FVT 120a can not reach maximum speed

hello,i have a problem, after intensive driving, motor can not attain the maximum speed. It behaves as if it had a speed limit. Is it possible that the motor overheats and therefore can not reach the speed?

yes, possible. Or it is an error. I have had this only once… I restarted it and I remember it straight away… I do remember a bit warm air coming off from the fan … but it was not utterly hot.

Is it possible to check if this is definitely a bug?

Im not super sure.

What matter is that it still works as it should. I dont see it that dangerous.

2nd scenario - for some reason battery voltage went low enough to trigger low voltage mode.

Then it looks like, it also limits power tremendously.

I have put a ESC into thermal protection. Another possibility.

1 Like

Now I know that this is not a protection against overheating, the problem lies in something else. Look at the movie, the engine can not reach maximum speed, after resetting everything already works. What may be the problem?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6ceg1Wxbr1paDhCUDJKd2dGZGc

1 Like

Yup. The thermal protect would stay in limp mode till it was under max temp and reset.

motor sounds healthy when spinning up fully - so don’t hear any bad grinding or noises that might be a problem.

How hot is the motor? How hot is the ESC?

See if the ESC heatsink is clogged? blow it out/clean it and see if helps. I’d also try some forced cool air to see if it prevents it from going into the protection/slow mode?

if you do all that and it still keeps happening - likely a new ESC?

When I touch the engine it is very warm but does not burn the hand. The esc is slightly warm. Esc is new, I bought them yesterday. The previous fvt did not have this problem. I installed the fan on the motor but the problem still occurs, maybe the fan is too weak.

I do not know what to do, this problem spoils all the joy of driving. :disappointed_relieved:

These are my settings, maybe I have a badly set controller?

I disassembled the controller, to see if it is overheating. When the engine can not reach full speed, the red LED starts to blink. Controller is broken? On the previous fvt I had no such problem. What does blinking red LED mean?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6ceg1Wxbr1pbkVONlhVUXRrY3M

Will take a look at vids later, not at pc at the moment

What i would change is.motor timing

I think i have it at normal.but.im.not.sure can that cause your problem. If you know about timings.better than me then leave it as it is, otherwise i think high timing made better performance but ran everything a bit hotter

I set the motor timing to normal. The problem still occurs, it happens even without load.