Help with hollowing-out 3D model

So i’m finally down to the enclosure on my build… Its nearly finished, only need to find how to hollow it out. Cant seem to find it :confused:

Could someone hollow it out with 5mm thick borders for me ? please ? pretty please ? :blush: I made it in inventor, but i can export it to a different format if needed.

https://hddemonie.myqnapcloud.com/share.cgi?ssid=0SEAxs6

Try to use the shell function

2 Likes

Shell, Move surfaces, Create the enclosure body and then substract the inside, There are many ways to do it, you got it! Shell is definitely the easiest way

I tried it but i cannot get it to work for 5mm borders, i have to use 20mm…

Is there an offset function? Thats What i use in F360

That’s weird I swear I have made it thinner than that. I feel like a constraint might be doing something there but idk.

Could you possibly do it for me ? :smiley:

I’ve been tinkering again, somehow it does it on 1mm, 2mm and 3mm but not my desired 5mm arghhh haha

1 Like

hold on i’ll try in a few minutes

its because the flanges. i added 1mm to the thickness of both of them and was able to shell it https://drive.google.com/file/d/10LqTXVyhPtAqPnPX8JjtCWkxACzmEBFP/view?usp=sharing

you gotta shell it before adding the flanges if you dont want the flanges to effect the shell

2 Likes

I assume the problem has been solved?

Nope, i just checked the model… first off, thank you for your effort, really appreciate it. But there are some weird circle thingies in that flanges.

Also, I might need some thicker borders to be able to print it in nylon…

It does’t let me open the file in Inventor, I’ve tried importing to Solidworks but still nope.

1 Like

Prob a dumb question, but just to be sure. Did you use the .ipt file ?

I just uploaded a model where i hollowed it out. Not sure if it is done well cause I resently began to work with inventor.

wmj259 I don’t know if this matters but maybe it is because it is made in 2018 version or something. I can open the file without any errors.

2 Likes

ooooh you want the flanges solid?

yea :smiley:

Thanks mate !

That maybe the reason, for some reason I have AutoCAD 2018 installed but Inventor is at 2016… :angry:

1 Like

I actually use designspark mechanical. Totally free and has a fully functional shell tool. Check it out.