First build - Xenith, LLT BMS how to bypass for discharge?

This is my first post, my apologies if this was already answered but I’ve already searched and while I found similar posts, different components were used and I’m still little bit confused.

This is my first ESK8 project, it’s actually an upgrade on exisiting Evolve GT Carbon. new components to be used :

• 10S4P battery
  • Xenith V2 ESC
  • 20A LLT BMS
  • 2x 6374 170kv Maytech motors with 18T pulley
  • 2x Radium Performance 63xx motor mounts
  • 2x 415-15mm belts
  • VX2 Pro Remote & Receiver
  • existing 7" offroad tires/wheels with 66T pulley

My questions :

1. is the wiring diagram (bellow) correct to bypass BMS for discharge ? I’m only not sure whether there needs to be an additional negative wire from the battery to the “B-” on the BMS, I’m thinking the battery is already connected via balance lead negative wire to the BMS, so do I still need to run an additional wire ?

2. is the battery still getting charged with regenerative braking with this setup and if so how is battery protected when say fully charged and I start my ride downhill while braking, where is the excess charge going without overcharging the battery ?

3. as the battery gets discharged while riding and then say I’m at 50% battery going downhill and assuming the battery is getting charged by regenerative braking, how do the cells get balanced or do they get balanced while on a ride ?

4. the Xenith ESC comes with it’s own power switch wired straight to the unit, I note many people build their boards with anti-spark switches which I assume this one is not, is that a potential issue ?

5. is the VESC Tool 3.0 for Mac all I ever need to configure the Xenith ESCs once installed ?

proposed wiring :

LLT BMS :

Xenith V2 ESC :

1 Like

Hey Booz! Welcome to the ESK8 forum. Wow I sure could use some booze, but its only monday. Gotta wait for the weekend. :crazy_face:

Pretty sure your battery negative needs to connect to the B- port on the BMS and the C- goes to the negative lead on your charging adaptor. I doubt it charges thru the small balance wires. And dont worry about regen overcharging you pack unless you’re always going downhill for some odd reason. It doesnt put that much energy back into the pack. Keep in mind that the BMS is still connected thru the balance leads even during discharge so it should burn off any excess charge as heat thru resistors.

For question #3 I’m not sure if that BMS is always balancing. I would guess that it isnt but it shouldnt be an issue. Most BMSs do top balancing where extra current is converted to heat to keep cells from overcharging. I’m not familiar with that particular unit though. And for #5 I dont have an answer either. Fairly new here myself.

Since that ESC has its own power switch, just look and listen for any sparks when you connect the battery and turn it on. If it does spark when you connect the battery or turn it on via the switch, then yes a loop key with an XT90 anti spark connector would be your best bet.

1 Like

@kavic5150 once I have the BMS in my hands I’m going to check with multimeter whether there is continuity between balance lead Battery cell 0 ground and the “B-” port, if not then I’ll just run the extra wire.

obviously I don’t travel downhill all the time, but first 100m out of my driveway it’s downhill about 30 degrees so I didn’t want the fully charged battery to explode before I even start my ride :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thats a good idea. Sounds like its time for a before and after check of your batteries. Charge all of your cells to a fixed amount, say 4.1v each then roll for that 100 meters with different levels of regen and see what your ending voltages are.

1 Like

@kavic5150 ok so my build is finished and I tested the downhill driveway getting out of the house, since I have that smart BMS I can monitor in realtime all cells. if I fully charge the battery previous evening, by next morning all cells start at around 4.17V, as I’m driving down the driveway while braking for the first 100m, by the time I get down my cells get to about 4.18V, so I think it’s fairly safe.

1 Like

just to conclude this topic, in the end I had to run the additional negative wire from the battery to the “B-” so the final corrected diagram is like so :

2 Likes

Hi quys, didnt want to start a new thread just for that question but does anybody else have difficulty ordering viable bms and charger for diy battery pack? Im from europe and ordering from llt. 12s li ion

My problem is just that the site loos very sketchy: https://www.lithiumbatterypcb.com/ This is the addres also when im selecting 54v while choosing the option it shows 10s in the cart. I will be doing a complete thread of the build to mby help others like me. I know all of this information is out there but i think that there should be more. I’ve spent soo much time on reasearch just because it’s so hard to find up-to-date advice. So for now some info in a nutshell to verify by some1 with more experience:

BMS:
-sufficient amps for charge only (around 15a)
-correct value of series connections (ex. 10s 12s)
12s 20amp example link: (chose from the drop down 12s 20a li ion)
11S 12S 13S 14S 15S 36V 48V 58.8V 60V smart BMS with Bluetooth function UART communication 20A to 60A constant current – LLT POWER ELECTRONIC

Charger:
-voltage based on amount of s connections (12s → 50.4v 10s ->42v)
Can it be higher tho if i have a bms? there is a big jump in options on llt site. from 42 to straight to 54.6volts skipping 12s option. Can i choose the 54.6volt option and the bms will cut the power once battery is at 50.4? If not has somebody have another option from europe?
240W 10S li-ion 42V 5A 18650 lithium battery charger 36V electric bike li po battery charger for 10S rechargeable battery pack – LLT POWER ELECTRONIC

should i just order from aliexpress?
strong text