Florida: give electric skateboards the same rights as bicycles

I’m starting a petition in Florida to explicitly allow electric skateboards anywhere a bicycle is allowed.

The argument is that electric skateboards provide a smaller footprint and the same or similar speed capabilities as a bicycle while paving the way for more personal electric vehicle alternatives for commuting and short distance travel in an age where fossil fuels are waning and people are looking for more environmentally responsible and enjoyable forms for transportation.

The petition is here:

and i also have a shortlink that redirects to that as well: esk8.me/petition

I would encourage you to start one in your state if you don’t already have laws on the books regarding these things. My objective is to get ahead of it so that we have good laws instead of knee-jerk reaction laws to some kid doing something stupid and getting himself killed involving an esk8.

12 Likes

It looks really good. I would change “paved trails are accessible.” to paved access or paves pathways, trails sounds like Park and you may not want to allude to that. I have co-workers in Naples and Miami, I could get them to sign it when you are ready.

2 Likes

good point. Revising now.

1 Like

Looks perfect to me! Where do I sign?

1 Like

Sweet I also live in Florida

1 Like

I think i’ve re-read it enough. @mmaner had a good point so i revised based on his thoughts but i think that was the only potential issue.

Here’s the link:

1 Like

Looks good, I like it. Ill send to people I know if FL.

1 Like

@longhairedboy any tips you wanna give people that want to start their own petition?

1 Like

I’ll be reposting this around for you @longhairedboy

Please also post via iG

2 Likes

Signed. Forward to Casey and there will be a bunch more signatures.

2 Likes

Be clear, articulate, and direct. And brief. It was hard for me not to ramble on but instead to stay to the point while trying to relate it to a common concern that people can get behind even if they don’t have any interest in skateboards or esk8s.

i just made this shortlink:

I’m about to update my original post with better info.

1 Like

:facepunch:t2:Signed (#31) and reposted on Esk8 FB users page and Evolve

2 Likes

Send it to boosted as well if anyone has their email address or can send to their facebook profile

2 Likes
2 Likes

Signed from Miami Fl, im going to share this on my facebook.

2 Likes

Even if I signed the petition, would it not be better if the majority of people who signed this were from Florida? This is trying to win over the hearts and mind of the Floridians.

Aren’t ebikes limited to 250W where you live? And only legal with pedal assistance no direct throttle? At least thats the case in most EU.

ebikes are allowed anywhere bicycles are, thier restriction while on paper are essentially unenforcable. The important bit of that is that they are explicitly mentioned and allowed. Esk8s are not. Esk8s are not recognized or categorized or even have any level of awareness surrounding them.

Its time to shit or get off the pot. Either then need to be legal or not.

Super stealthy is the way to go If they can’t explain it’s simple, muste be magic!

1 Like