FOCBOX UNITY | Official

Here’s as detailed a response as I can give. Disclaimer is I’m speaking just on my own understanding of the issue.

We don’t want you to take apart the unit.We’ve tested and the connectors are amply sized for the high drain esk8 applications. 120 amp FOC openloop tests didnt melt them or damage them in anyway and the unity will throttle down before enough heat is generated in the connector since the FETs Rds on is higher than the connector resistance and they are tolerant to less heat than reflow temp of solder. I already explained the xt60 is large enough. We perform a ton of testing to ensure quality and the second you take apart the unit and expose internals some of that quality testing gets jeapordized. If you melt through the connectors and that’s what damages the unit it will be covered under warranty.

It isn’t that we don’t trust you, but everyone makes mistakes. Just the other night I took apart a unit to desolder a fet to ensure detection on the jig and set the thermal pad near my solder station, a piece of wire got stuck to the bottom thermal pad and I reassembled without looking like a dummy. It shorted across some of the exposed copper on the underside of the board and my unit went up in smoke. Is it enertions responsibility to replace this unit? I think most everyone would agree that it isn’t, it was my fault for not working in a clean environment and taking proper precautions.

On the other hand what if I recieved my unit, swapped out the connectors, and there also happened to be some unrelated manufacturing defect on the unit that caused it to work improperly? It is unlikely but possible, but it becomes extremely difficult to know for certain, we can be fairly certain the unit worked when we shipped it to you since we did a full host of tests, and if the connectors are swapped we also know you opened the unit up, potentially exposing it to conductive debris (conformal coating should help with this). If the failure is something like a fet shorting near one of the motor leads, my guess is you wouldn’t be covered under warranty since it is most likely the issue arose during the connector swap. If however the issue was something totally unrelated (say the usb connector broke off or something) then my guess is we’d warranty the unit.

I hope people can understand the difficult position that puts us in. We can guarantee the quality of the product but once you tamper with it, it becomes unclear if the cause of failure was manufacturing defects.

** Swapping connectors is unnesasary and should be done at your own risk.** That said the risk is fairly low, and personally I wouldn’t be too scared to do it (clean up your lab bench beforehand :slight_smile:)

A final thing I just thought of is that if you don’t swap the actual wires and only the connectors on the ends of the wires, such an operation would be much lower risk since the pcb can stay in its enclosure. I’m really not sure on how that works out warranty-wise. Anyways this is why no one has gotten a straight answer because every case of warranty will be different.

10 Likes

Will the Bluetooth module work with the metr app? Thanks for being responsive and helpful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Answered above in the thread in more detail, but we didn’t come to an agreement unfortunatley so the module is not compatible with metr. We will work to add some logging functionality within our app.

This is awesome. Your guys work on this sounds so nice… I can’t wait to get the funds for one for myself.

Question: should this have any issues connecting to two focboxes via canbus for 4wd (unity+2x focbox)?

Regarding the wireless modules we are going to release reference designs for both the remote and bluetooth modules that sit within the unity so that others can develop their own compatible modules if desired. Imagine if we could even get a standard going across future vesc-based designs to support these two modules :smile: . We don’t want the DIY folks to feel locked into our ecosystem.

2 Likes

Unity with 2 focbox should work great, haven’t actually tested it but haven’t really touched the CAN protocol stuff too much so it all should work the same. I’ll make sure and maintain compatibility if I do need to adjust anything. To be clear I did a lot of testing with dual unity, just not unity + dual focbox.

2 Likes

What’s the issue with making an iOS build? :grinning: Isn’t qt cross platform? :smile:

Yup, it’s a licensing issue is all. GPL v3 code cant be put in apple store. I’ll post instructions on how to sideload for the savvy but we’ll be working in parallel on an alternate solution.

2 Likes

Would going 13s with the unity void the warranty, is it safe. I am pretty sure I read that going up a large hill full charge and full throttle would go over the limit but there are not many hills where I live and if I didn’t go full throttle would it be fine? Thanks

1 Like

Ship! Ship! Time to ship those units!

3 Likes

Is there any future of there being an iOS app cause it was well known for a year that GPL was not going to be maintained any more but will still be supported. But it could be done in metal to make it work with iOS

@onloop Separate question, have you thought about selling the raptor hub drive system separate as well?

Hi, I have a couple of questions about the unity controller.

1. It states current and voltage monitoring on all phases. How does it read each cell? I do not see a plug for the battery cells.
  2. Is the bluetooth connectivity capable of reading live data? What android software does it have?
  3. Is the switch an antispark one?
  4. Can a fuse be added for further protection as with standalone anti spark switches. Thanks.

Thank you. Puts that question to bed :grin:

phases means like motor phases not about the battery. It can only monitor total pack voltage not individual cell voltage. This may be possible (in the future) with a smart bms that communicates to the unity.

cough @JTAG cough

1 Like
  1. Yes, its a app/software they made, its extremely easy to work with, my grandmother could probely install a new vesc with it, it looks like this: Screenshot_20181115-085405 Screenshot_20181115-090056 But any vesc compatible app works.
  2. Yes, with push to start function to
  3. Not inside the vesc, but you could sure add one before the vesc
3 Likes

Thanks for the quick replies.

This is incorrect, only the FOCBOX UI and FOCBOX TOOL app works with the Unity. Metr also has compatibility if you have one of their modules. Please do not try to use the regular tool with the Unity it will not function correctly.

3 Likes

Those do not appear on play store though. Do they have to be side loaded?