

One thing I’ll mention, off road mountain boards like 35 degree angled noses (or an angled wedge to offset it). Longboarders generally like flat to 15 degrees. I ride a bit of an all terrain board and find that a 15° wedge suits me fine for road and some grass. If you’re taking on woods paths look for 25 to 35 degrees. Good looking deck though!

12c is a very low discharge rate even for a 2p pack.

However I you already ordered it you work with what u have. Just if u ever plan on doin about her build try getting batteries with a higher c number

Also you could use a charge only bms like the bestech d140 and then use a regular laptop style charger. If you plan on using a balance charger there are a few threads on how to wire them up properly for discharge and charging

It will mostly be ridden on sidewalks, grass, and some gravel roads. Do you have a recommendation of a deck other than the one linked?

If I want to change the batteries or possibly add another set in parallel in the future, will the BMS or balance charger be more upgrade-able?

Shouldn’t be an issue. You can use that deck and angled riser blocks to get whatever setup you like.

You should be fine with that deck. What I would suggest is getting the Evolve trucks or the Surf Rods from @psychotiller with his mounts. But since you purchased the trucks and mounts you are all ready probably going to have to sell them or keep them for the next build. I’m not sure the motor mounts would give you enough clearance. You probably should have asked about some parts before purchasing allmost all of them. If you are doing Lipo’s I would get atlease another 6 so you have a 12s4p setup as it will get you more range and less sag. The balance charger would not be upgradeable but would be the easiest way to charge the batteries you purchased without wiring up a bms.

I may be able to cancel the Torque trucks as they were purchased last night. Would you say Evolve or psychotiller trucks would be more affordable?

Go with @psychotiller. Everybody raves about how awesome they are. I’m quite jealous of them

1 Like

Are these correct?

1 Like

Those are the tkp which you could go with or you could go with the rpk I would not use the drop through though for the tkp. As for affordable the evolve would be more affordable as they are basically cast gullwing siderwinders and have the 8mm axel which is what most standard bearings are the surfrodz are 10mm axels and are precision trucks so they are worlds better.

1 Like

Here is the difference

Also just noticed you’re from sarasota. I have a bunch of family down there in Bradenton.

Okay, thanks for that link. Sadly, it looks like the RKP is out of stock.

Would it not be recommended to machine the torque trucks down to 10mm at the start of the axle to accommodate the evolve wheels? I have a mill and lathe and intended to replicate LHB’s process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6V4nBUFeYk&t=11s

I could still use the same bms u would just have to rewire it adding to new packs u would add in parallel

Got it, I think I’ll go with a 12s bestech d140 since the BMS seems to be the best way to do it. With that I’ll need a laptop charger and an on off switch, right?

And I how would wiring differ with a 12s2p (with the 6x 4s batteries I have ordered) versus this 10s1p?

EDIT: I just found the 12s2p diagram here, this should be the same as my setup, right?

Yep should be for the most part just remember they used 6s batteries and not 4s. Hobby king has series and parallel connectors that you will need amazon probably has them as well or you can make them if you are comfortable with doing that.

Do you mind giving this wiring diagram a look over? I know it’s not quite right. After looking at the bestech D140 here, I’m not sure I understand where in the circuit charging is supposed to take place. In the diagram Black is negative, Red is positive, and Green are the 4 wires for balancing (spliced together) from each pair of batteries in parallel. BMS%20Battery%20Wiring

Where is the charge port and the loop key way it is now you wouldnt have anything to power on or off the board and it would be a one charge board

As I said, I’m not sure where in the circuit the charge port is supposed to go, and I completely forgot about a way to turn it off. Where should these items be placed?