FOCBOX UNITY | Official

Personally I think a rainbow one would be an insanely awesome eye catcher and I would be sad that I had to hide it away in an enclosure.

1 Like

20181116_000054-01 20181116_000029-01

33 Likes

Im quoting my self :slight_smile:

Is that the whole assembly that people will be receiving

It fits raptor 2 enclosure, doesn’t include fuse or switch

I’m pretty sure that is all of the electronics in the raptor 2.1, so no, people that preordered get just the unity and power switch

I don’t get why everyone is up in a fuss about XT60 vs XT90. I got into this from FPV models, and I’ve seen the XT60 take one hell of a beating. There are people pulling 140A through it for 2 mins constant, 260A burst current. hell, today I was soldering up a 10s lipo for my board, broke out the multimeter to check some voltages between main ground and the balance lead and shorted the xt60 male I was using as a soldering jig. the multimeter probe was molten, there was one hell of an arc and bang, but the connector didn’t fuse, I could unplug it no hassle whatsoever. The hobbyking product page for the xt60 shows what happens after 5 min of constant 70A, and I can’t conceive of the situation where your board is pulling 70A for 5 mins unless you have a death wish

3 Likes

Is the onboard anti spark with a fuse ? Or do i need to use one separately for safety ?

1 Like

I think the main thing is, if the mfg specs 60a for the connector, you’re taking risk pushing it further. A conscientious manufacturer will have some room past the max spec, but each connector will have some variance, and each manufacturing batch will have variance. And there’s wear and tear to account for. Some manufacturers specify expected cycle life for their connectors (I don’t think AMASS does, at least for XT series).

Also there’s like 5 different types of XT60. Perhaps the different types have slight variances in their fit.

It’s kinda like the 30Q cell. Most current tests have it running happily at 20a, but mfg specs for 15a. You might buy a cell tomorrow that works at 15a but catches fire at 20a.

So the manufacturer draws a line, and we choose which side of the line to be on. If you want stuff to last long, you stay on the conservative side. If you’re hotrodding and overclocking, go the other way.

We’re routinely exceeding specs of nickel strips in battery packs too.

Does the unity ship with the inline fuse in the picture or is that exclusive to the raptor 2.1? If it’s exclusive can You please let us know the specs for it and would we be able to buy it as an option from you?

1 Like

Quoting my self quoting my self. But really can someone answer this?

5 Likes

@onloop @Deodand Can I ask you to update your website, I have been informed by customer service that the Unity’s first batch is already allocated, and all current orders, including mine ;-( won’t be dispatched until March, (second batch). (i ordered a few days ago)

I am now going to have $4000 dollars of component parts for my build laying around waiting on the Unity, for three to four months. (including 60x21700 cells, silly of me I know!). “Order Now & secure stock from first batch”

Your website still advertises this Capture

6 Likes

@adstars, Jason answered this two days ago mate :ok_hand:

@moone, thanks mate, this post is a long one,

Still not sure if that image should still be up on the site, as it gives the impression that you are guaranteed to get one from the first batch if you order now, which is not the case.

Anyway, i will wait until the first batch is shipped, (you never know i might be lucky!) before i think about alternatives for my build. Going to struggle to find an alternative though as the small size of the unity makes it very appealing.

(below) LaCroix with 60x21700(12s5p) cells, not sure anything else would fit (it’s super tight already) and i don’t really want to drop a row of cells.

ccc5ce775ae65272edb85bddc12be27cb5ea1e29_1_690x244

4 Likes

On the product page at the Enertion webside it says it can support up to 12s. So I think that is the answer to your question.

Deodand has said it’ll probably be fine, but obviously you wont be covered if/when you blow the DRV as that is the weak point

build the full board and leave a spot for the unity so when you get it you can just drop it in and hook it up

I wonder how they take into account the different types of cell chemistries being used. For instance, 12s is the limit for Li-on, but I’m curious about LiFePO4, since 14s with those is similar to 12s for Li-on’s (I think, lol).

2 Likes

Connect the voltmeter to AUX 2pin?

Does the Unity have any kind of mounting holes? For example to make bottom exposed to the outside of enclosure for cooling as I guess top (Orange part) is mainly used for connections. Maybe it can deal with dual 6374 149kV beltdrives(~4.5kW theoretical maximum) no problem while in the bottom enclosure? What about hot (30’C) summer days? @Deodand