FOCBOX UNITY | Official

Its hard to tell with all the winkeys and smileys. You’re like an emotional rollercoaster and you frequently backtrack.

I suspect the xt60 is for backwards compatibility with raptors and because there’s a shitload of stock of them on the shelf.

3 Likes

Yeah, I have prepared extension for XT60 to XT80 but my current focboxes just freaking rocks thanks again @okp for supplying them (faster in Europe than directly from Enertion) :slight_smile: Because I was prepared to burn few of them then burned in no limit FW and turned up amperage a bit out of scope :smiley:

Rather than just throwing a bunch pf opinions around, do the math out and the conclusion is obvious.

You can safely push 90 amps through an xt60 forever more or less and they will just get a bit warm. at 12s lets say the voltage is 50v since this is rough estimate. So 90amps×50 volts = 4.5 kW. Firstly lets look at whatever battery your using. lets say its massive high end 12s8p samsung 30q, (probably >5% of our customers being generous) at ~10 amps per cell the capacity derates somewhere below 2.5 aH, your battery has a capacity of 2.5 Ah× 8p= 20 Ah. So you will kill your insanely massive battery in under 20Ah/90A = 14 minutes, Draining a 12s8p battery in 14 minutes isn’t realistic.

Now lets look at speed up an incline, say your going up a 20 degree slope which is insanely steep (steepest hill in SF is 17.5 degree). Your board is drawing 4.5 kW lets say its efficiency is 80%, it pretty much has to be this high to sustain 4.5 kW because this means you need to dissipate about 500 watts as heat or things will start melting. Lets say for easy numbers the rider board system is 100kg. We will use the derivative of the equation m×g×h = energy to get m×g×vertical speed = mechanical power. At 20 degree incline vertical speed will be 1/3rd of your total speed (sin(20 degree)) so

3*4000 W/(100 kg * 10 m/s^2) = 12 m/s

This is 27 mph (43 km/h) up the steepest hill you could possibly find. An electric skateboard will NEVER draw sustained 120 amps at 12s.

Part of good engineering is designing the system to meet the design requirements, not just throwing a bunch of the highest rated components together to feel special. AN XT60 IS PLENTY

33 Likes

smiling-face-with-open-mouth-and-smiling-eyes

3 Likes

Thank you for that. I’m fighting for every mm in my enclosure and xt60 is a bit smaller. So wires on Unity are 10AWG and 14AWG?

1 Like

@Deodand and @onloop can you explain the reason behind the bright ass hunter orange and not the black like the beta test it just looks like a child picked the color with everything else black or it should have come out around halloween throw a mouth on there and it is like a jack o lantern. I did like @mackann picture it shows the good comparison of size between the to I had seen the numbers but it is totally different when you see it side by side something that is suppossed to be an alternative.

I believe its 12 gauge power input 14 phase. You can see the gauge printed here

20181114_004650

6 Likes

@briman05 Because it looks cool, and it’s in an enclosure anyway

What kind of a question is that though? Would you like it if I asked similar questions on the way you painted your instagram boards? You know @onloop worked his ass off on that design and personally I love it. It’s pretty rude. There’s a correct way to phrase the question you’re asking and get an answer and people have already done it above.

12 Likes

Damn guys, i had to pre-order one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Think its probably possible to dye the silicone black with some hair dye for those that want the bat-mobile look:

https://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/8581/how-to-dye-silicone-startselect-buttons/

1 Like

I’m not saying he didn’t work his ass off on the design I just don’t see the reason to have the beta be black and the production to be orange I could see the other way around and I understand it helps differentiate between a beta and a production for trouble shooting reasons if someone sends you a picture. You have said that the cover is made of silicone is it silicone like that of the wires where it is flexible or is it more of a ridged plastic.

But to answer your question you can ask me why I painted a board I did because usually there is a reason behind it and not because it looked cool. I will tell you that most likely it is because that is what my customer wanted so that is what I’m going to give them.

It’s about the hardness of a silicone phone case so fairly soft but the aluminum underneath makes it still feel quite sturdy. Feels pretty much like a bulky smart phone with a silicone case on it.

It isn’t very difficult to be polite.

4 Likes

This hits close to home, but calculations are perfect. :joy:

Not saying I preordered, but I did. Let’s just hope a dual 6374 will never reach high amps. :smiley:

1 Like

True, that’s not a conservative assumption but the rest are. You can derate the calculations linearly for hill speed so 150 kg would be about 18 mph up a 20 degree incline.

But can one replace the connector to XT90 just for sanity sake(also many pre-made battery packs come with it) or this will void the warranty as heck? Also what are the barrels for the motors? 3.5mm?

Sorry if this has been asked before , but does the unity internal BT module work with metr app ?

2 Likes

It’s very easy to change to 5.5 connectors and xt90, took me 5 min so it’s np that they come like that (even if I would prefer they wouldn’t ) I just wish that the motor cable was awg 12 atleast, 14 seems abit low? That is a little more time spending swap and you need to solder on the unity and not cables.

Here is a test, the setup is extremely easy, you have done a fantastic job with the install process of the software!

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words! A big update to the app is underway at the moment to add more customization config for throttle curves, switch settings, etc. Should be live when people have units in hand along with all the source etc. I think for the source code I’ll maintain a stable release branch alongside a testing branch.

Here’s a quick summary of the testing process since jet lag doesn’t let me sleep:

Our testing jig is fully automated. 2 raptor 2 hub motors are plugged in with hall sensors and motor temp sensors. A 48V power supply is plugged in, alongside a fixed signal ppm cable, a programatically controlled switch and a usb cable. The software connects updates the bootloader and the firmware, reboots the unit and confirms that the update went succesfully upon reconnection. Then it reads the sensor values to ensure all temperatures, input voltages, etc are within predefined limits of normalcy. Next it runs a full dual automated motor calibration and then spins up the motors to 20% duty cycle for 5 seconds, it then confirms motor rpms are within predefined thresholds. Then it starts a dual foc_openloop test at 40 amps for 5 seconds. It monitors the change in temperature in the fets and ensures that this change is below a predefined threshold. Next it disconnects from the unit and tests the connectivity of the bluetooth module. Finally it presses the power switch to shutdown the module, then tries to connect to it in the powered down state. If the unit is powered off and unable to reconnect then the jig passes the unit.

The factory wanted to test all units before conformal coating was applied and units assembled to make any reworks easier. We wanted the tests to be performed on the ready to ship units. The final decision was to do the full test twice since it only takes about a minute and is mostly automated. This means 100% of units shipped will go through a full functional test twice so we shouldn’t see many dead on arrival :slight_smile:

7 Likes

What about including another step and running for a few seconds 80A open loop? Just to make sure all mosfet solder points are good and no intermediate failure or heating up would happen? I had couple of focbox fail because of bad solder joints even if they there functioning on the table without issues.

Its just my idea to ensure quality of everything because 40A are not much compared to what it can handle what do you think @Deodand ?

I’m sorry. I 100% disagree.

Throw ALL THE POWER at it! I’ll solder some 1AWG wires on this beast, an XT-500 and 50KW at it. I need to power my 60lb ass up a 5 degree incline fast!

/S if it wasn’t obvious already :yum:

5 Likes