First Build - What Would You Do Differently?

Can you explain this choice? I know these would be great for improved stability and possible easier mounting of the motor… any other reasons ? (other than that it might influence turning radious in a bit not so good way)

1 Like

Ask yourself now if you’ll want an eMountainboard in the future, and double or triple your budget accordingly, or start planning for components that can be swapped over or reused. I am just finishing my first eMTB build and can already see where this is heading…mo’ $$$. It seems like eMTB’s are the natural next step for a lot of folks in the DIY scene, and it only gets more expensive. And more fun!

1 Like

i doubt I’ll ever make a mountain board but it’d like to try one

I like wide trucks for the stability maybe at higher speeds. Seems more appropriate. Paris 195. There’s some other longer ones forget the name. Much longer. I’ve never tried them.

2 Likes

measure twice, drill once…in that order

4 Likes

Side topic - how far have you got already?

I think a very important decision is the right wheel size, right deck and right bushings (if you decide to go with the cheap skate trucks)… it will definately influence the looks, the ride and many other aspects of it…

Dont know if I told you in a message but the next one I do will be with much smaller - lighter wheels, shorter - stiffer deck… AND I still got to figure out how to make it more maneuvrable without going with springs trucks as I only got skate trucks and dont want to make the board tall as a skyscraper… (with risers)… only to make it more turny / agile…

Been already looking at some solutions… seen some people make crazy boards with tilting wheels (baja board, 3 wheeled - tilt board)… though it seems a little bit outstretched for now, to make a custom steering mechanism… Ideal scenario would be for the board to be turny in the low-mid speed range and less turny when going fast…

Some sort of pivot mechanism besides the bushing/ kingpin would be great (at least for the front wheels - axle)

1 Like

Im with you on this one 100% I want to use wider trucks, not standard width longboard trucks.

3 Likes

That’s great advice. I agree with the longer trucks for better stability as speed increases. However, I’ve noticed many of the motor mounts in the market fit on trucks that have a bit of a flat spot instead of of a complete round axle. I hope that makes sense. So, for a motor mount to fit on the axle of the truck do you need a custom motor mount or are there mounts in the market that fit?

Would have gone straight from the start with vesc, li-ion, bms instead of hk esc, lipo and b6 charger. Would also not buy a prebuilt deck and try to use that rather than get a deck and caliber trucks.

2 Likes

I’ve been hearing a lot of first builders that regret normal escs and lipos. I’m definitly going vesc as it seems to be built from the ground up to support eskaters. And, I’m slowly turning to li-ion as there’s so much baby sitting with Lipos :frowning:

Thanks for the response brotha and look forward to getting to know you in future threads!

Hobbywing Max 6 is a good esc, runs up to 8s. Little chance of frying it due to mis-configuration or firmware issues.

Check out this god like build on endless sphere with Hobbywing Max6 and Lipos

I’m using one on this build I’ve used vesc, FVT esc and this Max 6. I fried the FVT and one vesc. One FVT turned up bricked and I had to get a replacement. Have 2 vescs running well and the max 6 seems bulletproof

1 Like

Dude! That’s amazing! 8s was enough for your board?

once you get on a eMTB, it’s almost impossible to go back to longboard. if it wasn’t for potability purposes, i would’ve sold my elongboards. just way more fun with eMTB. you’re not limited to pave trails. so glad i did my emtb as my 2nd build intead of 4th or something.

3 Likes

thats Jens - he does amazing stuff alright. The board I have with the max6 is running 6s at the moment. Up to 27km/hr Depending on what battery you run you select your motor to suit. Thats running with a 230kv motor - thats 230 revolutions per volt. check out this calculator for board speeds.Electric skateboard calculator

1 Like

Man, I haven’t even built my elongboard yet and the vid still of the mtboard are making my wallet warm up, hahaha appreciate you guys sharing!

Thanks brotha! I’ve seen this in the past but didn’t an understanding. After more research I do understand. Now, is there a sweet spot ratio that I should aim for? Also, is there such a thing is a sweet spot rpm? Anyhow I’ve attached the screenshot of my numbers. If you have a moment I’d appreciate your perspective! Thanks again.

Sweet spot for the motor is roughly 80% of ur max rpm based on voltage x kv. Motor will be more efficient and run cooler Better to probably just figure what max speed u want

2 Likes

Ahh, gotcha. Okay back to the drawing board. Appreciate the perspective :+1:t4:!

You should definitly edit or delete your post as there are some faults in it. For example, lipos and liion batteries both have a full charge voltage of 4.2 volts per cell. So you cannot say lipos are more power dense from that point.

Is funny that you said that. In my native country skating is a religion. Every child grows wanting a pair of inline skates. Now my 11-year-old daughter is going to attend inline skating classes at high school.

2 Likes

Man, I’m so glad that you responded to this in the way you did. I do have to admit that when talking about Rollerblading I’m a bit embarrassed as it’s not as popular. However, I know aggressive rollerblading is huge in Japan and that are some people that are still fans like me :slight_smile: Are we some day gunna have electric rollerblades from you, LOL :joy: