Heat Sink Foam?

Hey guys,

Whilst doing some research i thought of an idea to help release some of the heat from components in case they overheat. I know you can get aluminium heat sink but i was wondering how well does heat sink foam work?

I was thinking you could maybe put it under the vesc and other parts inside the enclosure. Does anyone know if this would work? here are some i found online…

http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/copper_foam.jpg

It is copper wires coiled together to make a foam block. I was thinking of maybe having a anti-vibration foam with this on top and the the electrical components on top of that.

1 Like

Zoinks. Looks like a lot of shorting potential.

3 Likes

i would hard mount heatsinks and otherwise cushion or mount the VESC before using a bigger copper foam like this. I would guess a regular heatsink would have more surface area (in contact of FETs) and likely better heat transfer as a result. Venting any heat into the air or even enclosure to dissipate.

Cool idea though!

1 Like

May be a problem if it is conductive, as you can not really control where it goes.

i was wondering why people wouldn’t use it, but i guess thats why haha, good thing i asked. I don’t tend to think too much about things, i just assume they work

Some kapton where you don’t want shorts. I can immagine this cools very well in an airstream (always while riding), maybe on top of a thin alu/copper plate.

where did you get this?

1 Like

just thought of it whilst searching for waterproof foam

Yup! That seems like a bad idea. But it does raise a new question: are there non-conducive foam materials that could dissipate heat? I would love to fill some of the gaps in my enclosure with something useful.

1 Like

Exactly my thoughts

quote myself lol

I have never mounted a heat sink that is not conductive, I would say try it out, perhaps mounted on another smaller heat sink, and have an insulater on the portions that need it. how does one mount a product like this? Epoxy with a smaller aluminuim plate? straps?

Do you have a link to the product, or a datasheet?

Kapton tape is not magical and will eventually rupture, because the vibration will make the foam scratching the surface.

just some image i found on google, with heat sink foam written on it

Wasn’t the foam there to reduce vibration? But for sure kapton isn’t magic, else i would eat it and become magic myself!

http://www.lord.com/products-and-solutions/electronic-materials/thermoset-sc-320-thermally-conductive-silicone-encapsulant

Wish I’d got this instead of the stuff I got

This stuff and a couple stick on heat sinks on the fets and I think it’d be able to take real physical abuse and survive the heat.

I don’t have any heat problems ever. Never shut down. No heat sinks.

kampton tape would thermally insulate I’d think. Doubt it’s thermally conductive.

1 Like

Not sure if this flexible enough to even reduce vibration, it seem to be only good for reducing weight.

“can” and are good are two different things. Wood can conduct/dissipate heat, but it sucks compared to any metal.

Silver, Copper, Aluminum (gold in there too between copper and aluminum if you are rich and want bling) - from most efficient to least. Take a look at the thermal conductivity of those metals as it’s pretty interesting. Again like others mentioned why i’ve used Arctic Silver 4/5 for years on my PC’s heatsinks.

i would stick with the tried and true heatsinks vs a thermally conductive foam. i want small/light and easy. Adding some fins or the mount like @Chaka offers seems like the best solution IMO. Some thermal paste to external fins w/ airflow would be my ultimate setup (while still enclosed/sealed from elements).

That’s probably true! Flat is always better :smiley:

Maybe wee need a 2 part system with a heatpipe, so we can dissipate heat at the bottom of the board, and rebuy the actual heatsink for cheap if it breaks / gets too scratched.

The e-go has a fan that attaches to the motor. That’s easy if u have the holes.

get it out instead of transferring it to the hanger and making bushings softer.

I did thermal paste to the hanger and it’s hard to notice much benefit. Bigger motors is the solution of course.

Maybe make sure the windings are really well insulted at the soldered leads and squirt water or blast with pressurized air on the way up a mountain