First Build: Vanguard | Dual TB 6355 190KV | TB VESC | 10S4P LG HG2 | Alien mounts | Paris 195mm | Alien remote

Well If I was using the bulk price, the Basen cells would be discounted as well :slight_smile:. Yes, I understand that cell for cell the Basen cells way more however, you will need less of them to get a similar pack to the HG2 cells. I also like the fact that by needing less of them, you take up less room in your enclosure. If weight is that big of an issue though, by all means go for the HG2 or 30Q, I was just trying to bring a new idea into the mix :slight_smile:.

I used the discounted price for both. Those things are way larger than 18650 cells, hence the name 26650. I will not fit nearly as much energy into the same enclosure. Look at this: So as I said: they are good if you want high discharge with few cells. Apart from that they are outperformed by the 18650 in energy/weight and energy/space. Energy/$$ is the same.

The capacity and voltage sag differences are negligible. However, for the same performance the 30Q is generally cheaper than the HG2.

1 Like

Can you recommend a vendor? What I found so far was about 5$/cell for either, unless it was a vendor that doesn’t really seem trustworthy. I’ve read a lot about fake HG2 and 30Q cells. Looking at the discharge curves it seems that the higher Amp rating for HG2 is kind of arbitrary compared to 30Q… Well, and the 80 Amp would really only be drawn for a short time…

i used hg2 in pretty much all my builds with equal or less than 40 cells and even down to 30cells, they sag little to no! very happy with hg2!

@mathias the flex2 might be too soft for 90kg, its probably borderline even for my taste for soft boards! about stability: i go 50kph all the time with my flex2 vanguard and my even softer diy bamboo deck - never ever had speed wobble, but im also running cast ronins which i like a million times better than paris (which I like even less than calibers)!

@whitepony Thanks for the feedback! I guess I’ll switch to Flex 1! About the trucks: yeah, I read all your build threads and noticed a slight preference for cronins :wink:. I considered getting them but got scared off by the need for the DIY mount adapter and the extended axle to fit 15mm belts + dual 6355 on them…

I know that that Flywheel clones are cheap and clones come in different colors, but they typically have really bad urethane and no chemical bond with the core. They also represent a slap in the face to me and my company who designed the first series of Flywheels and Flywheel Cores back in the year 2000. We did all of the design work, testing, racing, tooling, marketing, and advertising, and the Chinese just knocked us off without having to do any of the heavy lifting. Argh. But I’m not here to whine about the clones, I’m here to let you know that there will be a number of “non-green” Flywheels made right here in the USA in both our Classic and Reflex formulas. We’ve started to co-brand genuine Abec 11 Flywheels. Metroboard is doing red wheels with black cores (and possibly black wheels in the future), Carvon will be doing blue on black, and soon Evolve and others will be bringing out even more colors.

Perhaps even more exciting, Abec 11 is planning on making some new wider “SuperFly” wheels in our exclusive 74a Reflex Formula urethane, They’ll be lime green on orange cores, but other companies may co-brand them in other colors as well. The sizes will include 83mm, 90mm, 97mm and 107mm, and the inside edge will be 100% compatible with all existing flywheel pulley adapters. SuperFly’s are wider to the outside and therefore “offest” instead of centerset. They are a bit like our popular HD wheels, but with the Flywheel core. They have a much wider contact patch and a more flexible outside lip than the “Classic” Flywheels. I want to also provide 32T, 34T, 36T, 38T, and 40T wheel pulleys that you can slip into OR bolt into Flywheels with or without a pulley bearing. We’ll be testing these out in a 71a durometer to see how the hold up. The 74a is already butter smooth, but we need to know how soft Reflex can go.

I’d encourage all the eSk8 companies to co-brand some Abec 11 Flywheels in order to get great urethane in more colors out there. I’ll do everything that I can to support the electric skateboard industry with wheels, trucks, bushings, bearings, pulleys, and motor mounts - the mechanical side of things.

Sincerely,

Chris Chaput Abec 11 Genuine Flywheels, proudly made in Huntington Beach, CA *** USA ***

12 Likes

Ok, thanks for the info :slight_smile:.

That’s not true. The king right now is VTC6. HG2 are also “better” than 30Q because they can withstand even higher currents. The reason to use 30Q over HG2 is their price.

pardon me then :slight_smile: I’ve somehow gotten the idea that they were the go to 18650 recently.

They are - but only because we are all cheap bastards :wink:

Since my job is basically testing batteries all day on high end equipment and engineering battery packs, I figured I could give some input on the HG2 vs 30Q vs VTC6 vs Basen argument. Note the links I post will be to our website, hopefully that’s OK.

Since the end of 2016 HG2’s have been worse after LG Chem retooled manufacturing, so you have to be careful of the results you look at and when they were tested. Despite LG’s higher 20A rating, the 15A 30Q and VTC6 perform better at both 15 and 20A. HG2 is still an awesome battery but it’s outshined by the 30Q and VTC6 now after the HG2 changes. The VTC6 is the absolute best of the bunch, but pricing is high on them. Personally I recommend the 30Q to most people as it’s very close to as good as the VTC6 but at a much lower price.

Here’s a link to all the batteries above since this forum will only let me put two links in here, remember that all of these get quantity discounts for buying in bulk: 3000mAh high discharge batteries

As for the Basen 4500mAh, it’s a great 26650 but it’s a little affected by what I call “Chinese Ratings Syndrome”. Really it shouldn’t be used above 25A or so, and if you’re using it at high current it’s closer to 4200-4300mAh. If you absolutely want a 26650, the iJoy 26650 is the way to go as it can comfortably go to 30A. It’s phenomenal. But even that I think the 30Q is usually going to be better on both a performance/weight perspective, a performance/size perspective, and a performance/cost perspective.

In summary, if you want the best of the best, go with the VTC6. If you want very close to that at a much lower price, go 30Q. I wouldn’t recommend going 26650 at this time unless you have a really good reason to.

11 Likes

OK thank you, that is really helpful! I guess I’ll change my plan to 30Q…

I would be interested in your opinion of the new 20700 sized battery.

New 20700’s are awesome. Unfortunately the two really good ones, the 20700A and the Samsung 21700, are impossible to get at the moment. We do have the iJoy 20700 3000mAh and the Panasonic NCR20700B 4000mAh which are both very solid cells. The iJoy would be the better one for this application, the NCR20700B is more of a high capacity long lasting cell so it’s more at home doing 8A or less with quick bursts up to maybe 15A. The iJoy can do 30A with no problem. Actually if you have the little bit of extra room and the extra budget for it using iJoy 20700s in place of 18650s would be pretty cool. Probably not worth the cost though.

@ChrisChaput Very exciting stuff! Can’t wait to see what you guys offer in the future. With the scarcity of the highly praised 75A’s it’s encouraging to see that you’re looking at doing even softer durometers! Can’t wait for the 71A :wink:

@jon-liionwholesale That pretty much confirms what we’ve seen in past discharge tests comparing the 30Q and HG2. Even with the lower rating of the 30Q it consistently outperformed the HG2 in voltage sag and at a lower price!

Wow thanks for this info! I always went with hg2 before.

One question. Why is the 30q rated at 15A if it can do 20A comfortably?

Discharge ratings are up to the discretion of the manufacturer. On this one LG just decided to be more aggressive than Samsung did, that’s all.

1 Like

Do you have any data on the actual difference between the old HG2’s and the new or is this just observation?

Yes, I have data supporting it. I’ll put that on the list for potential blog posts in the future but it would be a lot of effort to put it together and publish.