Finally getting around to doing a build thread. Looking back, I think it would have been beneficial to start the thread before I actually started the build. Who has time to do a build thread once the ESK8 is done? All I want to do is RIDE!!! It’s not like I didn’t have time while waiting fort all the parts… Well, actually I had not as much as you’d think, being a new dad just a month prior to deciding to get into this crazy and most satisfying habit. Well, it’s raining this week, so what better time to throw this down?
First off, this forum is amazing. What a wealth of knowledge and people looking to help those wanting to get into this, and people passionately innovating and progressing this movement forward simply for the love of it! It took me about 2 months to gather, learn, and communicate before I had enough knowledge and parts to make this happen. A big THANK YOU to all those who were willing to answer my noob like questions and patiently guide me through this. As well as all those who sold me parts for fair market value, and got me on the road.
Lets start with the board. 2011 COMET Voodoo XL. This stick is a BEAST! I didn’t weigh it, but it was by far the heaviest of my quiver. Did a custom grip job because otherwise I couldn’t give it a wicked name. Chose WAEPON X because that was the name of Wolverine (or at least the experiment that created Wolverine), and he’s a bitchin’ Canadian Superhero, and so’s this board.
Affixed to the bottom is some black Caliber 50’s, 83 MM 75a Abec 11 Flywheels with some nice Red’s Bones Bearings. Nothing too flashy, but the bearings might eventually receive an update. Used Enertion’s motor mount.
Was able to source a Kaly 190 KV 6374 Sensored Motor from a gent in Vancouver along with the Nano X V2 remote for a decent Price. Bought a FOCBOX from @yummyblobs with ease. Never tried anything else, but so far really happy with this VESC. Have it set up in FOC and it’s been ridiculously smooth.
The coolest part of this build IMO is the battery pack. This was designed and built to spec by a whiz who happens to live in the same city as myself. Big thanks to @RootedSuperuser. He happens to have a module from a D90 Tesla Vehicle and makes custom packs for Electric vehicles. His DIY E-bike is ridiculous. I met with him about a week into trying to figure out this build. He guided me into making some pretty sweet decisions that most first time builders would perhaps overlook. Like the benefits of having a good quality BMS. This build has a Bestech 10s BMS. Another ‘parts for sale’ purchase. And I’m glad because I want this pack to last, and last and last. Which it should because these cells are rated for 2000 charges! These cells are pretty much the same as SANYO NCR18650GA cells. Some more info:
We met a few times and he gave me a lot of homework and through that I was able to learn a lot more about what was all involved with the process of building a full ESK8.
Some battery porn:
This was some teaser pics he was sending while building the pack.
Completed pack. So so so many more pics available. Let’s just say he did a phenomenal job and I couldn’t be more happy with the end product. These pics just don’t do the battery justice. All this was encased in an @Eboosted enclosure which fit everything perfect.
Once all was set up and attached, it was just a matter of throwing on some cheap lights, and programming the VESC. Big thanks to @i2oadsweepei2 for spending some time with me on the phone to get this thing in the initial stages of road worthy.
Ran perfectly first try. Obviously due to all the help I had and access to way bigger brains than mine. Have since got it tweaked, but nothing really messed up yet. So. Damn. Much. Fun.
More pics and info to follow. It’s late and I must sleep now…
Some enclosure pics as requested by @eboosted.
Update: So my board is experience it’s first booboo. Wasn’t charging properly and when riding felt like it was sort of lagging even on flats. Then I’d get undervoltage errors and the BMS would cut out the power. Removed the BMS and charged battery to 90%. Checked voltages on the balance wires. Group 1 batteries came in at 4.31V! I think that’s bad. Pack is currently receiving surgery. I think it might be my fault. Battery Regen is too high. Gotta adjust.