HAYA HB83 Shortboard (Progress)

No same shape as the first deck you guys made. Just longer. I know that’s what @Wraith and a few others had mentioned way back when you first posted your deck. I do like the kicktail tho. Glad to see you guys back at it so soon.

2 Likes

Yeah, I too would say that. It’s too abrupt.

I bought some cheap generic longboard form a local kid just for the trucks and wheels (All my gear is in Munich, not spain).

Initial impressions are good:

• the short wheelbase feels comfortable and stable (tested downhill, not electrified)
  • I tend to angle my feet while riding, that allows me to use the full length of the wheelbase.
  • Transitioning the front foot also felt good as it is still quite wide at the very front (unlike a vanguard-like nose shape for example).
  • Maybe the pronounced (and dicussed) nose shape is ok, let me explain: most builders will tend to use narrower trucks on a short board, and as it can be appreciated in the pictures (full lean on the shitty trucks), the shape will help a lot with wheelbite when using e-skate 90+mm size wheels.
  • using the tail is a bit different, On a normal tail you kick and turn “at the same time”, and with this one there is a little lag inbetween. You first push and then turn. It turns well on the spot. And is fun to play with manuals ;D

IMG_3613 IMG_3614 IMG_3616 IMG_3611 IMG_3617 IMG_3612

6 Likes

Looks very very good indeed ! Would definetly be interested in one ? How you make it ? CNC a big chunk of wood ? or is it plywood ?

All the info is in the original HAYA thread link They are pressed and CNCd by a local company in northern spain (pamplona). The deck is finshed with a laser cut Aluminium lid.

1 Like

*moved to Mechanics until a board is listed for sale in this thread. Thank you.

3 Likes

Looking good! that tail yeh

Will the deck be made out of alum sheet as before or are you going with a different material?

1 Like

Amazing! But seems there is no space for forward motor mounts am I wrong?

The deck will still be made with 1mm beech plys and the lid out of 1,2mm alu. Sourcing other materials would be much more expensive for us I think.

The company that presses the decks works only with beech wood. They literally process them from raw logs to plys and then decks or other stuff in the same facility. Laser cutting prices are also hard to beat, super affordable.

3 Likes

I theory yes there should, will have to look at that in CAD, maybe we have to make it some mm longer to make more room.

2 Likes

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or maybe even done this on your deck or another one but why not have someone (maybe @mmaner) do some designs to be 3d printed to add the kicktail angle and/or concave you’d like…? You put it under the grip so it stays in place and it won’t ever move and will feel normal. I do it with foam or cardboard for foot placements on a lot of my builds but I just can’t ride a board (especially a powerful esk8) that’s flat on top personally. Would have bought your first desk if I could.

Something like this idea but wedges or different smaller angels to resemble drops, concave, tail shape, etc… (am I late to the party thinking of this already)

1 Like

A 3d printable, blot-on, kick should be very easy to do. Printed with a raft/support to match the concave.

2 Likes

early CAD proto.: HAYA_short_cad

We also visted the company that makes them for us and had a long chat with them (Its always fun to explain how everything works, what this forum is etc :slight_smile: ) They said that they dont see any issue making the shorter design. Its gonna take some time though, they have a quite big workload right now. Production “could” happen at the end of feb./early march (they are super quick usually).

Next step is getting CNCd prototypes and then brutally testing them.

11 Likes

You’re edging closer, think I saw a prototype looks killer!

5 Likes

More infos today :), Im waiting for some Pics from my Father. Im pretty happy with the end result, now we (@StefanMe an I) have to do some real world testing.

2 Likes

Matías, do you think it will work a deck milled out of a big chunk of pressed bamboo?

I dont think so, we would have to rework the design to 2 sepparate enclosures to a Vanguard like deck. We have some mockups, but it would be a board design for the furue (when im Finished with Uni work around the end of the year…). Adding glass fiber to mantain some rocker adds a bit of complexity too.

Oh sorry, I mean we just got a workbee CNC router at work ( I have to practice :slight_smile:) and I have access to a good and cheap bamboo, then I Thought to mill a deck out of bamboo, similar to haya with some tweaks, because it’s my favourite and daily driver e-deck until today.

Just similar, and not for sale.

Vertically laminated bamboo?

I think it should be available, this is where it comes from: https://bambusa.nl/assortiment/ Im hijacking your thread :slight_smile:

1 Like