Help me upgrade my board's drivetrain

sorry didn’t mean to derail your thread @taz but would consider the six shooters. I owe @psychotiller some support and more importantly money lol his wheels speak for themselves and I recall @mmaner getting around 3k miles before actually getting a flat when running over an object(can’t recall what it was)

I’d get a set but the hubs I’ve got aren’t compatible with the six shooter tires/tubes yet but He’s putting a newer version together from what He’s hinted

Don’t worry about it. I am the king at derailing my own threads. I am getting surfrodz with mounts from psychotiller but I am still on the fence between sixshooters and 107s

3 Likes

Yeah I jumped on a set of surfrodz too and it only sunk in that I’d only be able to use one truck cause my drive isn’t compatible with it :neutral_face:

Those mounts are gonna be amazing!

He’s got those green 107s now. If you do maintenance to keep chunking from happen you can get crazy miles out of urethane. @Deckoz use a super glue on his wheels on a regular basis for maintenance to prevent chunking from happening.

Your WH usage will go to 21-28.

I suppose this is in miles not km?

yes, we of the queens english (not really :slight_smile:) use imperial standards.

I get about 28 WHM on my Bludgeon with 6 shooters, but Im a bigger guy and I’m running 25mm belts and pulleys. Im guessing I’d get 23-25 with 15mm belts and pulleys. I average 15-18 WHM with thane.

1 Like

Thanks. That amounts to around 70% increase in Wh/km (or Wh/mi for those of the Queens english :grinning:) Damn I still can’t make up my mind.

1 Like

I know someone who might be able to help

@Skunk

:joy: edit: although I think 28whm to 15-18whm is a considerable jump. Where do you plan on riding most often? that may help tilt the scales in favor of one over the other

Don’t push me man. I got links in my computer I am not afraid to use…:joy:

1 Like

It takes a lot more lightning to turn big wheels, but the ride quality makes up for it. I honestly can’t think of a single thing about 6’ers that I don’t like. The tooling is great, the tires and tubes perform really well and are inexpensive, they are frikkin gorgeous, bets ride performance of any numie out there, they are 6 inches so you get a lot more road feel than other numies…

When you buy a set of ABEC FlyWheels, you expect a lifetime usage of some about of weeks. When you buy 6’ers you just change out tires and tubes every once in awhile. They are literally lifetime wheels.

3 Likes

Yet, you have said in the past that you prefer the feel of thanes

Downside to thane:

20180916_084448

These bitches have less than 200 miles. And I always superglue its and cuts. Kinda shitty.

2 Likes

Damn, none of my wheels (MBS AT 100mm and 97mm clones) have any chunking.

Thanes are great on nice asphalt and will feel like a numie(my best guess) but on anything less than those ideal road conditions, probably better to do your feet a favor and go with six shooters. I’m guessing size and weight(slight) isn’t a factor you’re taking into consideration?

I do prefer thane, for 10 mile rides and most days. For unknown terrain or 20 mile rides I go with the 6’ers almost every time.

It’s a matter of drive vs. ride. With thane your 2 inches from the ground and your ‘riding’ the deck. With 6 inch wheels and the level of comfort they bring your ‘driving’ a vehicle.

A good analogy would be my vehicles. I have Tacoma a Charger and a 77 CJ7. When I wanna go fast I drive the Charger, when I wanna carry tools or whatever, I drive the Taco, When I wanna get wherever I’m going anyway I wanna go whether that be grass & mud or Mountains I take the CJ7.

My favorite is by far the CJ7, but I only put 2,000 miles on it last year. I put 24,000 miles on my Taco.

It’s also a daily preference thing. I decide on a whim which board I wanna ride, recently I did a 16 mile ride on 90mm thane. It was hell on the feet but still fun.

1 Like

No, not really. As I understand it six shooters are not heavier than 107s and my board is a beast in any case (11kg).

20180917_161758

As long as it is carrying me and not the other way around I got no problem with a few extra grams.

3 Likes

yeah you’re probably right, another reason to get them I suppose? :grin:

Nice build by the way, looks like its seen lots of shredding and no chunking on the mbs either which leads me to think thane generally will last longer with your riding which is good!

btw what handle is that? I’ve been thinking of attaching one to my deck but still considering what options are best.

1 Like

Don’t let the tread wear fool you. These wheels have a little over 300km on them. I shaved them on my lathe since everyone was raving about how much better they were shaved. Waste of time in my case since I can only tell the difference on ultra smooth roads. The handle is this https://eskating.eu/product/ruk-handle-for-electric-skateboards/ and it makes carrying the board a lot easier.

3 Likes

the image on the link looks diff from whats on your deck for some reason or maybe its just the perspective :thinking:

looks nice though! did you mount it as described on the enclosure bolts? I’d prefer to reduce the amount of bolts but don’t know if a few bolts can support the weight on a heavy deck. I assume I’d be getting about the same weight as well. did you have all 4 bolts through it?